Group of 5 playoffs

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Houston would have been in no doubt with an undefeated season.
Lol pure comedy that you believe that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not going as far as to say no doubt in fact I don't thnk they probably would have gotten in but if they had been undefeated and Loisville would have beaten Clemson then that game between Houston and Louisville would have been huge. Between 2 to 5 teams. If Houston beat Louisville (ike they did) then they absolutely would have been in the conversation. They would have had 2 top 5-ish wins. That's pretty impressive. I am not saying they would have gotten in but there would have been a lot of debate about them.

I agree with you when you say that there is very little chance of a G5 school ever making the playoff but I want to strive for the slim chance rather than make up a make believe JV national championship to make ourselves feel better. I want to go toe to toe with the big boys and let the cards fall as they may.

If we ever went undefeated and didn't get in the playoff but instead got to play #6 Michigan(for example) in the Cotton bowl and beat them I would prefer that to beating Akron, Navy, and USF to win the G5 Championship.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I hate the idea of a G5 playoff. Just distance the MWC from P5 schools even more. People complain about CU or Utah not being brave enough to play Wyoming now, but if the two split, they would NEVER play us, unless it was at their place as a tune-up game the first game of the year.
This Victor Jones recruit that has offers from Oregon State, Cal, and Utah, would not even consider playing for Wyoming or any other MWC school. G5 would be the new FCS and would be treated as such.

But then again, it's hard not to get excited at the thought of playing TOLEDO or APP STATE in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Much better than playing a Wisconsin or Auburn or Clemson on a New Years Day game.

Seriously what would be better than tailgating in New Orleans on New Years Eve with a bunch of Wyoming fans getting ready to upset Auburn? I know! Playing TOLEDO IN THE MIDDLE OF DECEMBER IN TOLEDO OHIO!
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

BeaverPoke wrote:I hate the idea of a G5 playoff. Just distance the MWC from P5 schools even more. People complain about CU or Utah not being brave enough to play Wyoming now, but if the two split, they would NEVER play us, unless it was at their place as a tune-up game the first game of the year.
This Victor Jones recruit that has offers from Oregon State, Cal, and Utah, would not even consider playing for Wyoming or any other MWC school. G5 would be the new FCS and would be treated as such.

But then again, it's hard not to get excited at the thought of playing TOLEDO or APP STATE in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Much better than playing a Wisconsin or Auburn or Clemson on a New Years Day game.

Seriously what would be better than tailgating in New Orleans on New Years Eve with a bunch of Wyoming fans getting ready to upset Auburn? I know! Playing TOLEDO IN THE MIDDLE OF DECEMBER IN TOLEDO OHIO!
They will always play tune up games against G5 schools the same way G5 plays tune ups against FCS schools.

pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I used that game as an example but regardless I think it would be exciting and the games could be neutral fields and just replace the meaningless bowl games. Could be in Vegas, San Diego, Hawaii, etc.

I love the idea of competing for a national title but in order to do so it would take the perfect storm to do so. First you would have to have a kick ass schedule. Then you would have to run the table of said schedule. Then you would have to rely on the committee giving Wyoming the nod when tv numbers wouldn't pan out. Then after that obstacle is passed you would have to rely on other power 5 conferences having numerous losses. The mountain to climb for non power 5 teams is insurmountable.

An 8 team playoff of G5 schools would have probably looked something like this.

At large (Wyoming)
Sandiego state mwc champ
At large (byu)
Western Michigan mac
At large (navy)
Temple (American)
App state (sun belt)
Western Kentucky (conf usa)

I know there would be debate about the at larges but wouldn't that be fun! I think it beats beating your head against a wall and expecting it to move

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

When you're not quite dead enough
you get encouraged to take
the G5 playoffs vaccine.

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 135 times

Year end award for a great season.
Option 1: 3 or so games against a bunch of teams nobody has heard of (yes I realize it cuts both ways) in front 5000 people in Laramie in Dec while likely costing us money just to put the thing on.

Option 2: Playing Wisconsin in the Fiesta Bowl, maybe OU, or some other T10 power program on New Years and bringing millions in revenue to the AD and big time exposure for the University and football program.

I wonder which option potential recruits would like?

Unless a G5 playoff gets us into the big playoff, it is worse than what we have now.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Year end award for a great season.
Option 1: 3 or so games against a bunch of teams nobody has heard of (yes I realize it cuts both ways) in front 5000 people in Laramie in Dec while likely costing us money just to put the thing on.

Option 2: Playing Wisconsin in the Fiesta Bowl, maybe OU, or some other T10 power program on New Years and bringing millions in revenue to the AD and big time exposure for the University and football program.

Unless a G5 playoff gets us into the big playoff, it is worse than what we have now.
Have to consider the likelihood of both scenarios though.

We might've been in a G5 playoff this year, but weren't even close to the NY6 bid.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Year end award for a great season.

Have to consider the likelihood of both scenarios though.

We might've been in a G5 playoff this year, but weren't even close to the NY6 bid.
Dude...

His point is that NO ONE CARES ABOUT PLAYING A BUNCH OF NO NAMES IN THE MIDDLE OF DECEMBER AS COMPARED TO PLAYING A TOP10 P5 CHAMP.

So no, we won't have to consider both.

Just because we would have been closer to the G5 playoffs doesn't mean we should just opt for that.

"We weren't good enough to finish on the podium, so I think we should opt for the participation trophy".
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

My gosh, we have to beg. Please please NCAA, let us play too. I'm not for begging for anything, especially a P5 playoff spot. Screw the P5 and let's do a G5 playoff.

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 135 times

In non-ny6 years, 1 bowl game against another g5 team is enough. I don't need to see 2 more.

He'll, I wouldn't want to risk the injuries for additional largely irrelevant games in a jv tourney.

Give up ny6 access for a g5 playoff!!?? :eek:

Frankly, I'm shocked people feel that way. I guess agree to disagree.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
billings
Ranch Hand

just say no to a g5 playoff. rather have the shot at the ny6 bowl. far more fan interest. besides the minute this happens wac football is born again and univ northern colorado, idaho state etc become fbs. yes that will happen

WyoExpat
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote:We shouldn't voluntarily segment ourselves farther from rest of D1 football.

Might as well move to the FCS.
I think this is the entire essence of this issue.

I have said all along that even the 4-team playoff is the beginning of the end for tradition-based, student/alumni/fan-oriented college football. Even now we see more kids simply not playing in "meaningless" bowl games that used to be the preeminent bowl games. It is also telling when coaches get fired after taking their teams to bowl games.

The real answer is for the NCAA to set more rigorous standards for qualifying for bowl games. I would disqualify teams that do not finish in the top half of their own conferences and also finish above .500. This would mean that only 7 SEC teams get to go bowling and that the worst record a team could have and still qualify would be 6-5-1 (but would almost always require a 7-win season).--I would also apply the same rule to at-large NCAA Tournament selections.

These rules would make schools think long and hard about whether it is better to be a big fish in a less-prestigious conference or to join a bigger conference with a much lower chance of qualifying for the post-season in most sports.

I think ESPN's money is killing the very thing that made college football, and sports generally, compelling to watch. ESPN's obsession with which one team is the national champion is eventually going to undermine the value of regular season games and matchups. Look at most of the early season of college basketball. Most games are not particularly compelling for broadcast purposes because the singular focus on March Madness has made most of those games irrelevant, except for sorting out the highest seeds.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

Poke-proud wrote:Screw the P5 and let's do a G5 playoff.
Will someone tell me how a G5 playoff is substantially different than joining FCS? Both are all about who is the best team among those who have given up trying to compete at the top level?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Made our first bowl game in years and suddenly a G5 playoff means we're giving up playing in the Fiesta Bowl every year. Hello, 1 G5 team gets a good bowl. 1. The rest are playing these meaningless bowl games against Toledo or Idaho or BYU. Why not make these meaningless bowl games actually mean something.

I've always enjoyed that saying that you dance with the one you arrived with. We have arrived with the G5, we need to stick with the G5 and make it everything it can be. Holding out for a P5 bowl (or even worse: an invite) is more asinine than Cousin Eddie holding out for a management position. Teams like Wyoming will never be invited to the table. EVER. Boise couldn't get it done, why do we think we'll be any different?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WyoExpat wrote:
Poke-proud wrote:Screw the P5 and let's do a G5 playoff.
Will someone tell me how a G5 playoff is substantially different than joining FCS? Both are all about who is the best team among those who have given up trying to compete at the top level?
If we constantly look at this through the lense of P5 or bust, than there is no difference.

I don't view it as giving up, teams like Wyoming, conferences like the MWC have hit the ceiling. Where else should we go? What else should we do? I'm all for onwards and upwards but how likely is it that Wyoming ever gets invited to a P5 conference or consistently is the team to put on the glass slipper and face a P5 team in the NY6 bowl? Boise arguably is the best G5 team ever and they've played in what, 2 BCS/P5 bowls ever? (This is strictly off immediate memory, I could be off on that number) I would love to see Wyoming mean something on a national scale but I don't see how that happens regardless of how we play on the field
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Western Michigan held their own against Wisconsin, but in order to be noticed and this to go anywhere, beat the Power 5, not just talk about what if
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

stymeman wrote:Western Michigan held their own against Wisconsin, but in order to be noticed and this to go anywhere, beat the Power 5, not just talk about what if
For a G5 team to even get recognized let alone into the actual playoffs they would have to go undefeated 2 years straight including bowl games at the minimum and during that span there would need to be some quality P5 wins.

If the conference Officials did something in a spectacular way that somehow piqued the interest of media, public and P5 conference Officials that is the best that could ever come from a possible playoff.