Thoughts at this point in the season

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm
JimmyDimes wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:21 pm
HomeOnTheRange wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:40 am we are going to be really bad the next few years. Defensively we should be okay with some good talent on that side of the ball. But you can't win many games scoring 10-14 PPG

there is NOTHING on the offensive side of the ball that will allow this program to compete with Boise, CSU, SDSU going forward

without Josh, this offense is probably a bottom five unit in the nation. We have not recruited receivers or running backs well at all
We have the youngest two deep and starting line-up in the league. Yet, we're 2-1 (1-1 in the road) in the MWC and have the easier part of our schedule in front of us. That includes CSU.....who you seem higher on than I am.

Go Pokes!
I am not sold on CSU either. Hell I am not really sold on BSU. The beat us so Im not gonna throw a ton of shade but they didn't look that great. Had that game been in Laramie the outcome could easily have swung our way. While painful at times to watch, this team is scrapping and competing and winning games. A win this saturday would go a long way in soothing the aggravation of Boise State and getting us back on track. There is absolutely a chance we win out.
I agree, we were winning the BSU game in the 4th quarter, in their house. In Laramie, maybe a different outcome. I could also see us winning out, but that'd take some luck and no injuries.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:51 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:52 am At this point, though... where can we fill in with JUCO players who will upgrade? Lots of kids are getting their first year of experience right now, and the probably are getting better week by week.
We rank 128th in offense. Only 2 teams are worse. In arguably the worst year in WYO history, we averaged nearly 100 more yards/game than this year. We have MAJOR issues on offense that won't be cured in off-season workouts. Our QB situation will be more inexperienced than this year.

If we don't add some immediate help, I think the offense will struggle again. Maybe even worse. Throwing true Freshman in the current offense will be a disaster.

We have 2 options: keep plugging Freshman and Sophomores in and hoping it works out. Remember 4 years ago when everyone chastised those of us who dared utter the word JUCO? We were the youngest team and you don't do JUCO because of foundations, short-term fixes, and all that crap? 4 years ago was going to pay dividends this year.

Not advocating trying to put square peg in round hole. Just that I think we need to use a little more of our recruiting budget on the JUCO ranks in the next few years.

True - but this staff has also recruited Brian Hill, Josh Allen, and quite a few other good offensive players. We have quite a few badass defensive recruits maturing right now.

Brian and Josh are special - that is for sure. We have to develop the rest of the talent. Our offense sucked the first few years - it sucked a bit last year - but we still won the division - it sucks bad this year.

Its too bad we lost hill last year. It could have made this year that much more special.
So far those are about the only two guys they have recruited that have done anything on offense. The offense this year is the worst offense we have had under this coaching staff. Cam Coffmans and Kirkegaards offenses were better. Let that sink in.

We need a whole new offense and all new players in my opinion. As far as Allen goes at QB he gives great effort and plays hard and leaves his heart on the field but he really hasn't been that good. He has great physical tools but that is about it. I'll say he is better than everyone else on our offense but that isn't saying much.
He has only completed 55% of his passes which is horrible and some of that was due to dropped passes but even if some of those were caught he would be under 60% still. Everyone says he can't do it on his own which I agree with but even last year he only completed 56% of his passes with 4 other guys on offense that went to the NFL which quite frankly sucks. If he doesn't up his completetion percentage he won't even get on an nfl field for more than a few games.

I would rather have a QB that can complete 63% of his passes or better . With that said he is still better than the rest of the offense which is completely terrible. O-line is bad. RB's are bad. Receivers are bad.

All of the recruits now are Bohl and Vigen's and it seems there is a huge drop off now that all of Christiansens guys are gone. Either they can't recruit offensive talent or they have no clue what they are doing coaching wise offensively at this level. I'm not going to just blame it on Vigen like a lot of people because I believe it is just as much Bohl's fault since he likes the whole time of possession and pound the football up the middle game and he can override any playcall.

He gave Vigen a raise after last year so anyone that thinks he will be firing Vigen is crazy.

Just have to hope these recruits end up turning out better next year and develop or this will be Joe Glenn 2.0. The fact the offense is worse in year 4 than any other year doesn't give a lot of confidence.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:21 am
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:52 am At this point, though... where can we fill in with JUCO players who will upgrade? Lots of kids are getting their first year of experience right now, and the probably are getting better week by week.
We rank 128th in offense. Only 2 teams are worse. In arguably the worst year in WYO history, we averaged nearly 100 more yards/game than this year. We have MAJOR issues on offense that won't be cured in off-season workouts. Our QB situation will be more inexperienced than this year.

If we don't add some immediate help, I think the offense will struggle again. Maybe even worse. Throwing true Freshman in the current offense will be a disaster.

We have 2 options: keep plugging Freshman and Sophomores in and hoping it works out. Remember 4 years ago when everyone chastised those of us who dared utter the word JUCO? We were the youngest team and you don't do JUCO because of foundations, short-term fixes, and all that crap? 4 years ago was going to pay dividends this year.

Not advocating trying to put square peg in round hole. Just that I think we need to use a little more of our recruiting budget on the JUCO ranks in the next few years.

True - but this staff has also recruited Brian Hill, Josh Allen, and quite a few other good offensive players. We have quite a few badass defensive recruits maturing right now.

Brian and Josh are special - that is for sure. We have to develop the rest of the talent. Our offense sucked the first few years - it sucked a bit last year - but we still won the division - it sucks bad this year.

Its too bad we lost hill last year. It could have made this year that much more special.
So far those are about the only two guys they have recruited that have done anything on offense. The offense this year is the worst offense we have had under this coaching staff. Cam Coffmans and Kirkegaards offenses were better. Let that sink in.

We need a whole new offense and all new players in my opinion. As far as Allen goes at QB he gives great effort and plays hard and leaves his heart on the field but he really hasn't been that good. He has great physical tools but that is about it. I'll say he is better than everyone else on our offense but that isn't saying much.
He has only completed 55% of his passes which is horrible and some of that was due to dropped passes but even if some of those were caught he would be under 60% still. Everyone says he can't do it on his own which I agree with but even last year he only completed 56% of his passes with 4 other guys on offense that went to the NFL which quite frankly sucks. If he doesn't up his completetion percentage he won't even get on an nfl field for more than a few games.

I would rather have a QB that can complete 63% of his passes or better . With that said he is still better than the rest of the offense which is completely terrible. O-line is bad. RB's are bad. Receivers are bad.

All of the recruits now are Bohl and Vigen's and it seems there is a huge drop off now that all of Christiansens guys are gone. Either they can't recruit offensive talent or they have no clue what they are doing coaching wise offensively at this level. I'm not going to just blame it on Vigen like a lot of people because I believe it is just as much Bohl's fault since he likes the whole time of possession and pound the football up the middle game and he can override any playcall.

He gave Vigen a raise after last year so anyone that thinks he will be firing Vigen is crazy.

Just have to hope these recruits end up turning out better next year and develop or this will be Joe Glenn 2.0. The fact the offense is worse in year 4 than any other year doesn't give a lot of confidence.
I don't think the players are bad because a lot of them had decent recruiting rankings and/or other good D-1 offers. The offensive players now have better recruiting credentials than Christiansen players for the most part.

I'm convinced that we've got good plyers, but bad offensive philosophy and pitiful playcalling and stale plays are the main reasons we suck this year.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:36 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:21 am

I don't think the players are bad because a lot of them had decent recruiting rankings and/or other good D-1 offers. The offensive players now have better recruiting credentials than Christiansen players for the most part.

I'm convinced that we've got good plyers, but bad offensive philosophy and pitiful playcalling and stale plays are the main reasons we suck this year.
I hope you are right as far as the players go. Would love to see the offense make a big jump next year since I think the defense next year will be loaded.

I'm just not very confident right now with anything that has to do with the offense.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

People have incredibly short memory. What I will say is that this wasn’t the offensive unit we were hoping for coming into the season. But I also believe that developing young raw talent takes time.

Our running game is designed to set up our passing game. If we can run then we can pass. The problem that i see is that our young and inexperienced offensive line mixed with our young and inexperienced skill positions make for the recipe of a poor offense.

Does that mean they can’t develop and become good or great? No it means they need time to develop and that means we need patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Wasn't playing all those freshman 4 years ago supposed to avoid this?
Look, I'm also in the camp of another year or two before seeing what the rebuild looks like.

Still, 4 years in and almost the worst offense in all of college football after 4 years of playing lots of young guys is a valid reason for concern.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:39 am People have incredibly short memory. What I will say is that this wasn’t the offensive unit we were hoping for coming into the season. But I also believe that developing young raw talent takes time.

Our running game is designed to set up our passing game. If we can run then we can pass. The problem that i see is that our young and inexperienced offensive line mixed with our young and inexperienced skill positions make for the recipe of a poor .

Does that mean they can’t develop and become good or great? No it means they need time to develop and that means we need patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fact that a defensive player was converted to running back tells you how much confidence the coaches have in all this "raw young talent". Frankly, the receivers are even worse than the running backs.

All this patience stuff is nice but Craig Bohl is 59. We want to give him 3 or 4 more years to make this thing work? Ok. But there aren't that many coaches in their sixties who are in their prime.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Is Theo Dawson back next season? Could he be our answer at RB? The O-Line has to be better next year right?