Offensive Coordinator to be announced soon

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Stay tuned.
ImageImageImageImage
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

Bob Cole. Looks like a great resume based on what was shown in the Laramie Boomerang article. However, his current season stats were not listed. Here is 2007 Florida A&M Rattlers Season:
RECORD : 3-8(2-7)
2007 Schedule
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME
09/01 Southern L 33-27
09/08 Delaware St L 20-7
09/15 Howard W 30-17
09/29 Tenn St W 18-17
10/06 at Win Salem L 27-23
10/13 at SC St L 49-14
10/18 Norfolk St L 33-27
10/27 at Morgan St L 14-12
11/03 NC A&T W 24-21
11/10 at Hampton L 30-15
11/17 at Beth-Cook L 34-7

He averaged 18.5 points/game
Wyoming 2007 Avg Pts/Game = 19.4
dapokes
Ranch Hand

I just pulled this profile from cstv.com..

Bob Cole is entering his second season as the Rattlers' Offensive Coordinator. Cole likes a wide-open offensive style, and brings a wealth of knowledge and experience in his 20-plus seasons as a coach to the Rattler program.

Cole began his coaching career as an assistant football coach at Moreau High School (1982-85) in Hayward, Calif.

He held that position until he became the head football coach at San Leandro (Calif.) High School (1985-88).

After a six-year stint in the high school ranks, Cole was named the Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks coach at Sonoma State University (1988-92) in Rohnert Park, Calif.

During the 1992 season, his offense set school records for most passing yards in a season (2,988), most passing yards (278.6) per game and the most points per game (29.6). The 1991 offensive unit set school records for touchdowns passes in a season (26), most total yards in a season (3,958) and most wins in a season (9).

Cole ventured to Portland State University (1993-99) as Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks coach in 1993, and the Vikings' offensive units quickly reached several milestones.

They led the nation in total offense (464 yards per game) in 1998; finished in the Top Ten in the nation in total offense (472 yards per game) in 1995 and 1994 (464 yards per game).

Cole produced a running back, Charles Dunn, who became the Vikings' all-time leader rusher and a quarterback, Jimmy Blanchard, who led the nation in passing efficiency in 1998.

After six seasons with Portland State, Cole headed east to the University of Montana (1999) to serve as the Offensive Coordinator and Quarterback coach, a position, he held for one season.

The Grizzlies advanced to the quarterfinal round of the 1999 NCAA Division I-AA play-offs. They finished second in the nation in total offense (517.4 yards per game), passing offense (370.0) and their starting quarterback finished in the top five in the nation in passing efficiency.

Under Cole's tutelage, the Grizzlies averaged over 50 points per game, produced a wide receiver to finish in the top ten in the nation in receiving yards per game and a running back to become the school's all-time rushing leader, by rushing for 1,350 yards in a season.

Cole took over as Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks coach at Division I-A Utah State University in the spring of 1999.

The Aggies finished 13th in the nation in passing offense in 2001; finished seventh in the nation in passing offense and 40th in scoring in 2002.

Cole produced a running back to lead the nation in all-purpose yardage and holds the single game record for all purpose yards (578 yards) in 2000.

Cole was a three year starting quarterback at Widener University (1979-81), where he led the Pioneers to a 35-2 combined record during his tenure and they won the 1981 Division III National Championship. Also, the Pioneers made appearances in the 1979 and 1980 Division III play-off semifinals.

Cole holds B.S. degree in Social Sciences from Widener (Pa.) University (1982). He and his wife Kathy have two children, a daughter Zoe, and a son Bobby.
looks like he's also fl a&m's qb coach...nice

I wouldn't mind picking this guy up, it seems like he's produced everywhere he's been..and with half the talen UW has..
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Interesting......The guys offense finished 98th in the FCS, 88th in passing, and 68th in rushing. Joe must see something he likes about the guy.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

J-Rod wrote:Interesting......The guys offense finished 98th in the FCS, 88th in passing, and 68th in rushing. Joe must see something he likes about the guy.
Bob Cole should be a great pickup for the Pokes. A spread attack is exactly what the Poke Nation wants, and what they'll get. FAMU, however, sucks. Can't get recruits, play in a bad conference.. he should be better with UW.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Joe is really getting flamed over on the other board for even considering this hire. Joe knows the situation better than just about all of us I think, so I'll go along with his decision for awhile. He has his hands full straightening out this mess with all the problems, but he's the one that let it get to this point. In Cole's defense, I understand his starting QB at F A&M got hurt, left the team, and was replaced by a 5' 7" walk-on and he was only there one year I believe, so I can't put much stock into his stats there. Besides that, with all the coaching changes these days, all the good OC's are getting jobs as head coaches. Back to the old "let's see what happens next year". Good luck Joe and Go Pokes.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Cole should be a welcomed addition to the coaching staff. The Griz fans are talking him up pretty big, and wish we had him in Missoula right now. One Utah State fan mentioned that when he was the OC there he turned out Chris Cooley and Kevin Curtis.. not too shabby. I think UW will be okay, but they better get the playbook in Sween's hands now because if they don't turn out some offensive production, heads will roll. I'm sure Cole will know what to do with Devin Moore.
ImageImageImageImage
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

What is all this about Wyo begging for a spread offense, it will fit us perfectly? Thats exactly what Cockhill ran since day one, right up to the CSU game a few weeks ago. A one back, spread offense. Maybe not wide open spread, where a team plays no TE's and goes 4 wide all the time, but a spread none the less. That said, that doesn't mean we dont have the guys for it. Its the not style that was our problem, it was the scheme, strategy, and timing of everything inside of it. Zone read option. Pointless. Sween may become many things by the end, but mobile will likely never be one of them. I personally think Sween would thrive best in a west coast style offense, but it doesnt appear we'll go in that direction. Heading into next season with our current depth chart, I think a spread offense with a creative style running game will suit us best. We absolutely cannnot be a power running attack, which it appears we attempted to be this season. Our o-line should be better, but will still be a question mark. We must get D Moore in space, and attack with Seldon when the box opens up some. Sween would thrive from a play action attack as well. We will likely still lack a deep threat attack.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

A thread from the Portland State board(Cole coached there)

http://www.psufansforum.com/portland-st ... -t1520.htm

Not sounding to great....
I know an ex-Vik who played under Cole for one year. Didn't have good things to say about Cole, although it sounded like his complaints where more a personality issue then an actual x and o's problem
Sounds like the opposite of Billy :?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Something I can't put my finger on right now, but I don't like the looks of this Cole guy. I'll figure it out later. How old is he? I think you need young blood (say 40 - 45 yrs old) in this job. And you can't just come in with a scheme and say this is the way it's going to be. You have to look at the personnel and match your game to the strengths you currently have. I learned that just coaching little league baseball and basketball.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

Here is the official announcement:

http://wyomingathletics.cstv.com/sports ... 07aaa.html

It seems like a state as rich as Wyoming is could pay their coaches a little better. Oh well, if this teams starts challenging for conference titles, maybe they will all get raises.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Oh, just great. Cole was part of the Florida A&M housecleaning - everybody got the sack. Why? In part because of the offense - A&M averaged 18.5 points/game and 308 yds/game. Compare that to the Pokes 19.4 points/game and 323 yads/game.

So now Glenn trades one loser for another. Oh well, look to 2009 when a fresh set of faces will be coaching.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I don't think you understand just how bad FAMU is.. it was definitely not on the OC or the coaching staff!
ImageImageImageImage
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Yeah, it looked like Cole did real good at Utah St. And really good at Montana. 517 yards a game!
Let's hope our Offense is talented enough to put up those kind of numbers.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

Here is a link to a Laramie Boomerang interview with Bob Cole:

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news/mo ... yID=107440

Pretty interesting info.