Schroyer Shows What Body Part He Is

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

In front of a national TV audience Schroyer, "to make a point", lets his hard working players go down in defeat (not to mention that he was again out coached by blowing a 16 point halftime lead and having no answer at all to the 3-2 zone).

Sure, Jones, made a mistake. So punish the entire team and all the fans. Kick the fire and moral out of the players, Schroyer. That's what you did today. Give away a winable game, demoralize the players so that they just "go thru the motions" the rest of the season. As I see it, this game may be "the end of the season". I always felt that Schroyer was a loser and should never have been hired
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Do elaborate... what did he do?
ImageImageImageImage
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

You seriously have issues of some sort. All you do is complain!
He's mad because Shroyer didn't put Jones in for the rest of the game after Jones got a Technical with 4 minutes left to go in the game.
In my opinion, if I was coach I would have done the same thing. When your kids are doing way too much talking, and enough to get a technical, they need to learn to shut their mouths. It teaches your kids to focus on the game, and your team, instead of yourself.
I bet you don't see Jones mouth off again this year. It's also a lesson to the rest of the team, If you mouth off, it doesn't matter who you are. You're done for the day.
Good coaching. And very good game. We'll get by. The number one team in the conf. just been us in Double OT.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

Everybody deserves a second chance. As coach you bench Jones for a while. Then you let him know that any similar activity next time is a game suspension. At least that way you can have a substitute to work with the other starting four for the next game if he fails to get the message. You let the other players know what you told Jones. You let Jones back in to make up for his emotions.

What you don't do is punish the team as a whole. You be the boss but not the dictator. You have compassion for the players and a sense of obligation to the fans.

As an aside, this forum is in part to express opinions. Having an opinion that is different from yours does not constitute being a person "with a problem".
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

I agree. It's a forum based on opinion, but all I ever see you write is nothing but negativity about our own team. What kind of fan does that?
Aside from that, When you are coach, you are a dictator. You run the team. When a player gets outta line, you put them back in line, even if they don't like it. It has nothing to do with their emotions. Your not their Buddy, you're their coach. Look at Bill Self at Kansas and Williams at UNC, you don't see them being buddy buddy with their players. You see them celebrate with their players, but that's it. I've even seen Slef take out a couple of KU's main players during a close game when they got mouthy with the officials. They didn't even get Technicals and he took them out.The ended up losing a 15 point lead, and winning by about three. That was last year. Not one person, not even the commentators on tv dissagreed with Self's decision. But, because it's just Shroyer, He's the worst thing in UW history, we'll go ahead and do it. Especially those commentators. Probably the ones that got you worked up about it in the first place, by continuing to talk about it from 4 minutes to go, on.
And I'm willing to bet, that Shroyer told the guys at the beginning of the game, that if they got a tech. They were out. Mostly having to do with last years New Mexico game.
Second chanes? Are you saying that during last years brawl in New Mexico , that they should've put Jones, Ewing and Taylor back in, to give them a second chance. These kids avg. 30 games a year. I think one or more games can be expendable.
And leaving Jones on the bench did not kill the team. It gives some of our underclassmen more playing time in a difficult situation. I think thats what we need in the future, don't you think?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

Please read fan comments at bottom of Cheyenne newspaper article

http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/200 ... -06-08.txt

I am not alone
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Alright. Let's be honest here. If you were a coach, and just before a game one of your starters misses a practice. Do you really think you should start him? I've played on many basketball teams, and if you missed practice up to two days prior to a game, you did not start. Plain and simple. I remeber Majerus doing that at Utah, Tarkanian did it. I already told you about Bill Self. Lute Olson. Don Haskins even did it at Utep. Do any of these names sound familiar. Here's our schools coach who was known for doing it. Jim Brandenburg. All these coaches had great careers.
This proves that fans only see whats best to win. Coaches see whats best for the unity of the team, and their teams concept.
What did you truely expect from this season? A new coach, No BIGS. An actual Offense. And only two star guards.
Under McClain we had technicals up the butt! We had brawls! We were known as a no good nobody team.
Shroyer is bringing the respect back to this program. Something we lost under McClain.
But no... All any body can see is the worst things possible. And Boo him for it.
Shame on you Wyo Fans!
Not many coaches could do better. And I garuntee none of you could. So who are you to judge?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

Apparently Schroyer's talk of "dignity" doesn't ring true for some fans who point out his language problem (especially in ear-shot of children). Read the reader comments at the end of the Casper newspaper article.
http://www.trib.com/articles/2008/01/08 ... 01cffc.txt
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

FIrst of, I don't think anyone expected amazing things from this season. We are weak in the post, and are not tremendously deep any where else. But we are more talented down low this season than last, and 13 games in the outcome is below even that of last year. I am not by any means quiting on Shroyer. I was one of the people who argued Mcclain deserved another year, even though I disagreed with his strategies. I wanted another year for him because he not been given a chance to ride the new team he was building to completion. Shroyer only has 13 games under his belt, and I don't think anyone is trying to make any bold statements where he is concerned. But along that same line, it certainly comes across as ridiculous to make positive bold statements where he is concerned. He did not inherit a bad team. He inherited an undiciplined squad with little concept of team basketball and scraps for post players. In all three categories, there are examples of where he is improving the team. Both Travis Nelson and Joseph Taylor have improved since he arrived. We are passing the ball somewhat better, and occasionally play decent team ball. And I guess you can consider Saturday as a sign he is making waves in disipline. But on the whole we are not any better, probably worse at this point compared to last year. We are weaker at rebounding currently then we were with Mcclain. Platt has regressed. Jones has regressed. Ewing has not taken the step everyone expected. And in my opinion, the biggest weakness I see that really scares me is, Shroyer's in game and half time adjustments. I'm sure this will draw tons of fire, but I honestly believe Mcclain would have won Saturdays basketball game. No, I dont think he should be our coach, and Im glad we've moved on, but when a team shoots like we did in the first half, and is in that kind of rhythm, and looses! I dont know. Time will tell.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

Right on about Schroyer not being a game-day coach like McClain was. Just look at how he had no idea how to attack the 3-2 zone NM came back at half with. McClain would have sent the B's driving and have won the game on foul shots. And he would have parked on the hot 3-point shooter.

The pass-the-ball-around-a-lot hasn't seemed to work too well (yet anyway). Just look at the turn-over record. But now that he taught the team a lesson with Jones, they will be more polite, think nice thoughts, say nice things, and have all the other teams love them.
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

I love how all these fans will complain about Shroyer using the F- Bomb. Yet, Joe Glenn is praised by fans for flipping the bird at Utah's bench this year! Am I missing something? And a few of the quotes which you must of neglected to read also stated that most of our latest coaches including McClain did a lot of the F- Bomb also. I've seen it first hand with him, even Joby. Yet, for some reason we have to go after the new guy. I don't get you people.
I love how everyone says, "Oh! My kids are hearing this at a family event! It's not good for them to here this." Yet, I bet our kids are probably not picking that up at all. What they do tend to pick up, is watching and listening to their favorite players! (See where I'm going with this?) They see Jones taunting his opponents bench and then we go to their little league games and Jr. High games and see them taunting their opponents bench. And we wonder, where did they learn such sad sportsmanship?
Sounds like another excuse. Granted yeah, I don't agree with the cussing, but I do agree with those kids seeing that if you show poor sportsmanship, you get disciplined.
Got anymore?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Kansan Cowboy! wrote:I love how all these fans will complain about Shroyer using the F- Bomb. Yet, Joe Glenn is praised by fans for flipping the bird at Utah's bench this year! Am I missing something?
I have that picture as my background wallpaper at work. I get lots of positive feedback... then again, that's not helping you state your case here. :thumb:
Kansan Cowboy! wrote:I love how everyone says, "Oh! My kids are hearing this at a family event! It's not good for them to here this." Yet, I bet our kids are probably not picking that up at all.
At the last Griz game this year a guy behind me told me to watch my mouth after I dropped a "that's a poop call" on the fans around me. Weird, I dropped a few f-bombs before that, that were perfectly audible (damn the tequila/beer/vokda tailgate!) and didn't hear a peep.. and he warned me LATE in the 4th quarter. I about turned around and smacked him. 1. Don't tap me on the shoulder during a game.. especially when we're driving with under a minute left and down by one. 2. Don't give me this crap about harming your kid's ears.. they go to public school, deal with it.
ImageImageImageImage
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Exactly! Besides these games are college sports events. Families make them family events.
I went to the Wyo- New Mexico Football game this year and had a guy yell behind me to sit down. The stadium was half empty! I mean come on. I paid twenty some bucks for a ticket. Drove from 11:00 pm. the night before to get to the game just before kick off for some guy to yell at me to sit down! What is this?
But tell me seriously. What Wyoming fan is offended by the F-Bomb when the whole crowd Chants
F-BOMB YOU... BYU!!!

And when we hear the coach say it we're offended? " OH! It's too much for little Johnny's ears!"

Then a ref makes a bad call: "BULLSH#@!" Repeated.

WAIT! WAIT! "The BEER SONG!"
Going to a Wyoming sporting event is family time, and when we hear all these things it's okay. But when we hear the coach, Oh! It's aweful!
Irony!
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

Just like to chime in on the f-bomb talk since I only responded to Schroyer. I think its an absolute joke when people complain about swearing and passion at sporting events, especially football games! I agree it just makes you sound like a drunken sailor, and an idiot all the same, but these events are not afternoon disney screenings at the fox theater. And the people who sit in the student section at games, and then complain about cussing and standing need to find a different place to sit! I personally don't have a big problem with Schroyer swearing. As i understand it, the NCAA is placing an emphasis on that this year, and he will probably be punished accordingly if it gets out of control. I do on the other hand, have a problem with him losing 16 point half time leads at home.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Kansan Cowboy! wrote:Exactly! Besides these games are college sports events. Families make them family events.
I went to the Wyo- New Mexico Football game this year and had a guy yell behind me to sit down. The stadium was half empty! I mean come on. I paid twenty some bucks for a ticket. Drove from 11:00 pm. the night before to get to the game just before kick off for some guy to yell at me to sit down! What is this?
But tell me seriously. What Wyoming fan is offended by the F-Bomb when the whole crowd Chants
F-BOMB YOU... BYU!!!

And when we hear the coach say it we're offended? " OH! It's too much for little Johnny's ears!"

Then a ref makes a bad call: "BULLSH#@!" Repeated.

WAIT! WAIT! "The BEER SONG!"
Going to a Wyoming sporting event is family time, and when we hear all these things it's okay. But when we hear the coach, Oh! It's aweful!
Irony!
People in our North Endzone (where all the crazies are) get real pissy when some casual fan tells them to sit down. It's a pretty big deal if someone tells you to sit. That's almost grounds for getting thrown out of the stadium.
ImageImageImageImage
cbeditor
Buckaroo

Going back to the Schroyer coaching thing, if I could...

What scares me the most about the way things are turning out is that over half the teams in the MWC have new head coaches this year but only Tim Miles at CSU is doing worse than Schroyer. Alford, UNM's head coach is new, and he's already three games ahead of the Lobos' pace from last year--including a win on the road in conference play.

So what's the difference with Wyoming? Why don't we expect the same thing from our new head coach? We are now four games back (I think) of our pace from last year. I hear all this talk about us not having any bigs, and that's why we can't expect to do that well. My problem with that argument is that we really didn't have much down low last season and still managed to do better than we are this year--and we did it under the guidance of a head coach who apparently wasn't doing a good enough job. And please don't anyone tell me that Brown and Anderson were better bigs than we have right now. Brown was hurt most of the year, and Anderson wasn't eligible to play, so I think we're better off with Nelson, Linskens and Benny this season.

I'm not calling for Schroyer's head or anything like that. I think he deserves a chance to show us what he can do during conference play and probably what he can do next year with a few of the kids he's recruited. But at the same time, when you have a 16-point halftime lead, it's difficult to lose. You almost have to do everything wrong to pull it off, and we did on Saturday. That scares me. I saw real improvement from this team in the first 20 minutes and real big problems during the final 20.

What makes the loss even more depressing is the fact that the first 20 minutes of Saturday's game prove that this team has the talent to play with and beat anybody in this league. So I don't buy the idea that our lack of talent in the post or the difficulties of transitioning to a new system means we can't expect much this year.
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

Very good point. UNM, AFA, and Utah all have new coaches and are doing FAR better then us. New Mexico did not return any larger a number of letterman than we did, and they may be the best team in the conference now. Utah was also in the same boat. And AFA lossed EVERYONE and still looks to be in better shape than us. Its time to stop tossing up so many excuses at this university. Its just Schroyer's first season, but what has been shown to this point that would lead anyone to predict success in the future. For everything Schroyer has fixed to this point, he has dismantled something else in its place. There is no reason for this team to be 6-7. Absolutely no reason. The bar here always has been, and always will be, way too low.
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Okay look at this. Utah has a good returning group this year, but only this year. most of their best players are seniors. So Utah will probably drop off again after Nevil leaves.
Air Force didn't have many returning players, true. But, They also had a horribly weak schedule. WYO probably could have gone 9-4 or 10-3 on their non conf schedule. AFA will drop come conf play. It showed in the Utah game. 39 points.
New. Mexico got a quality coach. And they've been riding high on it too. Plus they've got a great line up. Expect UNM to continue. They've always been a great program. I see this team being the start of the new Dave Bliss era, with coach Alford.
CSU not so much of anything. I think they went with a worse coach and they also had no talent returning. Only Creason. Don't expect much from Tim Miles and CSU these next few years. They might hit a few upsets but it won't be consistant.
Wyoming. I've already explained, New Coach. New Offensive scheme. No Bigs. I would've taken Brown over Nelson. Even hurt. Nelso is young, but he needs to use his body and tear it up down low. Linskens has the abilty to become an Amadi down low with his body type. And he also has the ability to shoot long range. We have a great small Forward in Dermody. But, again. No one really stands out but our two guards. And when you have a new Offensive scheme you do not let them just run and take control. You teach them: TEAM. That's what Shroyer is doing at Wyoming. Give it time. And I see a Very young team winning games in the future. Remember Shroyer took a terrible Portland St. team and started making changes his first year. It took him two years and then he brought Portland St. to their best record ever. 19-9. Wyoming's talent isn't that low. But our opponents are that much better. Wyoming has the ability to turn this season around. But I see an even .500. But again. Shroyer has taken over an extremely young team. See the changes take affect soon. Reason why. Ewing returns next year. We lose Jones, but have a quality guard to take his place in Wichita St. transfer Orgerri Or however you spell it. He was a very good guard at WSU, and he has been able to practice with Wyoming this year, which means he will have the Offensive mind to take control as Jones did. Plus Every single big is returning.Expect big things from this Wyoming group.
cbeditor
Buckaroo

I agree that we will be better next year. I think Ogirri is actually a step up at the 2 guard because of his shooting ability. I like Dermody. I like Muojeke--even though we only got to see him in about 3 minutes of exhibition time--and I like Waddell. Then throw in this Djibril kid that transferred from Baylor, and like I said, things will get better.

Still, things would get better next year no matter who was at the coaching helm with such an increase in the talent level of the team. Granted, Schroyer brought in Muojeke, Ogirri and Djibril, and I give him credit for that. But I do not think that we are so much less talented this year than the rest of the league that we should view a .500 season as being a success. I think this team has the talent to win right now--maybe not every night but more nights than they currently are. I don't think Nelson is bad in the post. He and Taylor are miles ahead of where they were a season ago. Besides, it wasn't our post play that killed us against New Mexico. In some respects it was guard play, especially defensively, and that's supposed to be our strength.

I will say this, though: I'm not giving up on Schroyer. I agree that if you do the right things consistently you may not have success right away but you will down the road. So the question is whether or not he is doing the right things, and only time will tell in that regard. But if we finish with 5+ more losses than wins this season, in my mind that is a disappointment, new coach or not. And if makes me afraid that while we will be better next season, we still won't be as good as we could be because we're not as good as we could be now.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

This is just my opinion, but I think Schroyer had a bigger change to put in here at Wyoming than the other new coaches did. Still my opinion, but McClain coached a street ball style offense and let his two guards run it and he was once quoted as saying he would not be known for his defense. There was very little discipline and almost no academic controls of his teams. I truly believe Schroyer inherited a mess. The jury is still out on whether Schroyer will be good as a D1 coach, but I'm going to have some patience here. I am seeing improvement and some positive steps he has taken.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.