Burman and Buchanan quotes..

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
7220Fan
Ranch Hand

Here are two quotes. One by Burman and one by Buchanan when Tom Burman was hired.

"I'm a Wyoming guy," says Burman. "I grew up in Wyoming, got my undergraduate degree at UW, spent five years in the UW athletics department in development and fund raising, and returned to UW earlier this year to raise funds for the university through the UW Foundation. I care deeply about this university and the success of UW athletics and our student-athletes. We will build a program that wins conference championships and generates enthusiasm across this great state. The future starts now."

"Tom Burman is a Wyoming guy, and some UW fans will applaud his selection on this basis alone," says Buchanan. "That's not why I hired Tom. Of the five outstanding finalists for this position, Tom was clearly the best person for this position right now. "The University of Wyoming is poised for greatness in intercollegiate athletics, just as we are poised for academic greatness. Thanks to the vision of our political and institutional leaders - and the good fortune of high energy prices - we have the money, the facilities, and the people we need to be competitive," says Buchanan. "Now, with the hiring of Tom Burman, I believe we are ready to climb to the top of the Mountain West Conference. As athletics director at Portland State, he turned around an underachieving program in a matter of a few years."

If these quotes are true, then why would they continue to accept a basketball program that is spiraling downward and out of control? If they truely want to be winners then something has to be done. We are nowhere even close to contending for the "top of the MWC" as Buchanan says. There is no other way to say it... THIS PROGRAM IS IN DEEP TROUBLE!!!
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Im starting to think its because Heath gives a good bj....
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

While the year has gone south, schedule or not Schroyer showed improvement from year one to year two. This year we lost 80% of our scoring right off the bat and 10%-15% more when Afam went out. Most outside observers would have picked the Poke to struggle this year. Maybe not to the extent we are, but most would have picked us to struggle while finding new guys to score.

The reason I'm saying this is because it is too early for Burman and Buchanan to fire Schroyer. He just got an extention and is coming off a year in which we made a post season appearance (regardless of the tournament). He'll get at least one more to turn things around before a hint of gettting canned.

I hope he can turn it around, but if not we need a guy in here who can. Next year could be the do or die year. As fans what would you rather see? Schroyer improving this team? Or, Schroyer getting canned becasue next year is just as bad as this year? I'm hoping for a turnaround, but I'm always optimistic.
7220Fan
Ranch Hand

Jimmy, I will agree with you on 1 thing but I have to respectfully disagree with you on others.

Schroyer did improve last year. Although he had wins against:

Prarie View A&M
Cal-St Bakersfield
Johnson and Wales
Texas St. (barely)
Western St
Sacramento St
Houston Baptist
Howard

I am not really sure what that proves, again no disrespect.

Here are somethings that I have seen this year.

a). Losses at home to So. Dakota St (13-11), Monmouth (10-14), Hampton (7-15) on our home court which is horribly embarrassing.

b). The worst loss in the history of the AA in a 28 point loss to UNLV.

c). On pace to set an all-time LOW record of home attendance since the AA was built over 25 years ago.

d). Kids either quitting or asked to leave. 6 Schroyer recruits (his own kids that he asked to come and play for the pokes) have left since he was hired. 11 total kids have left since he was hired. And this is as we speak right now. Rumors are that some of the other kids are not happy either.

This program is in deep trouble and I don't think that you would disspute that. If something doesn't change and change soon, all these things that I have just listed might be good news compared to what it could be at this same time next year. Again, this is said with no disrespect.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

7220Fan wrote:This program is in deep trouble...if something doesn't change and change soon, all these things that I have just listed might be good news compared to what it could be at this same time next year.
Well stated.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Evermore
Buckaroo

Don't forget the first double loss to CSU in 10 years and the very real possibility of seeing the first losing year EVER in the AA.... Not that it matters at this point.

I also just can't get behind the "we lost such great players" argument. Doesn't BYU lose players every year? Utah? SDSU? New Mexico? And they are perennial contenders in this league. The fact is, every other team in the NCAA loses great players every year, just like us. The difference is that the great teams and coaches develop players over their entire career to ensure success year after year. Then again, I suppose it's hard to develop players when they all leave....
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

While the year has gone south, schedule or not Schroyer showed improvement from year one to year two. This year we lost 80% of our scoring right off the bat and 10%-15% more when Afam went out. Most outside observers would have picked the Poke to struggle this year. Maybe not to the extent we are, but most would have picked us to struggle while finding new guys to score.

The reason I'm saying this is because it is too early for Burman and Buchanan to fire Schroyer. He just got an extention and is coming off a year in which we made a post season appearance (regardless of the tournament). He'll get at least one more to turn things around before a hint of gettting canned.

I hope he can turn it around, but if not we need a guy in here who can. Next year could be the do or die year. As fans what would you rather see? Schroyer improving this team? Or, Schroyer getting canned becasue next year is just as bad as this year? I'm hoping for a turnaround, but I'm always optimistic.
He didn't improve for McLain last year to year two of his tenure. He played a fuc*ing cooking school.

He padded his schedule to get wins and did okay during the non conference.. From the Utah State Game through conference they had a losing record..
Schroyer has done not a thing since he has been here except make promises unfullfilled.

Make excuses that don't make sense.

Blame everybody for faiulure but himself

Take any credit that could possibly be given for himself

behave with animosity to any player that he or Langley didn't recruit and run players off.

Anything less than 17 wins his first season was a step back

Not being able to get at least 20 winds and a NIT bid his second year with that cupcake OOC schedule is a failure

This season a failure.

Now I love fam like a son but the hype gven him this year is more propaganda. He was the 4th best player on the team last season and he was in the tops nationally in turnovers.He got FOY because his point total broke the previous record..In perspective Ewing broke Boguts record and was the leading scorer on the team but didn't get FOY but he made 3rd team.Afam made FOY but didn't make any all conference team..But to my original point to place all hope and now use Afam as an excuse is illogical since he would have to do this without the three who actually carried the team.

Now if you watch the games a defense collapses if one player doesn't know their rotations and if you watch it was usually Afam.If you don't understand th game you make think whoever flew out late or released to the roation was at fault.Watch again

Now I think Platt was a defensive liability but he played a role as someone earlier stated.Shoot the 3..Schroyer f-word with his form and his confidence..Mclain told Platt shoot the ball if you are open and can get it off..If it's blocked we get it back becaue you are deep sideline and the block will go out of bounds.

Can't be a shooter with no confidence.

I am done rambling..until the next time some BS is posted that starts the pity party for heath
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

I've stayed quiet on Heath since he was hired.

People didn't like the direction that McClain's teams were going and wanted him out. Well, they got what they wanted and Tommy Boy hired his buddy. We are now in the toilet. We are the worst team in the conference with no upside. Attendance is at an all-time low.

Somebody needs to pony up $3,000 for a hooker and a hidden camera at the MWC tourney, post them up on the internet and get Heath fired with cause.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Or ask him about any arrests in the family.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

Wyolie Coyote wrote:Or ask him about any arrests in the family.
Oh, come on. Don't you know the department's no-tolerance policy can be ignored if you are friends and buddies with the person involved or if you can get Laramie police to drop the charges.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Wyolie Coyote wrote:Or ask him about any arrests in the family.
Low blow there Coyote! By the way, he/she wasn't the first...and now, everyone has a pass because of what has transpired! Can you just imagine...
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

CowboyCO wrote:I've stayed quiet on Heath since he was hired.

People didn't like the direction that McClain's teams were going and wanted him out. Well, they got what they wanted and Tommy Boy hired his buddy. We are now in the toilet. We are the worst team in the conference with no upside. Attendance is at an all-time low.

Somebody needs to pony up $3,000 for a hooker and a hidden camera at the MWC tourney, post them up on the internet and get Heath fired with cause.

McClain needed to go. Most of us agreed. But for poop sake, Burman really F&%#ed up the replacement hire...and now we are in worse shape.
Dear Karma,