Random thoughts on the 1st Coastal Carolina game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
.44caliberkiller
Blog Team

1. REBOUNDING, REBOUNDING, REBOUNDING. Basically this is 90% the reason we lost. Anytime the other team attempts 18 (9fg/9ft) more shots than you, you're going to have a hard time winning. For a team that we had a significant height advantage on they were able to bully us inside all night long. Hopefully this game is an eye opener to both Edwards and the players because I think we may need a schematic change as well as work in the weight room. It's unacceptable for Herndon/James/Mcmanamen to play so many minutes and not contribute more in rebounding. Our starting lineup was out boarded by their starting lineup 12-28. For us to have any chance to win going forward we need to do a much better job at matching their toughness inside.

2. Our second biggest problem was our turnovers. Our threshold for turnovers in a game is about 10 and against Coastal Caroline we had 15, many of which game in the first half. The second half was a little better but we could never quite overcome the deficit we had built for ourselves in the first half.

3. Herndon had one of the most dominating 3 minute stretches as a defender that I've seen in quite some time. He blocked a total of 4 shots on back to back possessions by Coastal Carolina. It truly was an impressive feat but unfortunately he either blocked it out of bounds our right back into their hands and they were still able to score on both possessions.

4. Mcmanamen the sharp shooter is back. This is one of the few times all season where Jmac looked like the Jmac from last season. A pure assassin who if given a sliver of opportunity will bury you.

5. James had a miserable game, he was 5/17 from the field with 4 turnovers. He reminded me a lot of Josh Adams from last years MTN West tournament. All night he just seemed to be off balance and have butter fingers and never able to find a rhythm. But I would still rather go down losing with our best player in the game as opposed to watching from the sidelines. Furthermore this game just magnified the need for James to put on a little more weight, several times he looked to be in a good position attacking the rim but he was unable to finish through minor contact.

6. Adams has so much potential but he needs to learn to play under control. He had 4 turnovers in only 14 minutes and was bailed out several times as he wildly drove the lane. If he could some how play under control and understand that he is allowed to penetrate and dish he could be an all MTN West type player.

7. Offensively for the most part I thought we played good enough to win. Anytime you can shoot almost 40% from the arc and hit 13 three's you put yourself in a good position to win. We kept fighting and bringing the game within 6-7, but we just weren't able to overcome our deficiencies in rebounding and turnovers to come all the way back.

8. Dalton played a very good game. He seemed to be the one guy attacking the ball on rebounds and not just waiting to have the rebound fall into his arms like everyone else on the squad. He also had a very good floor game, he was 4/7 from the field with 9reb/4asst/0to. Unfortunately for Dalton and us he was one of the few bright spots in the game.

9. Defensively I thought we played okay. But if you don't rebound the basketball it doesn't matter how good your initial defense is if you keep letting the opposing team get multiple shots every possession. If we can limit Coastal Carolina to one shot per possession I'm confident we can win the CBI. But that is a big if because we seem to be doing worse and worse in the rebounding battle as of late.

10. I still think this team has a bright future and win or lose in the championship of the CBI, I still feel like this has been a positive experience. This team returns all but 1 player and they were able to gain some valuable experience in tournament play as well has have some of their weaknesses magnified. If this team attacks the off-season the right way I strongly believe we can be an upper echelon MTN West team next year.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

.44caliberkiller, I look forward to your astute analysis of these games, and thank you for putting forth the effort. It is greatly appreciated.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Any word on Moemeka? Hope he is ok! I think we need to see what Naughton can do. He is the only guy that plays that can truly body up their guys. I would start him, Herndon, James, McManamen and Liebs. Our bigs don't seem to box out well. Way too many offensive rebounds. I think you will see a much different team on Wed. I'd love to see some full court pressure. Not token pressure, but full court trap. This really seemed to bother CCU. Not after every possession, but just at opportune times. Make the boys from SC feel the altitude a bit
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 253 times

Vt poke wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:13 pm Any word on Moemeka? Hope he is ok! I think we need to see what Naughton can do. He is the only guy that plays that can truly body up their guys. I would start him, Herndon, James, McManamen and Liebs. Our bigs don't seem to box out well. Way too many offensive rebounds. I think you will see a much different team on Wed. I'd love to see some full court pressure. Not token pressure, but full court trap. This really seemed to bother CCU. Not after every possession, but just at opportune times. Make the boys from SC feel the altitude a bit
I hate token pressure. All it does i wear our guys out and create no TOs.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

I sure hope our Pokes are still invested being back at home, come on guys show us you belong and wanna be there tonight, I will be!!!