Trib.com Article on Lieberman

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

wyokoke wrote:In each sophomore year, Jeremy has averages 7.9-2.6-3.8 with shooting splits of 34-37-71. Riley averaged 6-1-2.5 with splits of 35-32-74. Jeremy is ahead of where Riley was everywhere besides the charity stripe
That's true, but no disrespect to either Jeremy or Riley, Riley was the weak link among that core group (Nance, Adams, Cooke, Hankerson, and Grabau) defensively and was held in check by athletic teams because he wasn't a threat to get to the rim.

There is nothing wrong with being the next Grabau, but we are going to be in tough shape if we have the next Grabau but not the next Nance alongside him (I am going to say we have our next perimeter scorer already in James, but not our interior).
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

cali2wyo wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:If Lieberman is our point guard, team leader and playing 35 min per games next year we are in trouble. Glad he's gone from abjectly horrendous to borderline MWC player while costing us a few games this season, I guess.
Did he sleep with your daughter or something? I don't get the hostility. Shyatt says he plays like the PG we had that helped us win a conference tournament... how can you not see that as a positive?
Maybe because we have the best guard that I've seen (only closely followed and remember everything the late 80's on) at Wyoming. Lieberman is the guy they've decided to take the ball out of that guys hands for.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:If Lieberman is our point guard, team leader and playing 35 min per games next year we are in trouble. Glad he's gone from abjectly horrendous to borderline MWC player while costing us a few games this season, I guess.
Did he sleep with your daughter or something? I don't get the hostility. Shyatt says he plays like the PG we had that helped us win a conference tournament... how can you not see that as a positive?
Maybe because we have the best guard that I've seen (only closely followed and remember everything the late 80's on) at Wyoming. Lieberman is the guy they've decided to take the ball out of that guys hands for.
Huh?
W-Y, Until I Die!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Huh?
Haha I had the same reply in mind lax, I assume he means Adams? So answer this buddy, if Lieberman is preventing Adams from handling the ball, how many possessions has Josh not touched the ball while he and Lieberman were both on the floor? I'm guessing you'll only need 1 hand to count them all...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote:
laxwyo wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Huh?
Haha I had the same reply in mind lax, I assume he means Adams? So answer this buddy, if Lieberman is preventing Adams from handling the ball, how many possessions has Josh not touched the ball while he and Lieberman were both on the floor? I'm guessing you'll only need 1 hand to count them all...
My exact thoughts too.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowduck
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:
cali2wyo wrote: I also remember hearing when Lieberman signed that his family bought the house of recently fired Dave Christensen, anyone else hear the same?
If so, there is some big $$$$'s in the family. Or is the whole family living in Laramie?
I think the answer to both is yes. I believe they moved out when he started school but I would guess they have some money.
He's from Calabasas. The Kardashians live in Calabasas.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

cali2wyo wrote:
laxwyo wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Huh?
There's no debating someone who thinks Lieberman at pg is a good reason to take the ball out of Adams hands. Adams has unbelievable advantages athleticly against pg's both offensivly and defensively. Sure he has athletic advantages at sg as well, but not as drastic of mismatches as he has as the pg.

I like Lieberman a lot. I think he could fill a mcFall type role. I just don't think it's worth weakening this squad to take the ball out of Josh Adams hands to get this kid opportunities
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
laxwyo wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Huh?
My exact thoughts too.
Both of your exact thoughts are wrong. It does make a difference if a player initiates the offense or if they get the ball midway into the shot clock
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

So, we should just run Adams out there all by himself? He needs a counterpart. You're not taking the ball out of Josh's if liebs is out there. They're suppose to run an offense.
W-Y, Until I Die!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Beings how Adams plays 40 minutes a game if at all possible, he can't play solid defense, and run the point the ENTIRE game and not get tired, not as aggressive as he is.

As much as I love the guy, he is human and he does, in fact, need to get the ball out of his hands from time to time. Some of his passes lately have been god awful because he's trying to do too much.

A good jog up the court to rest his legs and mind doesn't hurt every now and again.
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

It didn't work in LA when Kobe was trying to do everything, they lost and he would get frustrated because he was everywhere on the court and had high scoring nights. Its a team sport, Josh has got to "pull" the other players "up" distribute the ball well and when he has a clear shot or a lane to crash through take it. Sometimes Josh will pull up a contested shot within the first five seconds of the play clock, not needed. Lieberman has really played a lot better these past games and is shooting better. I like Liebs on the point and Josh running around like the Tasmanian Devil causing Defenses hell. Lies has no problem passing the ball. If JMac, Adams and Lieberman can drill outside shots and Herndon, Barnes and Naughton can dominate inside, we can beat anyone or be extremely competitive.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

davidwyo wrote:It didn't work in LA when Kobe was trying to do everything, they lost and he would get frustrated because he was everywhere on the court and had high scoring nights. Its a team sport, Josh has got to "pull" the other players "up" distribute the ball well and when he has a clear shot or a lane to crash through take it. Sometimes Josh will pull up a contested shot within the first five seconds of the play clock, not needed. Lieberman has really played a lot better these past games and is shooting better. I like Liebs on the point and Josh running around like the Tasmanian Devil causing Defenses hell. Lies has no problem passing the ball. If JMac, Adams and Lieberman can drill outside shots and Herndon, Barnes and Naughton can dominate inside, we can beat anyone or be extremely competitive.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Ridiculous and unfounded negative commentary on JL. He's in the running for most improved player on the roster this season. He's getting better all the time.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Yabadabadoo wrote: He's getting better all the time.
Many would say that that is the only direction he could go.
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

Lieberman next year will play at least as good as JMac this year and everyone on this board would be extremely happy. A ton of confidence going into his Junior year and finally becoming that high scoring shooter he was in high school, which is one of the big reasons Shyatt offered a scholly.
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

Yabadabadoo wrote:Ridiculous and unfounded negative commentary on JL. He's in the running for most improved player on the roster this season. He's getting better all the time.
Yaba, spot on. There are people on here that have absolutely no reason to be debating players, let alone talking sports. I don't know everything....and never claimed to know.....but some of you are absolutely on the city league 3rd grade level of understanding basketball, or football.

Lieberman is ahead of Grabau on every level at the same time of career, except pt. Grabau had to play that many minutes because we didn't have another Adams or Washington to take away minutes. Now that JL is "the guy", he will only get better. I'd put money on it that JL will have better stats on everything but Free-throw % by the time he is done. JL will figure out the assist/turnover thing quickly, give him time.
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

Amen Wiley
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

wiley wapiti wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:Ridiculous and unfounded negative commentary on JL. He's in the running for most improved player on the roster this season. He's getting better all the time.
Yaba, spot on. There are people on here that have absolutely no reason to be debating players, let alone talking sports. I don't know everything....and never claimed to know.....but some of you are absolutely on the city league 3rd grade level of understanding basketball, or football.

Lieberman is ahead of Grabau on every level at the same time of career, except pt. Grabau had to play that many minutes because we didn't have another Adams or Washington to take away minutes. Now that JL is "the guy", he will only get better. I'd put money on it that JL will have better stats on everything but Free-throw % by the time he is done. JL will figure out the assist/turnover thing quickly, give him time.
The fact that some people are saying JL might have a slightly better career arc that RG and are super psyched shows me that some people don't have an understanding of the caliber of player it takes to be near the top in this conference.
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke, take a look at what you wrote.....seriously, last time I looked the Cowboys won the MWC Tourney with Grabau at the point. He wasn't flashy or athletic, but he was consistent, had a steady hand and was one of the best free throw shooters in the country. It seems you want every player to be just pure athletic, and athletic alone won't win - a high basketball IQ is important. Larry Bird, Steve Nash, not flashy guys who could throw down a dunk, but they knew their weaknesses.

And quit being a Negative Nancy on Lieberman - trying be a little more "Objective" rather than :tickedoff:
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote:
wiley wapiti wrote:

The fact that some people are saying JL might have a slightly better career arc that RG and are super psyched shows me that some people don't have an understanding of the caliber of player it takes to be near the top in this conference.
So, you're telling me that you think Grabau was more athletic than JL? Lander, I agree on somethings about football, but you're drinking way too much cough syrup if you think Grabau is more athletic than JL. Grabau couldn't get his own shot off unless his defender fell down or was 10 feet off. I've seen JL take his guy off the dribble more than once in the last few games. This is something Grabau was never able to do...Grabau was a great game manager, free-throw shooter and floor leader, but athletic was not Grabau.