Spring Quarterback Update

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:If Josh Allen isn't running away with the starting spot, that pretty much says we will have some real good talent at QB.
Or maybe it means that a guy with 13 snaps in his career isn't the Messiah everyone here seems to think he is?
Right? It's weird that everyone has Allen pegged as a force for having a few good plays against EMU...possibly the worst team in America. Worse than most FCS opponents.
I don't think anyone who saw him play noticed the potential. He moved the offense at will against EMU. They couldn't stop him. That performance was enough to get people excited. Nothing more, nothing less.
Did more in two possessions than smith did in all his
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 135 times

If the o-line takes some steps forward and Mr. Hill continues to take strides, it will be a situation ideal for a new QB.

Personally, that is why I have optimism for improved QB play regardless of who is in there.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:If the o-line takes some steps forward and Mr. Hill continues to take strides, it will be a situation ideal for a new QB.

Personally, that is why I have optimism for improved QB play regardless of who is in there.
I agree RagTime, if you think whoever wins the QB job will be an adequate passer. The fact that they will also be able to run (which is true for Allen and Smith) will make the offense more dynamic with a better OL and one of the best RBs in the country.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Jesus guys it's March... if you want to motivate two players to improve you don't hand one the job 6 months before the season.. that tells the starter he's set which can tempt him to kick back, and it tells the other guy you don't have a chance so best of luck to you.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

I'm not going to bash Smith for his poor performance - that had to be the worst case of first game jitters I have ever seen. That was not the real Nick Smith.
I guess we will have to wait and see what happens this fall, but I'm not concerned about QB play & maybe Garrett is better than both Allen & Smith.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

JimmyDimes wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:If Josh Allen isn't running away with the starting spot, that pretty much says we will have some real good talent at QB.
Or maybe it means that a guy with 13 snaps in his career isn't the Messiah everyone here seems to think he is?
Right? It's weird that everyone has Allen pegged as a force for having a few good plays against EMU...possibly the worst team in America. Worse than most FCS opponents.
I don't think anyone who saw him play noticed the potential. He moved the offense at will against EMU. They couldn't stop him. That performance was enough to get people excited. Nothing more, nothing less.
A) Maybe I'm just dumb, but I'm not exactly sure what Oregon State has to do with our QB situation. B) He has 91 career all purpose yards. That is enough to make some people a little skeptical. Nothing more, nothing less.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
Possibly the worst team in America yet they came into our house and beat the hell out of us lol
Probably would have beat Oregon State too.
:lol:

:popcorn:
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

BeaverPoke wrote:Or lack of talent all around at QB.
Maybe the issue is not talent, but skills and readiness to play? Talent is only one piece of the puzzle and there is often more talent than skill development on a college roster.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WYCowboy wrote:maybe Garrett is better than both Allen & Smith.
We know that 23-year-old Garrett will be better than 19-year-old Garrett. Let's hope that either Allen or Smith are better than 19-year-old Garrett so that we get to see 23-year-old Garrett.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Don't sleep on Garrett. He is damn good, big, fast, and accurate. Go to his Twitter... He is throwing routes. Dudes in shape.

We will see how his mind can grasp the playbook. I'm sure he already has a copy or e copy on his tablet. Wish he woulda came after semester. Probably wanted to get some poontang for prom.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Whoever gets the job, I wish the best.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

fromolwyoming wrote:Whoever gets the job, I wish the best.
Me too, but from what I saw of Josh Allen has me pretty much at ease with the QB situation. If Garrett beats Allen out for the starting job, then we shouldn't have any worries about the offense (players) at all.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

WYCowboy wrote:Me too, but from what I saw of Josh Allen has me pretty much at ease with the QB situation. If Garrett beats Allen out for the starting job, then we shouldn't have any worries about the offense (players) at all.
I'm taking everything we saw from Allen with a big grain of salt. Remember how awesome we all thought Morris Marshall was going to be after seeing him in limited action? We're basically giving the same pass to Josh Allen. We really need to temper our expectations to avoid a major letdown.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:Me too, but from what I saw of Josh Allen has me pretty much at ease with the QB situation. If Garrett beats Allen out for the starting job, then we shouldn't have any worries about the offense (players) at all.
I'm taking everything we saw from Allen with a big grain of salt. Remember how awesome we all thought Morris Marshall was going to be after seeing him in limited action? We're basically giving the same pass to Josh Allen. We really need to temper our expectations to avoid a major letdown.
The difference is Josh Allen doesn't have to play D. :D
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyoExpat wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:Or lack of talent all around at QB.
Maybe the issue is not talent, but skills and readiness to play? Talent is only one piece of the puzzle and there is often more talent than skill development on a college roster.

I agree with you on that.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
oumatt
Buckaroo

The amount of time spent in 11 on 11 drills where one qb can show dominance will be limited during spring ball. Only having two arms in camp at the moment hinders the qb race because of the amount of throws being made during warm ups and ensuring the WRs get touches. Unfortunate that none of the three high school qbs could enroll early.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

oumatt wrote:The amount of time spent in 11 on 11 drills where one qb can show dominance will be limited during spring ball. Only having two arms in camp at the moment hinders the qb race because of the amount of throws being made during warm ups and ensuring the WRs get touches. Unfortunate that none of the three high school qbs could enroll early.
Are they still double repping during Spring Practice?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

what is nice if one has a bad half or such, we won't slump if the other is plugged in there, kinda excited about our offense this year(somewhat)
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

stymeman wrote:what is nice if one has a bad half or such, we won't slump if the other is plugged in there, kinda excited about our offense this year(somewhat)
I'm going to disagree with this. Unless Nick has learned to hit WR's in the hands, there will be a big slump
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote:
stymeman wrote:what is nice if one has a bad half or such, we won't slump if the other is plugged in there, kinda excited about our offense this year(somewhat)
I'm going to disagree with this. Unless Nick has learned to hit WR's in the hands, there will be a big slump
That's why we will institute the triple option if he goes in!