New Bottom 10

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

We are holding strong at No. 3. Mountain West is well represented. And Eastern Michigan is also on the list....with their lone win of course being having manhandled us.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -bottom-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snowsailor
Buckaroo

So embarrassing. This stuff is truly damaging. Recruits see this kind of stuff and it makes it hard to bounce back from. This type of stuff could be the nail in the coffin on what is UW football.
BringBackStutzriem
Buckaroo

Hate to say it, but we're lucky we're not at #1 because we've been off the author's radar (I'm pretty certain he hasn't watched a single play of UW's season). We didn't even enter the Bottom 10 until after the Washington State loss, despite two blowout losses to North Dakota and Eastern Michigan, who was ranked in the Bottom 10 prior to beating us.

If the author didn't have New Mexico State in his crosshairs from the get-go, I think we'd be down at the bottom. In any case, it's not good. In '02 we did salvage that Air Force win, though, so maybe we've still got one good game in us.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Still number 128 in this rankings.....
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... gs/cbs/128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

It will be hard to beat out KU, those guys are going through something worse than the Koenning years.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

kansasCowboy wrote:It will be hard to beat out KU, those guys are going through something worse than the Koenning years.
Except for Kansas is and always will be a basketball school, so no matter how bad the football team is, the basketball team is what will get the fans frenzied.
We could be the same, but for some reason or another, folks don't seem to care much for basketball around here, but by grumpy we'll reminisce fondly of a foregone era 40 or 50 years ago when football was relevant.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Don't seem to care much about basketball? Packed out the arenas in Vegas and Seattle last spring.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

But we notably cannot even pack the downsized AA gym. That smacks of disinterest to me.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:Don't seem to care much about basketball? Packed out the arenas in Vegas and Seattle last spring.
I will give credit where credit is due, the Wyo crowd at the Thomas and Mack for the MWC Tourney was spectacular indeed. As for Seattle I can't really say as I wasn't there, however from what I could see on TV it looked like the Wyo fans were mainly in one section and at least from the TV perspective didn't seem like there were too many there, not wanting to disregard if it was indeed a large contingent tho.

My main gripe is essentially due to the fact that Shyatt himself has been on record wondering why fans wouldn't come out for our home games. We all saw how empty the lower bowl was last year for a large portion of the games, although we did have some decent showings in conference play as we usually do. We broke the 10,000 attendance barrier once, at 10,167 in the overtime thriller with new mexico, otherwise we had a lot of pedestrian attendance numbers, but somehow we can draw 18,000 plus everytime our football team lays a giant turd all over jonah field at war memorial stadium. This is what causes me to scratch my head, especially since the basketball program is the program with the most potential to build, and maintain, a perennial conference championship contender and have relevance at the national level; if the fans, and more importantly the higher ups in administration, would just get behind them with a full head of steam.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

FarmerPoke wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Don't seem to care much about basketball? Packed out the arenas in Vegas and Seattle last spring.
I will give credit where credit is due, the Wyo crowd at the Thomas and Mack for the MWC Tourney was spectacular indeed. As for Seattle I can't really say as I wasn't there, however from what I could see on TV it looked like the Wyo fans were mainly in one section and at least from the TV perspective didn't seem like there were too many there, not wanting to disregard if it was indeed a large contingent tho.

My main gripe is essentially due to the fact that Shyatt himself has been on record wondering why fans wouldn't come out for our home games. We all saw how empty the lower bowl was last year for a large portion of the games, although we did have some decent showings in conference play as we usually do. We broke the 10,000 attendance barrier once, at 10,167 in the overtime thriller with new mexico, otherwise we had a lot of pedestrian attendance numbers, but somehow we can draw 18,000 plus everytime our football team lays a giant turd all over jonah field at war memorial stadium. This is what causes me to scratch my head, especially since the basketball program is the program with the most potential to build, and maintain, a perennial conference championship contender and have relevance at the national level; if the fans, and more importantly the higher ups in administration, would just get behind them with a full head of steam.
Football is way more popular in general and the BB program is still recovering from Schroyer. If we are decent at all I bet we have some big crowds this BB season. If we can ever get to the level of contending late in the season for a REGULAR season conference crown you will see the place sold out.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

One good year and an NCAA birth doesn't equate to KUs success in the gym. When ("WHEN") we get to multiple NCAA tourney runs and the fans start coming in droves, we will be able to compare. A one hit wonder won't make fans come. Remember late 90's early 00's each year of success made our attendance grow significantly more than the year before.
Again, something that takes "time".

But trust me. We all should be thankful right now that we are not in KUs shoes... For football.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

A good lesson to be careful what you wish for. Kansas players and administration wanted Mark Mangino gone because he yelled at the poor baby players. Now look at the program.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

To think that in 2007, KU went 12-1, beat Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl and finished the season ranked #7.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

kansasCowboy wrote:One good year and an NCAA birth doesn't equate to KUs success in the gym. When ("WHEN") we get to multiple NCAA tourney runs and the fans start coming in droves, we will be able to compare. A one hit wonder won't make fans come. Remember late 90's early 00's each year of success made our attendance grow significantly more than the year before.
Again, something that takes "time".

But trust me. We all should be thankful right now that we are not in KUs shoes... For football.
Truly agreed, and was not at all intending to come across as equating the guys success last year as comparable to the jayhawks on the hardwood. I simply was saying that KU is a "basketball school" which I don't think anyone would deny, while we cling to the notion that we can be a football school. Obviously it would take a lot of years to get anywhere near to even sniffing KU's status in basketball, but it can't even begin to happen if people don't get behind our basketball team, which goes back to my original gripe.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Basketball still has not recovered from Schroyer. Will take a couple years of meaningful winning to change that. Football will always be more popular because it is an all day event, and games are more fan friendly for start times and travel. You could make the argument that an 0-12 season could have a big impact on te fan base. I just believe a fan base gets revitalized easier by a coaching hire in football when compared to bball.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

WyoExpat wrote:But we notably cannot even pack the downsized AA gym. That smacks of disinterest to me.
Attendance is certainly improving in basketball and I would not say that failure to pack the AA for all games shows disinterest. Many games have poor start times and often times terrible travel conditions. I will never fault a fan for failing to drive to Laramie for a Tuesday night game with icy roads.
BringBackStutzriem
Buckaroo

WestWYOPoke wrote:To think that in 2007, KU went 12-1, beat Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl and finished the season ranked #7.
Sometimes personnel just clicks. Aqib Talib and Chris Harris Jr. at the corners. Now, they're the bookends of the best defense in the NFL. Both were completely overlooked players. Diamonds in the rough: it's Wyoming's best shot - in fact, our only shot - at getting back to a competitive level. Unfortunately, they're damn hard to find and everyone is looking.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

BringBackStutzriem wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:To think that in 2007, KU went 12-1, beat Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl and finished the season ranked #7.
Sometimes personnel just clicks. Aqib Talib and Chris Harris Jr. at the corners. Now, they're the bookends of the best defense in the NFL. Both were completely overlooked players. Diamonds in the rough: it's Wyoming's best shot - in fact, our only shot - at getting back to a competitive level. Unfortunately, they're damn hard to find and everyone is looking.
Another random fact: Je'Ney Jackson was the Cornerbacks coach for those guys at KU.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

snowsailor wrote:So embarrassing. This stuff is truly damaging. Recruits see this kind of stuff and it makes it hard to bounce back from. This type of stuff could be the nail in the coffin on what is UW football.
Disagree...this early in the tenure, Bohl can still sell his championships, new direction, and great opportunities to start.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

kansasCowboy wrote:It will be hard to beat out KU, those guys are going through something worse than the Koenning years.
Agree. For a Big Six school, Kansas is absolutely awful. They've been a punching bag for several years now, and it does not appear their situation will improve.

I disagree with Tennessee and Arkansas on the list. Both teams are not among the worst ten in the land. They could beat a good number of teams. The SEC is still the tough conference its reputation provides.