Black 14 - Featured Story on ESPN

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

ESPN story links to the following. http://theundefeated.com/features/black ... uper-bowl/

All these years later the incident is still a black eye that remains in the headlines. I imagine some recruits even today read this story and have a negative view of Wyoming. I really hope McKinney is right and the University is able to organize something to honor these former players and bring a positive light to the University.
GoGoPokes
Buckaroo

The Black 14 is an important story in the history of Wyoming athletics. I would say that probably for some time this was a significant black eye for the University. But after 50 years and with still some of the same things having to be fought/protested for in this country, I would find it hard to believe that because a decision that came in a very racially strife ridden time that people would harken back to something they didn't even live through as being something concerning about the state or University. Nearly every college in America in the late 60's did not givethese players a chance after what happened, that should speak volumes about that time, not this place.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

GoGoPokes wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:57 am The Black 14 is an important story in the history of Wyoming athletics. I would say that probably for some time this was a significant black eye for the University. But after 50 years and with still some of the same things having to be fought/protested for in this country, I would find it hard to believe that because a decision that came in a very racially strife ridden time that people would harken back to something they didn't even live through as being something concerning about the state or University. Nearly every college in America in the late 60's did not givethese players a chance after what happened, that should speak volumes about that time, not this place.
Those other colleges are not highlighted in ESPN TODAY for what happened 50 years ago. Other than Josh Allen, this may be the only thing that a 17-18 year old kid knows/reads about the University of Wyoming.

Like it or not, this is a black eye that more people know about today than did in the 1990s for instance. Hell, I was a huge Wyoming fan in the 1990s and had no idea what the Black 14 was then.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

What amazes me the most is 50 years have gone by without the University or the football program publicly recognizing those players and admitting our mistakes. 50 years! Personally, I would hope we can find a way soon before they’re all long gone.

Also have to wonder where the football team would have gone considering the trajectory they were on. Whose to say the team wouldn’t have went on to go undefeated and win a national championship!? Crazier things have happened. Cowboy football may look a lot different than it does today.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:18 pm What amazes me the most is 50 years have gone by without the University or the football program publicly recognizing those players and admitting our mistakes. 50 years! Personally, I would hope we can find a way soon before they’re all long gone.
I agree completely. We are supposed to be the EQUALITY STATE. I personally think that some statue recognizing that Wyoming is the equality state and dedicated to the Black 14 would be a nice touch. I would hope that if we were to do something at halftime of a game that the former players would receive a resounding standing ovation but I am not so sure that would happen (as to this day there are some Cowboy fans that support Eaton's decision...and from what I've read, I can only conclude that Eaton was a racist).

2019 football season seems the most appropriate being the 50 year anniversary. I really really hope we can do something great to give these former players the respect they deserve.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:45 pm
LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:18 pm What amazes me the most is 50 years have gone by without the University or the football program publicly recognizing those players and admitting our mistakes. 50 years! Personally, I would hope we can find a way soon before they’re all long gone.
I agree completely. We are supposed to be the EQUALITY STATE. I personally think that some statue recognizing that Wyoming is the equality state and dedicated to the Black 14 would be a nice touch. I would hope that if we were to do something at halftime of a game that the former players would receive a resounding standing ovation but I am not so sure that would happen (as to this day there are some Cowboy fans that support Eaton's decision...and from what I've read, I can only conclude that Eaton was a racist).

2019 football season seems the most appropriate being the 50 year anniversary. I really really hope we can do something great to give these former players the respect they deserve.
If there was a way to make it up to them, that would be the best thing to do. Or as close to it as possible. Honoring them for standing up in such times is a start, at the very least.
GoGoPokes
Buckaroo

I would see nothing but positive things coming from the University bringing these players back on the 50th anniversary. I say that because I do believe it to be true and want that out there before I get slammed for the next comments I am about to make.

1. The feature quickly moved from a protest against a private religion's policy to "we were fighting for civil rights long before Kaepernick." I am not condoning what was happening in the Mormon church at that time, but to glide this into being a fight for civil rights isn't necessarily comparing apples to apples.

2. I am guessing it must have been 9 years ago at the 40th anniversary of the Black 14 that I got the opportunity to hear Mel Hamilton (one of the players suspended) speak on campus about the events. He spoke about the hatred that burned within him at that time and the time it took him to understand that it was time to learn more about what he thought it was he was fighting and let the pain go after learning about the policy.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

GoGoPokes wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:38 pm I would see nothing but positive things coming from the University bringing these players back on the 50th anniversary. I say that because I do believe it to be true and want that out there before I get slammed for the next comments I am about to make.

1. The feature quickly moved from a protest against a private religion's policy to "we were fighting for civil rights long before Kaepernick." I am not condoning what was happening in the Mormon church at that time, but to glide this into being a fight for civil rights isn't necessarily comparing apples to apples.

2. I am guessing it must have been 9 years ago at the 40th anniversary of the Black 14 that I got the opportunity to hear Mel Hamilton (one of the players suspended) speak on campus about the events. He spoke about the hatred that burned within him at that time and the time it took him to understand that it was time to learn more about what he thought it was he was fighting and let the pain go after learning about the policy.
May have happened on the 40th but there was 3 or 4 guys from the 14 that spoke about 4 years ago as well