Conway as a WR

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Slow Hand wrote:
Wyolie Coyote wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:No, no no, no! Lets not use the word cancer....I apologize for even using the reference. It is directed at him only because he is the only one trying to play football. I could give a rats ass less about the other four. Lets just say that he has already screwed up once officially ( meaning he got "popped" on the drug issue) All I am saying is we must really be looking for players in all the wrong places if we are considering a redshirt basketball player who has already violated the trust coefficient on the basketball team. Maybe I am "old school" but I wouldn't put up with even one drug violation on my team. If you people really knew how many drug violations we have that go unannounced or blanketed as a "Team Violation" you too would be appalled! Most of the time it is treated with very little regard. Kuddos to Poppa Shy for publicizing it!
Huh??
Poppa Shy didn't back away from it. He acknowledged it publicly and dealt with it the best he knew how to. Rather than trying to cover it up.
It was announced as a violation of team rules. Only when some journalists found the citations and published it did Shyatt talk about it.
Now I don't care about that. These kids deserve some privacy and don't need the coaches spilling their personal life in public even if they know it will eventually come out. It is not there place. But Shyatt didn't do anything different than most college coaches here.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:
Wyolie Coyote wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:No, no no, no! Lets not use the word cancer....I apologize for even using the reference. It is directed at him only because he is the only one trying to play football. I could give a rats ass less about the other four. Lets just say that he has already screwed up once officially ( meaning he got "popped" on the drug issue) All I am saying is we must really be looking for players in all the wrong places if we are considering a redshirt basketball player who has already violated the trust coefficient on the basketball team. Maybe I am "old school" but I wouldn't put up with even one drug violation on my team. If you people really knew how many drug violations we have that go unannounced or blanketed as a "Team Violation" you too would be appalled! Most of the time it is treated with very little regard. Kuddos to Poppa Shy for publicizing it!
Huh??
Poppa Shy didn't back away from it. He acknowledged it publicly and dealt with it the best he knew how to. Rather than trying to cover it up.
You need to go back and read what Shy said. He didn't acknowledge until the Branding Iron published it. There are no kudos due to Shy for publicizing it.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Okay....no kudos to Shyatt. My point ( I think) is that I think we are kinda grasping at straws. Is he a scholly player on the BB team?
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Slow Hand wrote:Okay....no kudos to Shyatt. My point ( I think) is that I think we are kinda grasping at straws. Is he a scholly player on the BB team?
I'm not really sure what the point is.

As to the bolded question, again not exactly sure what you are asking. Is he currently a scholarship player on the BB team? Yes. Does he have to skills to be a Scholly player on the BB team? Most definitely yes. Should he be on scholarship after the weed incident? IMHO Yes along with everyone else. I'm a big believer in second chances. Will he be on scholarship for BBall this fall? I don't know. Depending on how football goes and what Coach Bohl decides and what he chooses to do and what Coach Edwards does with the suspended players.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Slow Hand wrote:Okay....no kudos to Shyatt. My point ( I think) is that I think we are kinda grasping at straws. Is he a scholly player on the BB team?
How so? Because some people don't think that half the basketball team is a bunch of cancers and that an athlete who was recruited by P5 schools for football could help our football team?
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote:

As to the bolded question, again not exactly sure what you are asking. Is he currently a scholarship player on the BB team? Yes. Does he have to skills to be a Scholly player on the BB team? Most definitely yes. Should he be on scholarship after the weed incident? IMHO Yes along with everyone else. I'm a big believer in second chances. Will he be on scholarship for BBall this fall? I don't know. Depending on how football goes and what Coach Bohl decides and what he chooses to do and what Coach Edwards does with the suspended players.
All I asked was "is he a scholarship player?" No hidden meaning or agenda I was just curious.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

wyokoke wrote:
How so? Because some people don't think that half the basketball team is a bunch of cancers and that an athlete who was recruited by P5 schools for football could help our football team?
Damn son, I already admitted that "cancer" was not a good choice of words. It just seems to me that we are looking for players in places that others have very little interest.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Slow Hand wrote:
TSpoke wrote:

All I asked was "is he a scholarship player?" No hidden meaning or agenda I was just curious.
I was just trying to answer your question as I wasn't sure what you meant by the question not accusing you of anything.

Yes he is a scholarship player.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Slow Hand wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
Damn son, I already admitted that "cancer" was not a good choice of words. It just seems to me that we are looking for players in places that others have very little interest.

Not sure if we are talking basketball or football here but in the case of Austin Conway. For Basketball he had offers from Indiana, Nebraska among others and for Football he had offers from CU, Nebraska, USU, CSU and others so I would say others had plenty of interest.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
wyokoke wrote:

Not sure if we are talking basketball or football here but in the case of Austin Conway. For Basketball he had offers from Indiana, Nebraska among others and for Football he had offers from CU, Nebraska, USU, CSU and others so I would say others had plenty of interest.
I wonder how interested they would be now?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Slow Hand wrote:
TSpoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
wyokoke wrote:

For football, I'm sure there are a lot of programs that would still take him in a heartbeat. No reason not to. If an athlete got kicked off the team every time they got caught smoking pot, there would be a lot less college athletes in this country.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:Donovan McNabb, Terrell Owens, Antwaan Randle El are some others who did both football and basketball.
Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham
Gates never played college football. Graham played football for one season for Miami after he had played 4 years of basketball.
I thought Gates did one year too? Either way I guess that's kind of a different situation than we're possibly looking at with Austin
Gates initially committed to Michigan State to play football for Nick Saban and basketball for Tom Izzo, but Saban told him that he wouldn't allow him to do both.

Nick Saban is a control freak.
And? The guy produces champions...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
TSpoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
wyokoke wrote:

For football, I'm sure there are a lot of programs that would still take him in a heartbeat. No reason not to. If an athlete got kicked off the team every time they got caught smoking pot, there would be a lot less college athletes in this country.
Perhaps that would be a good thing. Examples and precedents have to begin somewhere.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Kicking out athletes for a first-time pot offense??? Come on. If they do that, then they had better also kick out every athlete that drinks before they are 21. Or any 18 year-old athletes in Utah that smoke or chew.

Was it smart? No, very dumb. Is it that big a deal? No.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:Kicking out athletes for a first-time pot offense??? Come on. If they do that, then they had better also kick out every athlete that drinks before they are 21. Or any 18 year-old athletes in Utah that smoke or chew.

Was it smart? No, very dumb. Is it that big a deal? No.
We need not all agree but we can agree that you and I have two different set of values. No big deal to you, a big deal to me. However neither of our opinions matter! LOL
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 135 times

It depends on the offense, but often, a good punishment without ruining a career or person is way more productive for everyone involved. I certainly think that holds true here. It doesn't seem logical to me to bury the kids over this. JMO, though.

Things I would immediately dismiss over are "armed robbery, murder, domestic violence, etc." Basically things that clearly draw the person's character into question.

Pot, alcohol, maybe a minor cheating incident, or something along those lines seems to be grounds for punishment but not life wrecking. Again, JMO. Probably because I screwed up lots and did lots of stupid crap. I was just fortunate enough to not get caught :lol:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

I wonder if the CSewe players can smoke a doob and avoid trouble since it is "legal" in Colorado?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Avoid legal trouble? As long as they are at least 21, don't drive under the influence, and don't smoke in public, then yes.

Avoid trouble with the school and the NCAA? Nope.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 135 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Avoid trouble with the school and the NCAA? Nope.
That depends on how you define trouble. Trouble as in reprimand, running extra, perhaps a suspension, etc. or trouble as in lose scholarship, kicked off team, kicked out of University.

If it is the latter, then I disagree. I suspect it will be the former which is sufficient.

The kids will also learn a lesson in US society, when you stumble, there will be many eager to dance on the carcass of your career. However, those same people will be celebrating on your coattails when they (the kids) achieve greatness. In other words, the level of forgiveness will likely be directly proportional to the amount of success they have as an athlete.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:I wonder if the CSewe players can smoke a doob and avoid trouble since it is "legal" in Colorado?
Well technically ....still illegal. However, I am fairly certain that the federal government is not going to send in an army of federal agents to "Mop" that area up!