Freshmen contributors

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

One of my favorite parts of the season is seeing who among the freshmen will play.

Sounds like Jevon Bigelow could get a look at RB. Jalani Ellison could get a look at CB and Chad Muma at LB.

Will also be interesting to see who gets time among the redshirt freshmen. I’m hoping to see Victor Jones in action.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Chad Muma is my favorite prospect from this class. Think he has Logan Wilson potential.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

Lander, I don't think drinking and messaging is very good for anyone.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

NebraskaCowboy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:35 am Lander, I don't think drinking and messaging is very good for anyone.
Fixed the OP! :coffee:
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I'm hoping to see a TE break through. I know we signed 2 big kids in back to back years (6'7", 240+ lbs.), it would be huge if at least one of them could come in and play like an extra blocker on the line while still being a downfield threat on occasion.

Solomon Byrd is another name I was excited to hear about when he signed. But I doubt we'll hear much from young guys who are sharing a position with Granderson, lol
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Sounds like Bigelow is making real progress.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... 932c2.html

Who tore their Achilles today? I couldn't make out what Bohl was saying.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

It was Rowe Jackson who had the Achilles injury. That is a tough one to come back from. He is great athlete played QB in high school, but they had him slated as a running back.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

marcuswyo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:29 pm It was Rowe Jackson who had the Achilles injury. That is a tough one to come back from. He is great athlete played QB in high school, but they had him slated as a running back.
Thanks. Hopefully Velazquez's injury is nothing.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

If we are including redshirts, CJ Coldon will have the biggest impact as a freshman in my opinion. He looked great in the spring game and can deliver a hit. He is the new Al Rich at corner.

At TE, I want to see Weinman get some playing time. He is "7 feet tall and you can't teach that!"
castlerocker
Cowpoke

He is "7 feet tall
7 foot tall................?
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Who is Rocket? I'm sure I'm just not caught up on it, but this is only the second place I've seen or heard him referenced. Position?
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

'PokeForLife wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:10 pm Who is Rocket? I'm sure I'm just not caught up on it, but this is only the second place I've seen or heard him referenced. Position?
Rocket Ismail Jr, WR
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Jackson's first name is spelled, Reow, pronounced something like 'Rio'. I really do feel for the young man as the Achilles injury is very difficult to come back from, not impossible, just difficult.

True Freshmen:

I would be very surprised if Jevon Bigelow was not in the RB rotation to start the season, and there is a chance that he will be No. 1 when the season starts.

Other freshmen that I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the field:
Ja'lani Ellison - Has such talent that it will be hard to keep him off the field.
Chad Muma - Very mature player and probably the biggest recruiting steal out of Colorado.

Other possible true freshmen:
Solomon Byrd - Has already opened up some eyes and is very mature physically. With moving Victor Jones permanently to DT (won't be splitting time at DE per Bohl) and Josiah Hall working on some health issues as is De'Vaughn Brown, Byrd could move into the rotation.
Gunner Gentry - I feel that his chances are slim but still worth discussing. Raghib Ismail, Jr. (Rocket) has stepped in and already appears to be pushing for more playing time per Bohl today. C.J. Johnson is out for the season, and Jared Scott is going through concussion protocol and John Okwoli has something going on with his hand so there is room here for more guys to step in. Bohl hasn't talked a great deal about the WR position, so we don't know how guys like Ayden Eberhardt or Gunner Gentry or even Austin Conway are doing. I am assuming that Conway is a first stringer, and there has been talk about Avante' Cox emerging this year.

Redshirt freshmen that will see the field:
C.J. Coldon - Starting CB.
Tyler Vander Waal - Starting QB.
Eric Abojei - Should be starting guard as long as his concussion protocol goes well.
Keyon Blakenbaker - Has worked himself into the rotation at CB.
Rudy Stofer - Has worked his way into solid depth at OT.
Victor Jones - Is going to be a solid player giving support on the DL.

This last recruiting class was solid for sure and some will see the field this year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

castlerocker wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:04 pm
He is "7 feet tall
7 foot tall................?
;) there’s another 6’7 guy and a reference there all in one.