Austin Conway Basketball/Football

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
denverpoke
Buckaroo

Per tweets from Robert and Ryan, Bolh is looking at Conway...Interesting time for basketball
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

denverpoke wrote:Per tweets from Robert and Ryan, Bolh is looking at Conway...Interesting time for basketball
Yeah I noticed on Austin's twitter a couple weeks ago he was talking a lot about football instead of basketball and it made me wonder if he was going to quit the basketball team.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

I'm not a fan unless football picks up his scholarship 100% and allows the basketball team to sign 13 players committed to just basketball.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

Always though Adams would have been an NFL DB if he went that direction.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I'm all for this. I think he has great potential for football as well as basketball. Lots of big schools were after him to play football. We never would have had a chance to sign him on the football team. Now we can have him on both squads. I think basketball should and will be the top priority but if they can work some packages in for him on the football field he could be a great weapon.

Let's see how it plays out.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

After watching his football tape I would say he will probably make a better football player than basketball player. He was recruited by some bigger schools for football.

He may end up just playing football. He could play both though.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

Didn't see this post. I just posted an article about this on the football side of the board.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Shouldn't read too much into this (at this point). They are merely "testing the waters" by having him practice a few times as a DB and WR. Just to see if anything sticks. The jury hasn't even been selected, that is how far out things are.

That said, I have a special respect for 2-sport athletes at the D1 level. That takes everything you have to make happen, and is quite rare this day and age.

By the way, was our last 2-sport athlete at UW Hoffschneider (wrestling and football) 2005-ish?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I'm interested to see his progress here, I do remember when Scotty Vines tried this can't remember too many others that have tried this at UW, we'll see
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:Shouldn't read too much into this (at this point). They are merely "testing the waters" by having him practice a few times as a DB and WR. Just to see if anything sticks. The jury hasn't even been selected, that is how far out things are.

That said, I have a special respect for 2-sport athletes at the D1 level. That takes everything you have to make happen, and is quite rare this day and age.

By the way, was our last 2-sport athlete at UW Hoffschneider (wrestling and football) 2005-ish?
Was that before or after Scotty Vines? If I remember correctly, he played both for one season
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Shouldn't read too much into this (at this point). They are merely "testing the waters" by having him practice a few times as a DB and WR. Just to see if anything sticks. The jury hasn't even been selected, that is how far out things are.

Was that before or after Scotty Vines? If I remember correctly, he played both for one season
Scotty was earlier...like 2001 or so.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

We had a lineman just recently that wrestled. His name escapes me but it was on one of DCs teams
Edit: Jack Tennant maybe? Could be wrong
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

He didn't play both for a season. He played football after his basketball eligibility was used up.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyolie Coyote wrote:

He didn't play both for a season. He played football after his basketball eligibility was used up.
Correct that he didn't play both at the same time but he quit basketball after one season then played several of football if I remember correctly. Didn't use up his basketball eligibility.

Funny enough that's what I was hoping Austin would do(play football one year after basketball eligibility) so I was a bit disappointed when he redshirted cuz that stopped that idea. But if he can pull off the 2 sport challenge that will be even better. Lots of hoops to go through before it happens but I'm excited about the possibility.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Wyolie Coyote wrote:

Gregg Sawyer did the same think with Track & Field. I know Josh is training for the NBA draft, but I would have loved to see him jump for the UW Track team.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

This IS a BIG DEAL. Reason is that IF he plays football he can count as 1 or 85 or 90 scholorships. And he'd have to count on football if he plays because that sport has more scholorships. Adding one scholorship at the expense of a kid that prob contributes starting day 1 if he played football is worth it
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Coeur d' Alene wrote:This IS a BIG DEAL. Reason is that IF he plays football he can count as 1 or 85 or 90 scholorships. And he'd have to count on football if he plays because that sport has more scholorships. Adding one scholorship at the expense of a kid that prob contributes starting day 1 if he played football is worth it
Football gets 85 scholarships. I think there are specific rules about which sport must use the scholarship, but I don't know what those rules are.

I don't know whether we have a scholarship to spare in football. Look at what kind of help we finally got on the D-Line with the last two we had available this year.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

WyoExpat wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:This IS a BIG DEAL. Reason is that IF he plays football he can count as 1 or 85 or 90 scholorships. And he'd have to count on football if he plays because that sport has more scholorships. Adding one scholorship at the expense of a kid that prob contributes starting day 1 if he played football is worth it
Football gets 85 scholarships. I think there are specific rules about which sport must use the scholarship, but I don't know what those rules are.

I don't know whether we have a scholarship to spare in football. Look at what kind of help we finally got on the D-Line with the last two we had available this year.
The rule is that if a player plays fb and bb that he has to be counted toward a fb scholorship because there are more spots available.

If a girl was talented enough to play soccer and basketball she'd have to be sholorahiped at soccer because they have 25 or whatever and bball has 13
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Coeur d' Alene wrote:If a girl was talented enough to play soccer and basketball she'd have to be sholorahiped at soccer because they have 25 or whatever and bball has 13
Except women's basketball has 15 scholarships and soccer only has 14...