Truth on Allen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
mdljet
Buckaroo

Aright guys, i'm a Jet fan and i'm here to get the truth about Josh Allen.

Appears fans of all teams think it's a huge mistake to draft him, yet all experts have him going top 5. So what's the deal, is the accuracy that bad? Because that's what's most important. Could care less if he can launch it while rolling right or whatever. Especially with Jet fans dealing with the massive bust that Hackenberg is. He wasn't able to learn accuracy, along with many other QBs, so why should Allen be different??
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Thanks for stopping by mdljet.

The accuracy "problem" has some truth and some lies.

Allen certainly struggled at times with the short to medium passes over the middle of the field but was pretty much money on the 5 and 10 yard outs outside the hashes. The production was down this year because he wasn't working with much of anything. Our WR's this year struggled to get separation from DB's. 2016 was a better reflection of what he can do with good talent.

The accuracy problems gets compounded because of Wyoming's offensive scheme. It's a very vertical passing game that doesn't run any screens or slants for the most part. Take this for example if he would have completed just 2 more passes per game this year his % goes from 56% to 64% and none of this talk is happening. Wyoming throws deep and often, in a more modern spread system Allen's completion percentage would have been much better with slants and screens and running back dump offs.

I'm sure many others will share their opinions as well. Thanks again for checking in!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

I'd say look at the senior bowl and what happened when he had a line that protected him for a bit. He did not have that this year at Wyoming, nor did he have a run game to take pressure off of him. When he got injured, his backup (also a junior) got completely dominated by the worst team in the FBS (San Jose State).

Most of the fans saying he's crap is the same old P5 crowd who will hack on any QB not coming out of a big program. They did it with the last NFL QB draftee Bohl and Vigen coached as well, and he's turned out quite alright.

That said, if you don't have a line for Josh, and you don't have receivers who can handle bullets (he throws hard, he won't be successful.
mdljet
Buckaroo

Was he missing easy throws? Every QB with some talent can "show flashes" but it's about being consistent and reading defenses. Those 2 more passes can change the game and if he's flat out missing guys on easy throws, that's a cause for concern because those can be drive killers. Those should be gimmes every time.

Did he lead the team to wins, comeback wins, string together big drives?
tbcpoke
Buckaroo

mdljet wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29 am Was he missing easy throws? Every QB with some talent can "show flashes" but it's about being consistent and reading defenses. Those 2 more passes can change the game and if he's flat out missing guys on easy throws, that's a cause for concern because those can be drive killers. Those should be gimmes every time.

Not only did he lead the team to wins, he was the team. Asmodeanreborn said it right. Without Josh we did not have game last year.

Another thing that does not get mentioned is last year we were on of the worst run teams in college football. Some might say that the run game suffered because of the passing but if you go back just one year, with a different line and a much better running back you will see much more of what you might expect out of JA.

Almost every big win we had was a comeback win in the 4th quarter. Josh, along with the rest of the team, had icewater in their veins in these situations. That, IMO, is a testimate to good coaching, but the player still has to go out their an perform.

With a running game that keeps defenses honest and a line that can give an acceptable amount of time to pass, you will have the guy in JA. He has the moxy, the intelligence and the skillset to be successful in the NFL. Oh yeah, he also strives to have folks tell him he cannot perform.

my two cents
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

He is a bum. The Jets would do good to stay far, far away from him. Look elsewhere.

Of course I am saying this because the Jets would be the last place I would want him to go. Bad situation. I would prefer Cleveland.

Josh will be the best QB from this class. Yes he led us to wins, comeback wins and strung many drives together. He missed som throws here and there just like every QB. The point the previous poster was making about the 2 more completions a game wasn't that he only missed 2 a game so it didn't matter it was that if we had thrown screen passes or buuble screens like the other QB's in the draft then the completion % wouldn't be an issue. IF he was in Baker Mayfields offense his completion % would be much higher.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Call the Jet's coach right away. Tell them NOT to draft Allen. You DO NOT want him in NY. Let someone else take him.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

He was saddled with the worst offensive coordinator in college football, was constantly under pressure, had receivers drop easy ones, got to throw few relatively easy passes (the short passes he had were 5 yd outs to the opposite hash sideline that travelled 45 yards in the air), every third down was 3rd and 8 and was an obvious passing down.

Josh is the best leader I've ever seen. He will be great and you won't be disappointed
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

mdljet wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29 am Was he missing easy throws? Every QB with some talent can "show flashes" but it's about being consistent and reading defenses. Those 2 more passes can change the game and if he's flat out missing guys on easy throws, that's a cause for concern because those can be drive killers. Those should be gimmes every time.

There are head-scratching misses, yes. Swing pass that goes 5 feet over the target, things like that. I would encourage you to watch the highlights for Tanner Gentry (best wide receiver Allen had here) in 2016 to see why Wyoming fans (and I would think Jets/any NFL fans) absolutely would live with with the misses, as frustrating/baffling as they are. I can confidently say that I have seen very few college quarterbacks who could make some of those throws and I say that with my homer glasses off.

As far as leading the team to wins, that is a definitive, easy yes. Last year we had one of the best defenses in the country and without Josh we would have won three games, four at best. That's how bad the situation was. Others have mentioned the San Jose State game, so I won't harp on that. On the flipside of last year's awful offense, the defense was one of the worst units the year before, and that was another 8-win season.

JA game winning /clinching drives. 2016: vs Northern Illinois (3OT win), vs #13 Boise State (first time we've ever beaten them), at UNLV (lost this game in OT, but Josh drove us 80+ yards in under a minute, tied it up with a TD with no time left), #24 San Diego State. 2017: vs Hawaii (OT win), at Utah State, vs Colorado State (rivalry game in the snow).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I don't believe Allen will be available at #3 honestly.

Allen had by far the least talented set of receivers this past year of any QB being considered for the NFL draft. That is the reality. Way too many dropped passes of his bullets . I am a firm believer that if the ball touches the receivers hands, it should be caught. Yes, i have seen the data that was presented on dropped passes...but the data collector was dead wrong on what passes should be considered drops. Additionally and has been mentioned, Allen led a largely vertical passing game during his time at Wyoming where the completion percentage naturally will be lower than a QB in a spread system throwing 5 yard out and WR screens every other play.

I've watched a lot of college football and personally I have never seen a more talented college QB or better competitor at the position. I wasn't around when John Elway was the quarterback for Stanford although.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

While most focus on Allen's arm and accuracy, it is good to remember how many plays he kept alive with his feet and strength. Mere mortals in many of those situations would have been sacked or forced to throw the ball away, while Allen was able to shed one, two, or more defensive players to have at least a shot at gaining yardage. If the Jet's line is a bit suspect (and I'll be honest, I have no idea), then Allen's mobility and size would be an asset as well.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

The honest truth?
We have an OC/QB coach that rarely uses slants or screen passes. I think we threw 4 screens all season long in 2017. And not much better on slants.

In 2016, we had a balanced offense, and really bad defense (we replaced him for a new guy in 2017). In 2017, basically all of Allen's support staff, including his Center, graduated and ended up in the NFL. In short, our defense got a lot better, but our offense basically became Josh.

This last year, we had no run game, but an OC that kept running a guy with no RB instincts on 1st and 2nd down. Often leaving Josh with 3rd and long. Even when a RB showed far better results and potential, the other still got priority.

Josh can escape defenders like no other, but his targets downfield often never got separation. But he can buy time, similar, MAYBE even better than Big Ben for the Steelers. Defenders have had him, dead to rights for a sack, and Josh has ran out of their grip, and still looked down field for an open guy. Or just tuck it and run if the opportunity presented itself.

Given half a decent o-line, and some reliable targets, Josh will "wow" you. And if your team is down, he will "will" the team to fight back, and claw back to win. He's a competitor, a player, and a team leader. He fired up the team time and again, always pushing for everyone to fight their hardest every game.

Could he use a year to maybe sit behind a NFL veteran? Sure. But he's also not one to back down from a challenge. Off the field, Josh Allen is a good kid, well-spoken, intelligent, and a hard worker. On the field, he's a fiery competitor and leader that refuses to quit.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

He's perfect for the Jets.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

This is purely my opinion, and I have no proof of any consequence, but I also believe Allen played hurt most of this year. I think the shoulder/hand injury that finally took him out of the last two games was nagging all year, and this is why some of his throws tended to sail a bit. He was also running for his life a lot as indicated by others. Combine those two things, and you get the accuracy result we see.

I've never seen a competitor like Josh, and a true leader in the locker room. More than once, he put the team on his shoulders and led them to victory. As others have said, give him a couple of receivers that can separate, an o-line that can block even a little bit, and a running back to take some pressure off, and he'll be a franchise QB.

GO POKES!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

There were head scratching moments where he would run around with the ball flailing one handed and he would fumble the ball... there were times he tried to make a throw that he obviously had no business throwing and it would be picked off, there were times where he would miss what looks like an easy throw. That being said, There were moments where he made the unimaginable play look easy.

Josh is a competitor who truly doesn't know how to quit. It would have been easy to quit when he was a nobody out of high school, it would have been easy to quit when he shattered his collarbone in his first chance at action at division one ball, but here he is on the precipice of being a potential number one draft pick. Why? Because he has a gift that is remarkable. He has grit that won't quit and the kid doesn't know how to quit. He will figure it out at the next level but I do think he will have a learning curve as most rookies do. If as a jets fan you are hoping he is the savior next year... you are probably unreasonable but if you are hoping he becomes a franchise qb in a few years, I think that is reasonable.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Not gonna lie, I found myself baffled by some of his throws all year long. Totally understand some people's skepticism. Accuracy at least has the potential to be fixed though. That's why he's so high.

Nagging injury isn't an excuse. Damn near every starting NFL QB has some sort of injury throughout the season. Drew Brees played with a torn plantar fascia on his plant leg and that still blows my mind.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 am Not gonna lie, I found myself baffled by some of his throws all year long. Totally understand some people's skepticism. Accuracy at least has the potential to be fixed though. That's why he's so high.

Nagging injury isn't an excuse. Damn near every starting NFL QB has some sort of injury throughout the season. Drew Brees played with a torn plantar fascia on his plant leg and that still blows my mind.
Toradol is a hell of a drug...
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

One thing that hasn't been said...

Josh has presence, in the huddle, and in the locker room. In all sports, there are personality types that distinguish talented players from good to great. LeBron is a good example of people wanting to play with a him. People that accept responsibility, don't pass the buck.

I can tell u that Rosen falls more in the category of selfish. Josh has had many people say already that the love playing with him.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Wicks wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:10 am Thanks for stopping by mdljet.

The accuracy "problem" has some truth and some lies.

Allen certainly struggled at times with the short to medium passes over the middle of the field but was pretty much money on the 5 and 10 yard outs outside the hashes. The production was down this year because he wasn't working with much of anything. Our WR's this year struggled to get separation from DB's. 2016 was a better reflection of what he can do with good talent.

The accuracy problems gets compounded because of Wyoming's offensive scheme. It's a very vertical passing game that doesn't run any screens or slants for the most part. Take this for example if he would have completed just 2 more passes per game this year his % goes from 56% to 64% and none of this talk is happening. Wyoming throws deep and often, in a more modern spread system Allen's completion percentage would have been much better with slants and screens and running back dump offs.

I'm sure many others will share their opinions as well. Thanks again for checking in!
100% accurate. It doesn't matter what NFL FANS think, most don't have any idea of the player and talent Josh has. He won't be a ok NFL quarterback. He will be a star.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

We also don’t throw to the RB at all. Wish we did. Run first offense that couldn’t run last year. 2nd and 10, 3rd and 8 for a lot of his pass attempts. Yes, like many have said, it’s a vertical pass offense that suppose to rush the ball and then punish the D with vertical passes except we were one of the worst rushing offenses in the nation last year. I for one believe whomever did the drop passes stat must be challenged because there was 6 or more in the Iowa game alone. As you see with many QBs they all will struggle against teams that are superior to them. I don’t care who you have a QB. It’s a team damn game
W-Y, Until I Die!