Surprise?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Remember, we all winners for even taking the field today. For the next decade, any improvement, no matter how minor, is a victory. The scoreboard doesn't matter because we can always find an example of some team who struggled then ended up successful which means we will to as long as we make any improvement be it small or large.
Happy Hour come a little earlier today? :D
:D there are certain preparations which I find extremely necessary this year.
My Man! :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
cougfan
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:
McPeachy wrote:I will be surprised if we end the game within 35 points. I will be pleasantly surprised if we finish it within 21 points. I will mud my pants if we finish it with a W.
If you remember back to the heath schroyer days, we got so bad that teams started taking us for granted. The lines were enormous and we started covering some of them. That could happen here. This is a lower tier pac 12 team that with our normal average to lousy team, we could beat. So it would not surprise me if covered the 24.
Good point. I just don't have a good feeling about this one - probably because it is the first road test with our true freshman team of true freshman.
Man you nailed it on the head. WSU has been fighting that problem since Leach arrived. The talent level when Leach showed up was so low it was just unimaginable. I cannot even describe to you how bad it was. WSU had 6 lineman on scholarship and they averaged like 270lbs, now they have 19 and are all 6 4 to 6 8 and only a RS freshman is less than 3 bills. It has taken him, now his 4th recruiting class to completely backfill this roster with FBS talent. Plus are only 2 players left from the last staff's last class, kind of gives you an idea. For example last season's 3 year starting MLB was beat out by a RS frosh in game 4. He transferred to Akron and could not even make the 2 deeps this year as a senior transfer, goodness.

Each new class has been better than the previous and WSU has had to play kids in 20102, 2013, 2014, who where not ready, like Bohl is having to do right now. It was 20 true frosh in 2012, 13 true frosh in 2013, and 13 in 2014. This year only 2 WR, a FS, a LB and a CB True frosh are in the 2 deep. They are there because they are that talented not out of necessity.

I still to this day have absolutely no clue how this team lost to PSU, the one that played Rutgers would have dropped 60 on them. I was at both games and felt like I was in the Bermuda Triangle. This is by far Leach's best team on paper and we are all hoping that the Rutgers game was the game that lights the fire for this program.

My 2 cents.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

cougfan wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:
McPeachy wrote:I will be surprised if we end the game within 35 points. I will be pleasantly surprised if we finish it within 21 points. I will mud my pants if we finish it with a W.
If you remember back to the heath schroyer days, we got so bad that teams started taking us for granted. The lines were enormous and we started covering some of them. That could happen here. This is a lower tier pac 12 team that with our normal average to lousy team, we could beat. So it would not surprise me if covered the 24.
Good point. I just don't have a good feeling about this one - probably because it is the first road test with our true freshman team of true freshman.
Man you nailed it on the head. WSU has been fighting that problem since Leach arrived. The talent level when Leach showed up was so low it was just unimaginable. I cannot even describe to you how bad it was. WSU had 6 lineman on scholarship and they averaged like 270lbs, now they have 19 and are all 6 4 to 6 8 and only a RS freshman is less than 3 bills. It has taken him, now his 4th recruiting class to completely backfill this roster with FBS talent. Plus are only 2 players left from the last staff's last class, kind of gives you an idea. For example last season's 3 year starting MLB was beat out by a RS frosh in game 4. He transferred to Akron and could not even make the 2 deeps this year as a senior transfer, goodness.

Each new class has been better than the previous and WSU has had to play kids in 20102, 2013, 2014, who where not ready, like Bohl is having to do right now. It was 20 true frosh in 2012, 13 true frosh in 2013, and 13 in 2014. This year only 2 WR, a FS, a LB and a CB True frosh are in the 2 deep. They are there because they are that talented not out of necessity.

I still to this day have absolutely no clue how this team lost to PSU, the one that played Rutgers would have dropped 60 on them. I was at both games and felt like I was in the Bermuda Triangle. This is by far Leach's best team on paper and we are all hoping that the Rutgers game was the game that lights the fire for this program.

My 2 cents.
It's not like Rutgers is exactly a powerhouse.
cougfan
Buckaroo

They went 8-5 in the Big 10 in their first season and returned pretty much the entire team until they decided to go on a robbery and beating spree over the summer. I thought their QB was better than last season, their RB were far better as they had 3 thumpers not just one. Unless their defense does not have almost all their starters in prison at game time last week that was going to be a tough win, it still was a hard win.

It has been 11 years of really crappy football at WSU and the team who played last week, was truly Leach's team for the first time since has been here. There was horrible dissention in the locker room last year I guess with the last staffs players being benched and it showed in all of their games. They would be in them, then just roll over and die when any adversity hit. Last week 1:18 to go 90 yards in a driving rainstorm, was pretty dang amazing to see live.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I'm not gonna say that Rutgers is a crappy team, BUT their 2014 wins weren't anything special; outside of Wazzu they beat: Howard, Navy, Tulane, Michigan (barely), Indiana and Maryland. Their best win was arguably against North Carolina in the bowl game. Again, they aren't terrible, but I would put them ~#8 or #9 in the B1G.

Having said that, I expect Leach's offense to have a field day against Wyo and - unfortunately - win comfortably.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Remember, we all winners for even taking the field today. For the next decade, any improvement, no matter how minor, is a victory. The scoreboard doesn't matter because we can always find an example of some team who struggled then ended up successful which means we will to as long as we make any improvement be it small or large.
The sarcasm is dripping down my screen...lol
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

yopaulie wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:There is zero chance Wyoming wins this game. Zero. None. Nada. Bupkis.
We are playing a team that lost to Portland State, who was 3-9 in FCS last year. I think that makes it possible, although still highly unlikely.
We don't play 1-AA teams close, we get curb stomped by them so the Portland State thing doesn't make me feel fuzzy.

I get your optimism and it's probably necessary, but I wouldn't make a handshake bet on us even covering this one.

Hope I'm wrong. I'll just check the box score on Sunday so as not to ruin my buzz on Saturday.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

HiCountryCowboy wrote:
yopaulie wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:There is zero chance Wyoming wins this game. Zero. None. Nada. Bupkis.
We are playing a team that lost to Portland State, who was 3-9 in FCS last year. I think that makes it possible, although still highly unlikely.
We don't play 1-AA teams close, we get curb stomped by them so the Portland State thing doesn't make me feel fuzzy.

I get your optimism and it's probably necessary, but I wouldn't make a handshake bet on us even covering this one.

Hope I'm wrong. I'll just check the box score on Sunday so as not to ruin my buzz on Saturday.
Unfortunately, a line of -24 is reasonable given how we've played. Optimistic is probably keeping it within 10.

Makes me curious... What is the biggest point spread underdog victory in the college ranks?
snowsailor
Buckaroo

prediction:

Wyoming 6
WSU 44
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

yopaulie wrote:

Makes me curious... What is the biggest point spread underdog victory in the college ranks?
Stanford was a 42 point dog to USC in 2007.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

These guys blow too. I say we run right over them, but I also believe they'll pass right though us. I say we cover the spread and if our D can get a couple turn overs, we win the game.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

cowboyz wrote:These guys blow too. I say we run right over them, but I also believe they'll pass right though us. I say we cover the spread and if our D can get a couple turn overs, we win the game.
Please share what you're smoking.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

bladerunnr wrote:
cowboyz wrote:These guys blow too. I say we run right over them, but I also believe they'll pass right though us. I say we cover the spread and if our D can get a couple turn overs, we win the game.
Please share what you're smoking.
Must be some of that Amnesia Haze.
LetElpinerBuck
Buckaroo

I'm hoping for a miracle...