Observation and thoughts

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
American Horse
Ranch Hand

I was unable to watch any football yesterday but congrats. Cowboys! When I was able to check scores I saw where Iowa State hung 41 on Iowa. This is against the same Iowa defense that we couldn't get into the end zone against a single time. Many on here said this defense was the best we will see all year, very tough defense etc. Iowa St is not exactly an offensive juggernaut so I was just interested in some thoughts about what is going on. Was it simply the matchup? Is WY really that scoring challenged? Did we overestimate Iowas defense? Thoughts and comments please.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

American Horse wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:24 am I was unable to watch any football yesterday but congrats. Cowboys! When I was able to check scores I saw where Iowa State hung 41 on Iowa. This is against the same Iowa defense that we couldn't get into the end zone against a single time. Many on here said this defense was the best we will see all year, very tough defense etc. Iowa St is not exactly an offensive juggernaut so I was just interested in some thoughts about what is going on. Was it simply the matchup? Is WY really that scoring challenged? Did we overestimate Iowas defense? Thoughts and comments please.
IA State had a NFL prototype receiver that torched the Hawks a few times. Cowboys can't pound the rock. I think we need to work the edges more in general but that will not work against Oregon - they're big and fast a poop (from what I saw against NE yesterday). Gonna probably need to live and die by the pass this season which means the receivers cannot drop so many balls. We really could've used Hill, Hollister, Gentry for another year. Oh well - that's college football (in the havenot conferences)...
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I do think the defense was that good against a very inexperienced Wyoming team.

I think last years team plays toe to toe with Iowa and comes away with a win.

But that team had the all time leading rusher in Wyoming history had a starting NFL center and an NFL caliber wide receiver and tight end.

We replace the center (I think the biggest loss) with a true freshman from Torrington Wyoming who will be great I believe, but needs more years in the weight room before he is able to adequately replace his predecessor. We then had another true freshman on the offensive line that game.

We then had to replace NFL draft pick Brian hill and replaced him with inexperience galore.

Wide receivers who had limited tolls were expected to not miss a beat.

In total Wyoming is and was in a state of growing pains against a good defensive front that likely still will be the best Wyoming faces. Name one defensive front in the mountain west that will compare and boise might be the only one.

We have a lot of growth still to be done but I see growth from game one to two but we need a running back to step up and improve or we are in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

We couldn't open up running gaps against GW...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:57 am We couldn't open up running gaps against GW...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm not sure that's the entire truth - there were a few times where the fullback and a guard opened a hole plenty large enough, but the back waited far too long with hitting it, and then got hit by safety or linebacker after a gain of only one or two... or they just didn't hit the gap at all.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Also wanted to say that while he's got plenty to learn still, there were a few plays that made me hopeful about Overstreet, including the reception of the shovel pass that could've been catastrophic, but that he turned into a solid gain.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think CJ Johnson caught the shovel pass. Is Nico Evans not going to get a shot to run? Maybe Trey Woods will get some more runs. He has good size. Maybe throw Nick Smith in a couple times a game to run a qb power, he was pretty successful runner his freshman year and every team new it was a designed run. There are ways to manufacture some rush.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I'm hearing big things about woods who had two carries for 15 yards. He was on the linebacker depth chart but they decided they need him in the running back crew and he's just learning the position but already drawing comparisons to Brian hill physically. He may be the answer as he learns the position

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I really think Woods could be the guy. A little surprised they didn't use him in the second half, but maybe they didn't want to show too much on tape.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:24 pm I really think Woods could be the guy. A little surprised they didn't use him in the second half, but maybe they didn't want to show too much on tape.
hence the "secret" we're all waiting for this upcoming weekend, we can hope. 1 dimensional isn't gonna cut it against the damn Ducks
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

stymeman wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:35 am
joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:24 pm I really think Woods could be the guy. A little surprised they didn't use him in the second half, but maybe they didn't want to show too much on tape.
hence the "secret" we're all waiting for this upcoming weekend, we can hope. 1 dimensional isn't gonna cut it against the damn Ducks
Agreed. We are going to need the running game against Oregon probably more so than against any other team. It is a must to control possession. If we abandon the run and get into a shootout against Oregon, the result won't be pretty.
Dnice47
Buckaroo

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:45 pm Is Nico Evans not going to get a shot to run?
He was clearly the 3rd back last year after Hill and Wick. What happened this year? No carries in a 27-0 blowout is perplexing.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Woods has passed Evans on the depth chart
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think it's weird that Evans hasn't gotten more carries too
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

From listening to Bohl's press conference it sounds as though Woods is going to be getting more share of the load at running back and will probably end up being the main back after a few games once he has the offense down.

Wouldn't suprise me to see quite a bit of him this weekend.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Isn't it just a little bit concerning that for the kind of team Bohl wants to be, and having 14 odd scholarship backs on the team, none of whom are seniors, were sitting here hoping a converted linebacker is going to turn the tide 2 games into the season behind a offensive line starting 2 freshman in year 4?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 pm Isn't it just a little bit concerning that for the kind of team Bohl wants to be, and having 14 odd scholarship backs on the team, none of whom are seniors, were sitting here hoping a converted linebacker is going to turn the tide 2 games into the season behind a offensive line starting 2 freshman in year 4?
Woods was a guy who actually played more offense than defense in high school (his words, not mine). Not like he's never played the position before....
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 pm Isn't it just a little bit concerning that for the kind of team Bohl wants to be, and having 14 odd scholarship backs on the team, none of whom are seniors, were sitting here hoping a converted linebacker is going to turn the tide 2 games into the season behind a offensive line starting 2 freshman in year 4?
I think it speaks to recruiting more than anything else. The two freshman beat out guys who have started. Not concerning, but exciting once they get more confortable. Aside from two freshman, Cummings is playing a new position on the oline too.

In regards to Woods, he did play RB in high school. And, sometimes you don't know what you have until you see it in camp. Maybe he's has shown ability the other 5 or so scholarship running backs haven't.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 am
Woods was a guy who actually played more offense than defense in high school (his words, not mine). Not like he's never played the position before....
Ah he played RB in high school, makes me feel so much better! I'm sure our other guys didn't do that. We're now betting the farm on a guy that had 2 carries for 15 yards against Gardner Webb.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I'm sure that overstreet will be fine. He is coming off an ACL injury. I think the run game will start picking up here soon

W-Y, Until I Die!