The World Needs More Cowboys

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I'm sure you've heard the controversy about this slogan and its supposed racist and the deed connotations. The funny thing to me is that there is some form of "cowboy" in each culture where cows are raised. And American cowboys were among the more inclusive and diverse groups of people.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Let people say what they want but I say Be Different! For UW to compete academically... and athletically you have to be unique. Do something the other guys aren't doing. If it were up to the board of trustees and our CSU loving president, we would be a junior college with slogan "that's the way we have always done it"

Craig Bohl and Larry Schyatt were the two biggest breathes of fresh air UW had seen in a long time and Schyatt just couldn't take their backwards way of thinking any longer. At least Tom Burman finally learned how to be an AD and is doing a fine job of shielding the Athletic dept from the small time thinking of the administration.
I'm good for 3!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

I like the slogan, our mascot is a cowboy. It’s like Ohio state alumni being called buckeyes, or BYU alumni being called piece of poop.

My only issue is it cost 500k and Ok state kind of was already using it. Pretty sure we have someone at our school that could figure out a slogan.

Georgia Techs mascot is a yellow jacket. All yellow jackets are female except drones who are only used to fertilize the queen. Seems the deed to me.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm totally all for inclusion and letting people put whatever labels on themselves that they want, including National Champions, but man. I do wish people would stop looking for insult where none is intended.

My culture is not your IKEA bag!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

At first glance, I thought, "we paid a Colorado company $500,000 to come up with The World Needs More Cowboys"??? Surely there could have been money better spent...

But then, they followed it up with this gem (the video) - which is fantastic.

And most importantly, the traction and attention "The World Needs More Cowboys" is getting, is quite incredible. The $500,000 is pennies compared to what is going on right now in the media with the new slogan! Well done UW!!! And thanks to all you sensitive little bitches for pushing it further and further every day for us!

A perfect follow up to Josh Allen. :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

I especially like the line "our cowboys are every the deed and race. They come from Wyoming, Montana, Delaware, and Nigeria". That ought to shut up the knee-jerk reactions from one line of a campaign.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

El Mundo necesita más Vaqueros y Vaqueras

Problem solved
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Cornpoke wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 am Let people say what they want but I say Be Different! For UW to compete academically... and athletically you have to be unique. Do something the other guys aren't doing. If it were up to the board of trustees and our CSU loving president, we would be a junior college with slogan "that's the way we have always done it"

Craig Bohl and Larry Schyatt were the two biggest breathes of fresh air UW had seen in a long time and Schyatt just couldn't take their backwards way of thinking any longer. At least Tom Burman finally learned how to be an AD and is doing a fine job of shielding the Athletic dept from the small time thinking of the administration.
This slogan/ ad campaign is for the entire school not just athletics. I'm sure it was done at the direction of the board and President.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

The video was impressive!
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

marcuswyo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:02 am I like the slogan, our mascot is a cowboy. It’s like Ohio state alumni being called buckeyes, or BYU alumni being called piece of poop.

My only issue is it cost 500k and Ok state kind of was already using it. Pretty sure we have someone at our school that could figure out a slogan.

Georgia Techs mascot is a yellow jacket. All yellow jackets are female except drones who are only used to fertilize the queen. Seems the deed to me.
Well, y'all can probably guess my feelings on this.

BTW, it's "pieces of poop". Don't they teach English in Laramie?

Go Pokes! Go AGGIES!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Nice catch on the spelling. Hard to spell when our state has real beer.

Have any Aggie players raped this week?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

marcuswyo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Woah! Take it easy! LK is a good guest.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Didn’t say he was a rapist just that his team’s players are. I appreciate his razzing, and he is a good poster. Only slight offense meant.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:54 am
And most importantly, the traction and attention "The World Needs More Cowboys" is getting, is quite incredible. The $500,000 is pennies compared to what is going on right now in the media with the new slogan! Well done UW!!! And thanks to all you sensitive little bitches for pushing it further and further every day for us!
No kidding. I was just watching Fox News, and they did a 5-minute segment on it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Genius!

The return on investment for this $500,000 has to be huge! Was a top story on Fox News and other outlets.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:27 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 am Let people say what they want but I say Be Different! For UW to compete academically... and athletically you have to be unique. Do something the other guys aren't doing. If it were up to the board of trustees and our CSU loving president, we would be a junior college with slogan "that's the way we have always done it"

This slogan/ ad campaign is for the entire school not just athletics. I'm sure it was done at the direction of the board and President.
If you notice I mention academics first before athletics. My point is I think it's fantastic that someone is thinking outside the box and if the administration are the ones behind it then I give them credit. I just have a hard time believing this idea came from the board or the president.
I'm good for 3!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Is that too long to be a commercial on tv during our nationally televised games?
W-Y, Until I Die!
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:57 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Woah! Take it easy! LK is a good guest.
It's a fair shot. To be honest, I've been a bit concerned that in trying to dig ourselves out of the hole, we've become a bargain basement version of Baylor, bringing on athletically talented kids of high risk character that really good programs didn't want to take a chance on. While I'm not at all happy about the bad apples we've had in the program the last few years, at least the program has been dealing with them, and not just covering up. Of course, covering up isn't as easy as it used to be, anywhere.

And the Pokes are still my second favorite team. I hope you guys have a great season. As always, I hope the Mountain division title is decided by our game.

And I like the slogan. As a guy who spent lots of summers on a horse in the Bridger Wilderness and the Wind River Wilderness, I'd have to agree; the world would be a better place with more Cowboys.

Some day I'll have to regale you with tales of my summer working as an electrician's helper in the school renovation in Kemmerer, would have been the summer of 1980, if memory serves. Yup, I have a definite fondness for Wyoming.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:25 pm Is that too long to be a commercial on tv during our nationally televised games?
It would be pretty easy to shave 24 seconds off that to put it at 60 seconds, the perfect length for a commercial.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.