We did what we should have, it doesn't mean much....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

The combined record of Northern Illinois and UC Davis is 1-5. Neither team looks like it's worth a poop.

Yes, we hung with a Nebraska team that's looking pretty tough this year, for three quarters.

EMU is next. We need to go on the road and get a win against another team we should beat.

We'll see if people can temper the expectations, with the way the Cowboys have looked on the field vs. inferior opponents. All three phases of the game look night and day better than last year.

At least we have found out that we're not as crappy as UC Davis or Northern Illinois at 7220. We were that crappy last year.

Keep improving. Go Pokes!!
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

While we didn't beat Alabama and Ohio State, we are still way ahead of where we've been the past few years, so I'll take it. UC Davis has only one other loss and that's to Oregon, so no embarrassment there. And No. Illinois' other two losses were to a couple of undefeated teams. They'll probably end up challenging in their conference. But we do need to take it one game at a time. I feel we'll beat EM and I also feel we can beat the Rams. It looks like a fun season.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Your facts are wrong. UC-Davis is 1-2. The 1 win being a meaningless win over an NAIA and the 2 losses being to FBS schools. Northern Illinlis may be down a bit but they will be in a bowl game.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I've been encouraged by a lot of different guys this year. We've yet to see how good the team is against opponents similar to what we'll see in the upper half of the MWC.

I like Antonio Hull. He was the leading tackler yesterday. He's had big plays in every game this season.

The same can be said for Granderson. Big G looks like a better pass rusher than Yarborough was last season, and he's only a true sophomore. Imagine how good he'll be his senior year at 275 pounds.

I like the discipline the team has shown in all but one quarter this year. They look more mature. We had quite a few early penalties and the Allen strip 6 fumble. We finished the game with something like 5 penalties and just that one fumble. That's a sign of maturity when your team can correct early mistakes in a game and kick it into cruise mode.

Special teams looks like a strength finally. Thank god they've cleaned that up. At some point, one of our returners is going to take one to the house this year without a penalty.

I told my brother early in week one that the speed on defense looks like a weapon. I told that I thought we would score points on defense this year. I still think that. We almost did yesterday.

Hill.....Check

Allen....qb rating was off the charts yesterday. It was great to see after the 6 turnover struggle in Lincoln.

It's good to see a third receiver emerging. Good for CJ Johnson.

There's encouraging signs all over the field. At least we aren't as bad as we we're last year. That's all we've proven so far. We aren't as bad as last year, at least at home. EMU will tell us if we aren't as bad on the road.

It's a good start. We look like we should be able to get enough wins for bowl eligibility.

I hope people keep that in mind, instead of expecting us to win the MWC this year because we beat two poop teams with a combined record of 1-5.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:Your facts are wrong. UC-Davis is 1-2. The 1 win being a meaningless win over an NAIA and the 2 losses being to FBS schools. Northern Illinlis may be down a bit but they will be in a bowl game.
Good catch. I edited that.

The point is still the same though. The team has yet to get a good win.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:I've been encouraged by a lot of different guys this year. We've yet to see how good the team is against opponents similar to what we'll see in the upper half of the MWC.

I like Antonio Hull. He was the leading tackler yesterday. He's had big plays in every game this season.

The same can be said for Granderson. Big G looks like a better pass rusher than Yarborough was last season, and he's only a true sophomore. Imagine how good he'll be his senior year at 275 pounds.

I like the discipline the team has shown in all but one quarter this year. They look more mature. We had quite a few early penalties and the Allen strip 6 fumble. We finished the game with something like 5 turnovers and just that one fumble. That's a sign of maturity when your team can correct early mistakes in a game and kick it into cruise mode.

Special teams looks like a strength finally. Thank god they've cleaned that up. At some point, one of our returners is going to take one to the house this year without a penalty.

I told my brother early in week one that the speed on defense looks like a weapon. I told that I thought we would score points on defense this year. I still think that. We almost did yesterday.

Hill.....Check

Allen....qb rating was off the charts yesterday. It was great to see after the 6 turnover struggle in Lincoln.

It's good to see a third receiver emerging. Good for CJ Johnson.

There's encouraging signs all over the field. At least we aren't as bad as we we're last year. That's all we've proven so far. We aren't as bad as last year, at least at home. EMU will tell us if we aren't as bad on the road.

We haven't proven anything. It's a good start. We look like we should be able to get enough wins for bowl eligibility.

Aside from that, we haven't proven anything.

I hope people keep that in mind, instead of expecting us to win the MWC this year because we beat two poop teams with a combined record of 1-5.
I don't think anyone here believes we are going to win the MWC, but short of a total melt down, we'll be better than last year and a bowl game is not out of the question. So a bowl game and a win over Colorado State would be great. It's laos be nice to win 7 during the season so we don't have to back into a bowl game. But I'll take it any way. And as long as I'm making my little wish list, I'd also like to see us play Boise close.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time

Cowboy Junky wrote:The combined record of Northern Illinois and UC Davis is 1-5. Neither team looks like it's worth a poop.

Yes, we hung with a Nebraska team that's looking pretty tough this year, for three quarters.
Did SDPokeFan hijack your account? This team is miles ahead of last year. Northern Illinois is 0-3, that is true. They lost their starting QB in week 2, we beat the full strength version by a TD. SUDS beat the downgraded version by 2 TDs. We didn't just eke out a win against an FCS team, we dominated them. We beat them nearly as bad a Oregon did and we never trailed. That's progress! I'll take it!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The goal is a bowl game. Win @EMU and Wyo only needs to be 3-5 in conference play to go bowling. 3-5 is below average play. I'd like to think this team can at least achieve below average play in conference.

Wyoming doesn't have to beat great teams or have a strong SOS to improve. It just needs to win. Already matched last year's win total, this upcoming game can help take a big step to being relevant after the regular season.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

We are getting there - definite improvement. Still room for improvement.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The fact that we "did what we should have" may not mean much in a vacuum, but considering what happened with this program last year, it means more than it normally would.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
snowsailor
Buckaroo

Still on par for going to Division 2 by year 2020.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

Cowboy Junky wrote:The combined record of Northern Illinois and UC Davis is 1-5. Neither team looks like it's worth a poop.
I think we can all agree that beating Northern Illinois was a good win for the program no matter what their record is. They lost to an undefeated South Florida team who has a legit argument to be ranked and lost to undefeated San Diego State who is ranked. You can only control so in the game and winning those two games are what we could control. I don't think 2-1 for this young team is anything to complain about right now.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

snowsailor wrote:Still on par for going to Division 2 by year 2020.
No. We aren't. Not in four years, not in 7 years, not ever...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

snowsailor wrote:Still on par for going to Division 2 by year 2020.
Why do you do things?
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Man you guys should all be optimistic! Last year was Koenning style dumpster fire, train wreck material. I think this is one of the most exciting Wyoming football teams I've seen in years (even though I'm a super casual football fan and have gone through long periods without watching). A QB that can run and gun. A stud all timer RB. A respectable O Line. A fast defense. All kinds of positives that you couldn't find a year ago. Allen getting injured last year might've been the best thing to happen to this program in a long time. It could setup multiple bowl bids, a possible conference title run, and help Bohl gain some recruiting traction. You guys get to talk about going to a bowl game right now! Last year it was how historically bad is this WYO team. Massive turnaround if they don't absolutely tank this year. Injuries could still end this season on a dime, but if they stay healthy poop they could win 7-8 games maybe. You get that kinda mo on your side and who the f-word knows how far they could take it in a weak MWC.
Riding High!!!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:Man you guys should all be optimistic! Last year was Koenning style dumpster fire, train wreck material. I think this is one of the most exciting Wyoming football teams I've seen in years (even though I'm a super casual football fan and have gone through long periods without watching). A QB that can run and gun. A stud all timer RB. A respectable O Line. A fast defense. All kinds of positives that you couldn't find a year ago. Allen getting injured last year might've been the best thing to happen to this program in a long time. It could setup multiple bowl bids, a possible conference title run, and help Bohl gain some recruiting traction. You guys get to talk about going to a bowl game right now! Last year it was how historically bad is this WYO team. Massive turnaround if they don't absolutely tank this year. Injuries could still end this season on a dime, but if they stay healthy poop they could win 7-8 games maybe. You get that kinda mo on your side and who the f-word knows how far they could take it in a weak MWC.
I am optimistic. I just have seen too many football seasons start off 3-1 only to finish 5-7.

I was amped after the Northern Illinois win. Then they got hammered by USF and SDSU. They're probably a decent team, it just doesn't look like as big of a win as it did in week one.

We got both of our wins at home, so we don't know if we have the ability to go get a road win yet.

UC Davis isn't a big win, no matter how you slice it.

I like how we play. We are dominant on both lines and look much improved at every position. The only areas that concern me are tight end, linebacker, the secondary, and our depth.

To me, we've proven that we're not as bad as last year. We have two wins already.

This weeks win was a good chance to prove that we are better than last year, now the jury is out on how much better. It was good to see the team respond from the demoralizing fourth quarter melt down.

We'll have to see, but this is where I think we need to temper the expectations. The big games start this week with a road game at EMU, followed by the Border War, Air Force.....It seems like we have the potential to string together some wins, but we won't know if we have the ability to get a road win until this weekend.

I'll feel a lot better if we can pick up a road win at EMU. If we can, it will give me confidence that we can go to FOCO the next week and bring back the boot.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

Tight end? You're concerned about the TE position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:Tight end? You're concerned about the TE position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I thought it would be a much bigger part of the receiving game. It hasn't yet. Maybe we're saving that for the Border War.

In addition, Hollister picked up a ding yesterday. We don't have much depth behind him.

Those are my concerns at tight end. I thought Hollister would be tearing it up in the passing game, and he isn't yet.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
cowboyz backer
Buckaroo

While Northern Illinois is not as good this year as they have been, that was still a good win for the first game of the year and having little to no scouting on the opponent. The Cowboys did exactly what they should have against a FBS school so I will call it a good win also. They got out to an early lead and never were challenged for the rest of the game.

Unlike other people, I don't think the Nebraska games was "we played them tough for 3 quarters. We almost didn't score in the first half and Nebraska turned it over on the goal line with an interception on a terrible throw. I would say we played Nebraska tough for the third quarter only. That fourth quarter was disaster. I don't take an moral victories away from that game at all.

Its always tough to win on the road. That being said, Eastern Michigan is always one of the worst FBS schools every year and Wyoming, if they want to be competitive in conference, should win that game. I'll take road W's however and whenever I can get them.
Dankohner
Buckaroo

How ever you look at it a win is a win and I will take it.