Cory Calvert

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowduck
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote:Got this off of the BYU board about Calvert.

Anacondas
All-American
That's not his plan

On the Coach Rose show last week, Coach Rose mentioned that Cory's plan is to go home after this past semester and work out with his high school coach. Then he'll plan to enroll at a school next Fall and redshirt. Then he'll have 2 years to play a full 2 seasons. If he goes to another school right now then he'll only play another 1.5 seasons.

So if he did come to Wyoming he would be red shirting next year it sounds like which would mean there would be more scholarships available the year after. Plus JMac and Morris Marshall would be gone. Cory would be a red shirt Junior that year and be a mature 23 years old I believe? I could see where Shyatt would like that plus they already recruited him and his connection to Adams I think there is a good chance this might happen.
Yes, and would you rather that scholarship go to this BYU flameout (and only have him for two years) or Hunter Thompson, Parker Stewart, Samuta Avea, etc. and have them for four? This is not a hard call to me.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Cowduck wrote:

Anacondas
All-American
That's not his plan

On the Coach Rose show last week, Coach Rose mentioned that Cory's plan is to go home after this past semester and work out with his high school coach. Then he'll plan to enroll at a school next Fall and redshirt. Then he'll have 2 years to play a full 2 seasons. If he goes to another school right now then he'll only play another 1.5 seasons.

So if he did come to Wyoming he would be red shirting next year it sounds like which would mean there would be more scholarships available the year after. Plus JMac and Morris Marshall would be gone. Cory would be a red shirt Junior that year and be a mature 23 years old I believe? I could see where Shyatt would like that plus they already recruited him and his connection to Adams I think there is a good chance this might happen.
Yes, and would you rather that scholarship go to this BYU flameout (and only have him for two years) or Hunter Thompson, Parker Stewart, Samuta Avea, etc. and have them for four? This is not a hard call to me.
I think thompson and stewart would be awesome to bring in together to replace the 2 scholarships lost to graduation (mcmanamen and marshall) but if there's any attrition, this guy seems like a pretty solid option given our limited pool of potential transfer targets
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Cowduck wrote:

Anacondas
All-American
That's not his plan

I actually think we need a big man not a guard. So out of all those you mentioned I would rather grab Hunter Thompson than any of the rest of them. I could care less if the guy went to BYU or not as long as he can help the team. Since Cory isn't a big guy though then he isn't what we should be looking for.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

Yes "castlerocker" I currently live in Utah but am a true UW fan.

I did talk to Josh Adams about this and he commented that he is great friends with Cory but wants him to choose UW b/c it is best for Cory.

Might I remind some of you that Marcus Bailey is Mormon as well as other former UW players. It shouldn't matter as long as the guy can play.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

thirtyseven wrote:Yes "castlerocker" I currently live in Utah but am a true UW fan.

I did talk to Josh Adams about this and he commented that he is great friends with Cory but wants him to choose UW b/c it is best for Cory.

Might I remind some of you that Marcus Bailey is Mormon as well as other former UW players. It shouldn't matter as long as the guy can play.
Whoa thirty-seven - nobody said anything about Mormon - just bywho.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

If you don't recruit Calvert you open yourself up to being caught with your wang in your hand. If there's guard attrition and Calvert goes somewhere else, we look like idiots.

We need to recruit Cory. He's an older guard. We need experience on this team and he brings that. Yes, he hasn't been in Shy's system, but he's talented and he's older. He would be a great addition if we lost a guard this year.

I hope Cory doesn't listen to all the anti-BYU hate. He's leaving BYU. You can't hold it against him after he made the right decision. He doesn't like what BYU had to offer or he would still be there. That's enough for me to forgive his initial decision to attend BYU. At least he has seen the light and decided to leave Utardia.

It would be stupid not to recruit Cory. Our staff isn't stupid.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote:If you don't recruit Calvert you open yourself up to being caught with your wang in your hand. If there's guard attrition and Calvert goes somewhere else, we look like idiots.

We need to recruit Cory. He's an older guard. We need experience on this team and he brings that. Yes, he hasn't been in Shy's system, but he's talented and he's older. He would be a great addition if we lost a guard this year.

I hope Cory doesn't listen to all the anti-BYU hate. He's leaving BYU. You can't hold it against him after he made the right decision. He doesn't like what BYU had to offer or he would still be there. That's enough for me to forgive his initial decision to attend BYU. At least he has seen the light and decided to leave Utardia.

It would be stupid not to recruit Cory. Our staff isn't stupid.
It would be stupid to not kick the tires on him, but it would be stupid to extend him a scholly with the expectation of attrition. We have no need for a point right now. We have IMMEDIATE need for a serviceable big.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Looking through our scholarship offers and see we offered a kid named Dallas Walton. Dallas is 6'10" ,175 pounds.

To put that into perspective, Alan Herndon is 6'9" 210 & Hayden Dalton is 6'8" 185 pounds.

That's blowing my mind.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

He would never make it in Wyoming unless you anchor him down with some lead weights
W-Y, Until I Die!
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

7'6" 184lbs....seems like our type of project

Hahaha
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

kdwrightuwyo wrote:Image

7'6" 184lbs....seems like our type of project

Hahaha

Keeping with the BYU theme. That must be Shawn Bradley's son :lol:

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….