Are there any assistants we're looking at?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowduck
Cowpoke

cali2wyo wrote:Does anyone know if Lieberman's trainer/AAU coach/roommate is hoping to make coaching a career? He's got a lot of southern California connections and is already in Laramie and involved with the team.
The impression I get from his twitter feed is that he is working on his degree and can't really be a candidate for any coaching job until he finishes that up.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wondering if this guy is going to be one of the assistant coaches.

James Kane from Murray St.

http://www.goracers.com/staff.aspx?staff=179

Coach Edwards was with him at the final four and Houston/OKC Thunder game this weekend.

Coach Edwards coached with him before at VCU.

Might not be but wouldn't surprise me if he was.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Aaron wrote:
rich22 wrote:I know this is a long shot but what is Brandon Ewing doing? He might fit really well with the coaching staff as the third assistant and he has a bunch of ties to the Midwest especially Chicago. Just a thought.
I do believe he sells cars at Laramie GM
Us Wyoming fans are hilarious. Brandon Ewing as coach? Really, is this a serious statement? I love the kid, and loved watching him play, but that is a horrible, horrible idea. He has no experience...none. Maybe as a G.A. - but not as a coach, that would be a travesty (for him and UW). And especially with the thought of him maybe having ties to Chicago - that is ridiculous. He may have ties to one or two high schools at most, but that doesn't guarantee anything anyway.

And no, he doesn't sell cars at Laramie GM, and never did. He worked as a marketing person there, but hasn't done that quite some time.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
Aaron wrote:
rich22 wrote:I know this is a long shot but what is Brandon Ewing doing? He might fit really well with the coaching staff as the third assistant and he has a bunch of ties to the Midwest especially Chicago. Just a thought.
Us Wyoming fans are hilarious. Brandon Ewing as coach? Really, is this a serious statement? I love the kid, and loved watching him play, but that is a horrible, horrible idea. He has no experience...none. Maybe as a G.A. - but not as a coach, that would be a travesty (for him and UW). And especially with the thought of him maybe having ties to Chicago - that is ridiculous. He may have ties to one or two high schools at most, but that doesn't guarantee anything anyway.

And no, he doesn't sell cars at Laramie GM, and never did. He worked as a marketing person there, but hasn't done that quite some time.
+1 Agree with this.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

McPeachy wrote:
Aaron wrote:

Haha I did say it was a long shot.

But we aren't talking about the head job or even the second assistant job. He would take young Shyatt's old position. He has quite a bit of basketball knowledge with him playing overseas and I think if a kid from Chicago that played D1 basketball came back as a coach to Chicago to recruit, I would bet he could make some pretty quick connections with a lot of coaches.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

rich22 wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Aaron wrote:

But we aren't talking about the head job or even the second assistant job. He would take young Shyatt's old position. He has quite a bit of basketball knowledge with him playing overseas and I think if a kid from Chicago that played D1 basketball came back as a coach to Chicago to recruit, I would bet he could make some pretty quick connections with a lot of coaches.
He worked at Laramie GM as recently as last June.

But seriously, I do not want to see him as an assistant. If we're gonna hire someone with absolutely no experience based off the fact that they played overseas and may have connections back home I would much rather see Hankerson get the job. But even that would be a terrible hire. We need someone with a proven track record, not someone the fans have wet dreams about
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Remember the push for Bailey to become the new head coach when Schroyer was fired. Haha. We are a pretty funny fanbase with some of our ideas.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... f3407.html

Says he has two guys coming in late this week or early next week. Also confirms that Duncan has left.

All suspended players are back and all players expected to return. No timeline on Conway to make a decision of what he wants to play or if he decides to do both(doesn't sound like it will be the decision but that is just me reading into it)
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I do hope that if they are unable to bring in a quality player they sit on the scholarship instead of giving it out to another project player.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

I wonder if Edwards is thinking of promoting Jerron Granberry to a full time assistant? Seems like it would be a logical step. He's been on the staff for a couple years now as a G.A.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote:http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... f3407.html

Says he has two guys coming in late this week or early next week. Also confirms that Duncan has left.

All suspended players are back and all players expected to return. No timeline on Conway to make a decision of what he wants to play or if he decides to do both(doesn't sound like it will be the decision but that is just me reading into it)

The way this article reads I can almost bet that James Kane from Murray St. is one of the guys.

Also another note..... the non conference schedule to this point looks a LOT better than seasons past so we shouldn't have too many complaints in that area.

Home games with :

Northern Iowa (NCAA tourney team)
South Dakota St. (NCAA tourney team)
Denver
Montana

Road Games

Cal (NCAA tourney team)
Montana

Las Vegas Tourney playing:

USC (NCAA tourney team)
Then either Depaul or Missouri St.

That's 8 games so only 4 more games to fill for the non conference most likely.

I like the looks of the non conference schedule. :thumb:

rich22
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
rich22 wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Aaron wrote:

He worked at Laramie GM as recently as last June.

But seriously, I do not want to see him as an assistant. If we're gonna hire someone with absolutely no experience based off the fact that they played overseas and may have connections back home I would much rather see Hankerson get the job. But even that would be a terrible hire. We need someone with a proven track record, not someone the fans have wet dreams about

I never said that I have wet dreams about him. I threw it out there as a "long shot". Man people keep exaggerating what I said. haha! I thought if we are thinking outside the box then why not give an alumni a shot.

I do agree with you that we would be better off hiring a couple of experienced guys that have coaching experience and coaching connections. This discussion is a mute point because from the sounds of it, at the coaches convention, Coach Edwards had a lot of assistant coaches really interested in the job so no need to get someone with no experience like Brandon.
ballscout1
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:
Aaron wrote:

This has to be one of the dumbest most uninformed posts I have even seen.

1) you obviously are from Wyoming and think associations are based on that fact. meaning there is one or two high schools in each city.

The Chicago Public League has 50 schools and if you have connections it is sure more than 1 or 2 schools.

Secondly Ewing has connection through the Chicagoland area going into Sothern Illinois as well. He is also connected into Indiana and Wisconsin.

This also doesn't take into account other D1 coaches who can't place a kid but think they have the character and talent to find a school. The call peers

So for that point I can see you have no idea what you are talking about.

2) Ewing has worked to do great things to repair the relationship with the area and the basketball team. I suppose you have no idea he set up and executed a fundraiser for a former Cowboy football player that was suffering from cancer without the support of the university and it was a success.

He also has a non profit to help recruit incoming WYO students.

You are pitiful and I have always wondered why he felt such a connection to Laramie when there are people like you.

3) Not only can Ewing assist with recruiting because no matter how many names you throw out this is a kid who wants to be there and the names you throw out have to be convinced

4) He has worked with the WYO program for free because he is committed and the players connected with him.

5) The University of Wyoming would be stupid to think they could get a more qualified assistant to add to the head coaches program especially for the money they pay.

6) Ewing wants to get into coaching and will. Either WYO can benefit or they won't.

7) Not to mention that Ewing represented WYO positively and has very good alumni support...

And to think some of you cats talk about Stewart you must not know he couldn't wait to leave.. And Shroyer was a bust but you mention him coming back?

I hope if Ewing is interested he sees this and stops thinking WYO has anything to offer in terms of loyalty or experience.

I
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

FWIW I think Brandon would make an excellent coach. I'd welcome him onto the program in some capacity.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

ballscout1 wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Aaron wrote:

1) you obviously are from Wyoming and think associations are based on that fact. meaning there is one or two high schools in each city.

The Chicago Public League has 50 schools and if you have connections it is sure more than 1 or 2 schools.

Secondly Ewing has connection through the Chicagoland area going into Sothern Illinois as well. He is also connected into Indiana and Wisconsin.

This also doesn't take into account other D1 coaches who can't place a kid but think they have the character and talent to find a school. The call peers

2) Ewing has worked to do great things to repair the relationship with the area and the basketball team. I suppose you have no idea he set up and executed a fundraiser for a former Cowboy football player that was suffering from cancer without the support of the university and it was a success.

You are pitiful and I have always wondered why he felt such a connection to Laramie when there are people like you.

3) Not only can Ewing assist with recruiting because no matter how many names you throw out this is a kid who wants to be there and the names you throw out have to be convinced

4) He has worked with the WYO program for free because he is committed and the players connected with him.

5) The University of Wyoming would be stupid to think they could get a more qualified assistant to add to the head coaches program especially for the money they pay.

6) Ewing wants to get into coaching and will. Either WYO can benefit or they won't.

7) Not to mention that Ewing represented WYO positively and has very good alumni support...

And to think some of you cats talk about Stewart you must not know he couldn't wait to leave.. And Shroyer was a bust but you mention him coming back?

I hope if Ewing is interested he sees this and stops thinking WYO has anything to offer in terms of loyalty or experience.

I
Yeah McPeachy, f-word you for being skeptical about someone with no coaching experience!!! how could you!?!? He even played here!!! This guy obviously knows everything he's talking ab out!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

ballscout1 wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Aaron wrote:

I
This is one of the strangest posts I have ever read. I remember your posts from the MWCboard, but don't remember them being unhinged like this.

Everybody that posts on here is likely well acquainted with the "Once a Cowboy" foundation.

If Brandon wants to get into coaching he is well aware that the first step is as a GA or possibly a DOBO or equivalent role. I have no doubt that if he was interested in that path there would be opportunities available to him as we have seen from other former players under Shyatt (Watsabaugh, Granberry) and McClain (McMillan is on his staff at UIC now).

Finally, Schroyer coming back? Where do you get that notion? You might want to re-read the first page of this thread.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Dear anyone that thinks Ewing should be an assistant at UW:

Brandon is a good person (from what I know) and a good ambassador for Wyoming.

Having said that, he has zero college coaching experience. This is D1 basketball, you don't "pop your cherry" here, that is skipping 3 or 4 steps.

If he wants to be a GA, great. He wants to help us in a non-coaching role, by all means. Hell, let him be the director of basketball ops. But be an assistant coach, no thanks.

At least this idea isn't as dumb as the minor push for Marcus Bailey to replace Schroyer as head coach 6 or 7 years ago, now that was idiotic.
rich22
Ranch Hand

ballscout1 wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Aaron wrote:

I
My bad for suggesting this Brandon Ewing discussion. I really like Brandon and think he would be great but if we have experienced coaches wanting to come here then we need to chose from that pool. It's just like any other job you want the guy that has been in the profession for a while unless you want to do a lot of training. I dont think Coach Edwards being a new head coach wants to deal with that. I do think Brandon should get into coaching eventually though.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

ballscout1 wrote:This has to be one of the dumbest most uninformed posts I have even seen.

I
:shock:

Welcome to the board! No need to be insulting and nasty, just to come here to share your opinion about a topic...it makes you look uneducated, grasping, and immature. Not to mention, you should brush up on your writing skills a little - wow.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

What a strange post. No one criticized Brandon. I think everyone loves him as a player, ambassador,person. He was awesome the several times I met him. The only comments were that Wyoming should probably not pursue a guy tht has no coaching experience for a full AC position on our bench. We didn't even know if that was something he wanted to do. If Ewing wants to get into coaching, that's awesome. I think he would be great at it. He has the credentials, the personality and the drive to be great at it, in my opinion but there is usually a process to how one starts in the industry and I don't think it is insulting to point that out.