Just for curiosity where do you guys that live in Laramie/Cheyenne

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

go snow skiing? I would know where to go snow skiing in Jackson Hole but just curious about the Laramie area.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Snowy Range ski area is located about 35 miles west of Laramie. It is a small hill, 2 lifts, not a ton of acreage, but it usually isn't very busy and lift prices are affordable.

For those that want a little more size, Eldora is probably the next closest area, located about 120 miles south of Cheyenne, just west of Denver.

Other resorts within a 3-hour drive of Laramie or Cheyenne:
Steamboat springs (122 miles, just over 2 hours from Laramie)
Arapahoe Basin
Breckenridge
Winter Park
Loveland
Keystone
Copper Mountain
Echo Mountain (reopening)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Snowy has three lifts
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote:Snowy Range ski area is located about 35 miles west of Laramie. It is a small hill, 2 lifts, not a ton of acreage, but it usually isn't very busy and lift prices are affordable.

For those that want a little more size, Eldora is probably the next closest area, located about 120 miles south of Cheyenne, just west of Denver.

Other resorts within a 3-hour drive of Laramie or Cheyenne:
Steamboat springs (122 miles, just over 2 hours from Laramie)
Arapahoe Basin
Breckenridge
Winter Park
Loveland
Keystone
Copper Mountain
Echo Mountain (reopening)
Snowy sounds like it would be just fine for me especially if I wanted to get away on the spare of the moment.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

haven't skied in years, learned at Snowy Range way back when, skied Vail and Beaver Creek once, and once at Jackson(which I always prefer that trip) I'd rather ride a snowmachine!!! again been awhile for that as well.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

stymeman wrote:haven't skied in years, learned at Snowy Range way back when, skied Vail and Beaver Creek once, and once at Jackson(which I always prefer that trip) I'd rather ride a snowmachine!!! again been awhile for that as well.
I learned to ski in Western North Carolina at a resort called Sugar Mountain. It's not much more than a bank, also skied at a resort called Ski Beach in the same area. Friends and I skied at Snow Shoe, WV once and it was okay but nothing like what you guys have out West. Plus, when we skied Snow Shoe it rained the whole time.

We visited Yellowstone in 2013 during early September. After we left Yellowstone we visited the Grand Tetons and then Jackson Hole Ski Resort. There, of course, was no snow on the mountain at that time but we took the tram up to the top of the mountain. Looking down from the top of the mountain was like looking out of an airplane from 30,000 feet. Man, that is a ski resort I would love to ski someday.
wrxman
Buckaroo

I'm in Cheyenne and hit up Snowy Range about once a weekend. It close, cheap and you dont have to fight the I70 traffic.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Coming from the East, you should hit up Snowy Range. The runs are small but it is much more affordably priced. Most Easterners get tired quickly with the elevation gain and so there isn't a big reason to spend much more money to hit up somewhere like Steamboat.

I have a season pass to Steamboat/Copper/Winter Park/Eldora. Steamboat is by far my favorite for the snow and for avoiding the Denver masses.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

wrxman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 pm I'm in Cheyenne and hit up Snowy Range about once a weekend. It close, cheap and you dont have to fight the I70 traffic.

Don't you get Steamboat days with that pass too? Not a bad deal to hit up Snowy most weekends and hit up Steamboat when the snow is good.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

wrxman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 pm I'm in Cheyenne and hit up Snowy Range about once a weekend. It close, cheap and you dont have to fight the I70 traffic.

Like I said earlier Snowy Range sounds just right for me, if I lived in the Laramie area.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 pm Coming from the East, you should hit up Snowy Range. The runs are small but it is much more affordably priced. Most Easterners get tired quickly with the elevation gain and so there isn't a big reason to spend much more money to hit up somewhere like Steamboat.

I have a season pass to Steamboat/Copper/Winter Park/Eldora. Steamboat is by far my favorite for the snow and for avoiding the Denver masses.
Well, I have a mild case of COPD and it sounds like Snowy would be just right for me all the way around.