Fire Vigen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

DVDA wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm
CM99 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm
DVDA wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:22 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:37 am
HomeOnTheRange wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:19 am he has an OL that is not capable of protecting his QB...especially against a good defense like Iowa's.
Am I the only one who thought the OL actually did a decent job? You're not going to prevent every single sack there is - there's going to be great plays by the defense and the occasional mistake. I saw Allen drop back quite a few times, have a few seconds, but then nobody became open anywhere.

On top of that, I think they actually did okay (not great) blocking for running as well... our backs just dawdled around in the backfield for far too long rather than decisively hitting the holes that were actually there. On the third/fourth and short situations, they were up against 8 large defensive players in the box, so it's no wonder they didn't get much push.

I'm not going to blame Vigen for our receivers being unable to get open, but you'd think that maybe there could have been a screen play or five when they stacked the box against the run? Sure, there was one that Allen was somehow intercepted on, but maybe that's just an indication that you haven't even practiced it.
For starting two true freshman, they did really well in pass protection. The run game struggled early but got a few runs going in the second half. Overall the run blocking was below average against a lot of 7 man fronts. Vigen's play calling was predictable all game which didn't help these kids out.
Do you know how you can tell the play calling was "predictable" ? You lose.....Its funny Ga Tech has pretty predictable play calling yet they sure win a lot of games. As far as that goes New Mexico threw 5 times vs you last year. They predictabled your ass to death. The "predictable" complaint is one of the weakest, most unenlightened comments I ever read on these message boards...its code for "we lost but I don't know why"....
You have to love trolls with their high and mighty know it all attitudes. You're clueless bud. Simplifying football to run or pass, as you have done in your post, is laughably stupid. Georgia Tech runs a complex option offense. Simply because they have a run based offense doesn't make it a predictable offense. That might be a difficult concept for you to grasp since you want to simplify things down to your level.

By the way, when you mention "comments I ever read on these message boards," are you saying you're a PBM?
I don't think he is a troll. He actually makes some good points. If you go on any message board it is the same thing over and over again.

Anytime a team loses all of the homers on the board start bitchin and complaining about how the head coach should be fired or the OC or DC needs to be fired. Nobody ever gives credit to the other team.

Fact is it wouldn't matter what plays were called last Saturday. Wyoming's receivers couldn't get open for most of the game.

Iowa has one of the better defenses in the country in my opinion. Have to see how this plays out though.

Not trying to single anyone out at all with this post. Each and every board has a lot of homers on it including this board. Most homers can't watch a game of their own team objectively and can only see through their own teams colored goggles.

If people want to be mad about something I would be more upset about why Wyoming doesn't have more playmakers at receiver or running back in year 4 of the Bohl era than I would about playcalling. Which also falls on all of the coaches.

I would also reserve judgement on that part though as well. Iowa may end up a top 10 defense in the country and shut a lot of people down. Now if on the other hand Iowa starts giving up tons of points to teams and Wyoming's offense looks like poop the rest of the year then we can start questioning a lot of things and I will gladly come back on this board and create a topic for myself to admit everyone was right and eat a bunch of crow.

I think we should let a few more games play out before we all go poop crazy and start demanding firings and see what happens.

I happen to believe Iowa will be one of the better defenses in the country this year. BUT like I said if I am wrong i'll glady eat the crow.

This is my last post on this topic time to move on. I'll let you all have the last words and we will see how all of this plays out.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

If people want to be mad about something I would be more upset about why Wyoming doesn't have more playmakers at receiver or running back in year 4 of the Bohl era than I would about playcalling. Which also falls on all of the coaches.
Kind of my thinking. I hope I'm wrong about our lack of speed at the skill positions. I guess we'll know a lot more after this 4 game home stand.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I'd love to see a hybrid of last years offense and this years defense play a game this season. It could be a fun one. Certainly a top 25 team.

It is only one game in and Hazelton looks like he has taken the defensive talent and made them play well. I'm pretty excited to see a bone-crushing defense play all season.

We lost alot of recievers last year. I wish Hill would have stayed around. He might have loosened that Iowa defense up enough to score a few touchdowns.

We have a pretty decent running back corps though. First week to second week is when you see the most improvement. This is the season to evaluate.

I said earlier I would love to have the Iowa game and Gardner webb game switched. But the reality is Iowa is going to get better from game 1 to game 2 and so are we. It would be a different game and who knows how it would turn.

I like what I saw out of the offensive line this week. I'm a bit disapointed though - i think our running backs should have been able to get 3-4 yards a run. From what I saw, they made some bad decisions. Thats okay though. They will only get better this week.

This game against Garner webb won't be a cake walk. But we should see the defensive and offensive lines dominate. We will see the linebackers tighten up on their positions and perhaps we will see more takeaways. The running backs should see some openings. I think it will be a great game to get Wyoming riled up and ready to play some football.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

This thread is a great reminder to me, as to why I never post here after a game - and usually wait for the week to start.

That said, when the HC states in the media that we had a very vanilla game plan, I understand why - and I get wanting to keep it close and hope a late strike wins the game (see NDSU vs. Kansass St.). But I don't really like it.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Isn't it nice to have such High expectations, lol, but I truly want to see adjustments and things from the game I saw in Iowa to against a FCSteam from sea level at 7220, play Josh at least until the 4th quarter as reps can only make a difference, let's hope Nebraska gives Oregon a good test as well. Next week kinda scares me, we'll see
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

stymeman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:24 am ... but I truly want to see adjustments....
I believe this will be the most vanilla, straightforward, routine, dull offensive game you will have seen for a long time. Vigen wants to save his two imaginative plays for next week's spanking.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:48 pm
stymeman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:24 am ... but I truly want to see adjustments....
I believe this will be the most vanilla, straightforward, routine, dull offensive game you will have seen for a long time. Vigen wants to save his two imaginative plays for next week's spanking.
Yeah, there should be no reason to show Oregon what we've got ahead of game time.

...we've got something, right?
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Well...Iowa State is moving the ball and scoring on Iowa. We couldn't. Don't know what to make of it.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:22 pm Well...Iowa State is moving the ball and scoring on Iowa. We couldn't. Don't know what to make of it.
They're at home. We were on the road. Big difference.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:25 pm
kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:22 pm Well...Iowa State is moving the ball and scoring on Iowa. We couldn't. Don't know what to make of it.
They're at home. We were on the road. Big difference.
Yeah. Is it also a big rivalry game?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 pmYeah. Is it also a big rivalry game?
Correct. I'd say it's as big or bigger than Wyo/CSU.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:36 pm
kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 pmYeah. Is it also a big rivalry game?
Thanks
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Here's what to make of it. Wyoming has Vigen. Iowa State doesn't.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:36 pm
Thanks
All true, but there were plenty of people in this thread assuring us Iowa's front 7 was so good no one could call a offensive game plan against them. This game of iowas against Iowa State makes me more worried about our offense again. I sure hope we can find some rhythm today against Gardner Webb before facing Oregon next week
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

WyomingAg wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 pm All true, but there were plenty of people in this thread assuring us Iowa's front 7 was so good no one could call a offensive game plan against them. This game of iowas against Iowa State makes me more worried about our offense again. I sure hope we can find some rhythm today against Gardner Webb before facing Oregon next week
Agreed. If their front seven was so good, it wouldn't matter that Iowa State is at home. 38 Points vs 3 points. Iowa's defense is extremely overrated. Our offense is likely BAD.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:03 pm
Here's what to make of it. Wyoming has Vigen. Iowa State doesn't.
Pretty much this. If Iowa St. is able to score 38 pts (so far) and we score 3, then that tells you Vigen is utterly incompetent at his job and we should get a new OC
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Iowa gave up more points than I thought they would today for sure but it wasn't because of playcalling.

It was more so because Iowa St. Has a LOT better receivers than Wyoming does. One of their receivers will be playing in the NFL next year. Also their running back was a lot better than anything Wyoming has.

Even with Josh at QB we may have trouble moving the ball because of no playmakers.

Going to wait a few more games before I start "freaking" out over it though and see how it plays out.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Yeah, let's fire the guy that's found and developed Wentz and Allen. We definitely need to fire him since he only averaged 35 points a game in leading us to our first MWC championship game in history and our first chance at a title since 96.

People are dense.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:Yeah, let's fire the guy that's found and developed Wentz and Allen. We definitely need to fire him since he only averaged 35 points a game in leading us to our first MWC championship game in history and our first chance at a title since 96.

People are dense.
So if a team recruits kids that end up in the NFL (which is cool)', but can't put together a game plan to win a game - that's "OK". That might be dense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

"Firing" does seem rather rash.

However, being able to put up only 27 points on a bad FCS team, new receivers and runningback or not, is not a very encouraging sign. Not to mention being able to only get 65 rushing yards. I know losing both Hill and Wick at the same time would be a step back, but we haven't even cracked 100 total yards rushing in either game, and barely crack 100 combined.

I'm not going to claim to know what needs to be changed, but clearly something isn't working right up front.