I called our best rushing performance of the year last week vs. CSU and I think we can better it against AFA...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

AFA has been horrible vs. the run. Overstreet emerged last week as a legit between the tackles threat. Traditionally AFA linemen are a little bit undersized.

I think we'll run the ball as well as we've ran it all year vs. AFA, although it wouldn't surprise anyone if we didn't.

What do you think Wyoming fans? Will we have success on the ground tonight vs. AFA?
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

I think we'll get ~4 ypc, which will be excellent for us, which is sad. If we couldn't run it well vs. Gardner Webber I don't see why we'll do much better vs AF. If Overstreet is the feature back we'll do much better. Woods has been atrocious since that one big game he had

Where I think we'll really gash them is through the air.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

AFA linemen are listed at 280, 260, and 260. Those listed numbers are almost always lies. I think they're smaller than that. At least, they look smaller than that when I've watched them.

Again, I don't know if we'll break 200 against them, but I think we can line up and bang it between the tackles against AFA.

Hopefully we can do enough to take some pressure off Josh, keep the defense off the field, and balance the offense a little bit.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 17 times

Junky, I hope you are correct. Getting the running game going is important if we want to take the next step. Hopefully this game is the confidence builder Overstreet needs!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I always remember the falcons as an agressive gap fill defense. They bring guys up from the second and third level to fill the hole. They have always been suspect to attacks that go into the middle of the field over the line of scrimmage. Also power attacks that provide an overload of blockers to the whole usually generate big yards. One safety is always deep for the falcons. And they are usually good. But they take chances and can stop a drive with constant pressure.

They have trouble with power play action teams.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm slightly worried about this game. Our defense could have a long day if they hurt the wrong guys with their stupid blocks. If we can sustain drives offensively, that becomes less of a worry, and obviously our chances to come away with a win massively improve as well.

Is Woods still listed as number one on the depth chart like he was the other day, or has it been switched to Overstreet?
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:46 pm I'm slightly worried about this game. Our defense could have a long day if they hurt the wrong guys with their stupid blocks. If we can sustain drives offensively, that becomes less of a worry, and obviously our chances to come away with a win massively improve as well.

Is Woods still listed as number one on the depth chart like he was the other day, or has it been switched to Overstreet?
Agreed. The thing that makes me somewhat nervous is our thin rotation at d tackle. We have to stop the full back against AFA. I've seen nothing this year that makes me think we won't except for the ever thinning rotation. We can't afford another injury there. Knock on wood(I'm calling the Leprechauns for defensive tackle health).

Air Force's defense seems like an opportunity for more improvement to our running game though. We took a step last week. Hopefully, we'll see more progress.

Colorado Springs is not an easy place to get a victory, especially on Vets day, but lately it hasn't mattered to either team about home field advantage.

We'll see. There's a win waiting for us. Hopefully we'll go get it.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:17 pm AFA has been horrible vs. the run.
And the Pokes have been horrible at the run. So after nine games is anything going to be suddenly different? Not likely. Especially with Vigen. A clever passing scheme will possibly make an offensive difference though.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:09 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:17 pm AFA has been horrible vs. the run.
And the Pokes have been horrible at the run. So after nine games is anything going to be suddenly different? Not likely. Especially with Vigen. A clever passing scheme will possibly make an offensive difference though.
I agree. We aren't a good running team. Last week I though we would have our best rushing effort of the season because CSU was horrible against the run and their d ends get blown off the ball. I thought we could run on CSU...

You told me this,

"I may have to disagree that the Poke O-line will have an advantage. The AFA linemen are quick. They are also "tuned", as it were, to the running game since that is about all AFA does. So the run is their full time job and they do it well. Also note that AFA running game is more than "right up the middle"."

We ended up with almost 5 yards a carry and 156 rushing yards. Yeah, it wasn't 200 yards, but it was still the best rushing performance of the season and a big reason we won the game. I wasn't exactly throwing a handful of poop at the wall to see if it sticks. I thought we could run when we hadn't all year.

I think we can and will run it against AFA, maybe even surpassing last weeks performance. Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling for 300 yards on the ground, I just think we'll run enough to have a balanced offense and keep our defense off the field. We should run enough to win the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do eclipse our rushing performance from last week though. AFA front seven doesn't impress me all that much.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

The thing that concerns me the most in tonight's game is the AFA triple option. I have seen good teams have trouble with those triple option offenses when they only face a team once per year that runs that scheme.

If a triple option team gets their offense going early in the game it can keep their opponents defense on the field for a long time. And that always spells trouble. But hopefully, the Pokes can put a hurting on that triple option tonight and come back to Laramie with a "W".