Good luck in San Diego

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

CowleyCougFan wrote:Well, a piece written by a Ute fan, hmm.. no axe there to grind. It's a wonderful piece of journalism, isn't it? You can tell he really researched both sides of the story - NOT.

He says "they approached SDSU and UNLV about leaving the MWC" , but cites no source. He's the one saying if it isn't written on a piece of paper it isn't real.

Do you have a legitimate source for these accusations? Honestly, I never read anywhere (that was trustworthy) that BYU instigated the undermining of the MWC.

Look, I can see why you guys wouldn't like BYU. BYU's leaving weakened the MWC. That's a fact. You can deny that if you want, but it is pretty clear to any honest elevator of the situation. And that we were rivals with BYU holding the upper hand for the most part in the later years (after decades of Wyoming dominance) only adds to the resentment.

And yes, I'm sure that many BYU fans come across as arrogant and self-righteous (although, we're not all that way - anymore than you are all urine bomb throwers)

But basing extreme disdain and hatred over unsubstantiated accusations of BYU trying to destroy the MWC when there is no documented proof of that seems over the top.

I think that most who have really followed BYU over the years would agree that while not perfect, BYU's methods aren't typically self-serving to the point where the other party comes out a complete loser.

Besides, life's too short to have such hate in our hearts.

It's good that you want to beat the crap out of BYU. But the hate, I just don't see the justification for it , especially based on hearsay.
I would say it lends credibility - as you say, a Ute fan. What kind of axe to grind does Utah have? They're in the Pac12 and seem to be happy. I don't believe they looked back. It seems BYU might be the ones who are finding independence difficult, possibly scheduling relevant games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Wow some revisionist history in here. Let's not forget byu negotiated the original TV contract. Which did not give the conference members the rights to vote on rebroadcast rights. That was purely left up to cbs. So don't blame the mwc conference for your own ADs poor contract negotiation.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 50 times

HR_Poke wrote:Wow some revisionist history in here. Let's not forget byu negotiated the original TV contract. Which did not give the conference members the rights to vote on rebroadcast rights. That was purely left up to cbs. So don't blame the mwc conference for your own ADs poor contract negotiation.
And people wonder why I hate BYU with a extreme passion!!!!! I would say more but since I'm a moderator I'll keep my trap shut!!! Considering how much I'm a extremely opinionated, this will be the longest 2.5 weeks of my life!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think attempting to kill the MWC is where the hate comes from...
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

I will echo one Dave Walsh during the radio broadcast of the last Wyoming vs BYU football game in Provostan, "I am so glad we don't have to come back here ever again." You are a terrible program with terrible people. Just stay away from us. I wish we didn't have to play you cheap shot artists in this bowl game. Don't try to make nice with us.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

wyokoke wrote:Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think attempting to kill the MWC is where the hate comes from...
The nearly 80 years of self righteous BS prior to that didn't help.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

BYU the Pac 12 "still" doesn't want you, get over yourself
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

CowleyCougFan wrote:Well, either way (no one on this board knows all the facts, that's for sure) I'm still excited to play Wyoming.

You're right about meaningless November games. But other than that you've got to love BYU's exposure as an independent.

Obviously, BYU would love to be in a conference, but outside the "Power Conferences", the money and exposure would be a step backward.
Is there really that great of exposure. I consider myself a pretty big college football fan and I couldn't have told you what record BYU had prior to the game being announced. I hadn't heard a thing about any of BYU's games since September. The only thing that I remember hearing about is HIlls injury(sad). I'm not sure BYU is getting the exposure they believe they are.

Oh I take that back. I remember one thing about end of year BYU. It was when ESPN chose to broadcast the WYO-UNM game on ESPN2 instead of BYU-USU and kicked that game to the U.
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Well, exposure may be relative, but every single BYU game was on TV, and you could watch it anywhere in the country.

How many Wyoming games were on TV that could be watched anywhere in the country this year? (Actually, this isn't smack talk, I really don't know)

It was really bad for BYU in the MWC because they lost 3rd tier rights. You are right that BYU helped broker the original deal but when the network was sold, the new owners refused to work with BYU.

PS I see lots of responses to my posts like "This is why I hate these guys" etc. I have stated my point of view, but honestly, what in all that I have posted gives you cause to hate BYU even worse?
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time

TSpoke wrote:
CowleyCougFan wrote:Well, either way (no one on this board knows all the facts, that's for sure) I'm still excited to play Wyoming.

You're right about meaningless November games. But other than that you've got to love BYU's exposure as an independent.

Obviously, BYU would love to be in a conference, but outside the "Power Conferences", the money and exposure would be a step backward.
Is there really that great of exposure. I consider myself a pretty big college football fan and I couldn't have told you what record BYU had prior to the game being announced. I hadn't heard a thing about any of BYU's games since September. The only thing that I remember hearing about is HIlls injury(sad). I'm not sure BYU is getting the exposure they believe they are.

Oh I take that back. I remember one thing about end of year BYU. It was when ESPN chose to broadcast the WYO-UNM game on ESPN2 instead of BYU-USU and kicked that game to the U.
If he thinks the exposure is great, let him think that! Delusion is a BYU fan's specialty.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

CowleyCougFan wrote: And yes, I'm sure that many BYU fans come across as arrogant and self-righteous (although, we're not all that way - anymore than you are all urine bomb throwers)
The difference is that zero Wyoming fans are urine bomb throwers no matter how much byu fans try to paint us as such.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

elfletcho wrote:I will echo one Dave Walsh during the radio broadcast of the last Wyoming vs BYU football game in Provostan, "I am so glad we don't have to come back here ever again." You are a terrible program with terrible people. Just stay away from us. I wish we didn't have to play you cheap shot artists in this bowl game. Don't try to make nice with us.
I remember when Walsh would bring up the ages of BYU players during WYO-byu broadcasts using the BYU media guide as his source. If I recall correctly, he became a little agitated on-air when BYU removed birthdates from the BYU media guide profiles one year. :lol:
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Anyone care to answer my question?

And I really couldn't care less about the cheap shots, I'm think skinned, but I was hoping to find a few that want to discuss things in an intelligent manor.

Are you happy with Wyoming's exposure? There was a recent article citing that BYU had better exposure on national TV this past year than all but a handful of teams.

It's what BYU was seeking, and they found it. I really miss the old rivalries in the MWC, but I don't miss the horrible TV contract. The money was terrible and the exposure even worse. Am I wrong?
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Oh, I meant to ask you another serious question. What about our program and people are terrible?

What do you know of Kalani Sitaki? Do you think he is a terrible person? What do you make of the numerous comments by broadcasters from ESPN and others this past year noting the increased good sportsmanship from BYU? Is this the kind of thing you expect and get from "terrible people"?

BTW, that's a pretty broad brush you paint with
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

This is what I see with exposure and byu. Byu is very exciting for the first four weeks when they play their top schedule and then as soon as they lose half of those games nobody cares. The next month is ok but nothing to brag about in terms of exposure. Then the final month rolls around and it is terrible.

While everyone else is competing for conference championships, watching scoreboards and hoping team a beats team b so that it helps your teams standings byu is playing garbage teams and literally has nothing but pride to play for.

I think exposure is over-rated as they could still have this epic first month by scheduling the same out of conference schedule and in a conference they get a more exciting November.

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke

If you are technically savvy you find a stream for any game. Exposure isn't really a concern for me. The bonus system for appearing on ESPN has treated us well. The TV contract BYU left over is gone, the Mtn is dead. I'm glad you like your exposure in independence. I like it too, I never have to hear about BYU.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke

pokefanchaz7 wrote:This is what I see with exposure and byu. Byu is very exciting for the first four weeks when they play their top schedule and then as soon as they lose half of those games nobody cares. The next month is ok but nothing to brag about in terms of exposure. Then the final month rolls around and it is terrible.

While everyone else is competing for conference championships, watching scoreboards and hoping team a beats team b so that it helps your teams standings byu is playing garbage teams and literally has nothing but pride to play for.

I think exposure is over-rated as they could still have this epic first month by scheduling the same out of conference schedule and in a conference they get a more exciting November.

This! I was watching to see if Western Michigan would hold on. Wanting to see what Navy was doing. Everything that affected the G5 NY6 bowl. BYU was destined for the Poinsettia Bowl months ago, didn't really care. The only BYU game I cared to watch was the one against Boise (nice call on the fake punt BTW) and that was because we were playing Boise later.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

CowleyCougFan wrote:Anyone care to answer my question?

And I really couldn't care less about the cheap shots, I'm think skinned, but I was hoping to find a few that want to discuss things in an intelligent manor.

Are you happy with Wyoming's exposure? There was a recent article citing that BYU had better exposure on national TV this past year than all but a handful of teams.

It's what BYU was seeking, and they found it. I really miss the old rivalries in the MWC, but I don't miss the horrible TV contract. The money was terrible and the exposure even worse. Am I wrong?
https://twitter.com/Jerrad307/status/803259400555270144
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

POKE FAN wrote:
CowleyCougFan wrote:Anyone care to answer my question?

https://twitter.com/Jerrad307/status/803259400555270144
Well there ya go. Pretty good exposure for the Pokes. Several on ESPN - ESPN 2

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

HR_Poke wrote:
wyokoke wrote:Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think attempting to kill the MWC is where the hate comes from...
The nearly 80 years of self righteous BS prior to that didn't help.
It's the self-righteousness. If they (the Mormons) would just realize that they are different and do things differently (that's just fine, it's a free country) and not judge others for not abiding by their standards things would be a lot better.