SDSU to drop football program??

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

I just saw this:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/rumors/po ... caaf,47841

anyone else hear about it?

If this would happen, what do you think we would do as a conference to find a university that is competitive enough in all sports to be considered for the MWC??
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Boise would be the first choice, anyone else? None come to mind.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 36 times

I would be VERY shocked if the Aztecs dropped football. They're competitive (some years) in football and most MWC sports.. dropping to Div. 1-AA isn't going to help them. They play in a gigantic stadium, they have the right financial backing, I'm sure. It just seems really silly. Abolishing football at SDSU would be a huge mistake.
ImageImageImageImage
dapokes
Ranch Hand

I've heard its more about the Chargers wanting a new stadium...it seems like the community isn't all behind the aztecs and care more about the what the chargers want.

I don't know if Boise is competitive enough in all sports to challenge the MWC..but if the conference drops down to 8...do we just go ahead and add 2 more teams to make it 10? Possibly UNR..due to the rivalry with UNLV...and maybe New Mexico St. because that assures UNM a rival in conference...

what would you guys think of that?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I think we take a step backwards if we add NMSU. They've yet to be competitive in any sport since joining the WAC. UNR brings a good basketball program, as well as a decent football program. I say bring on Montana! Bring on Boise! They're a better geographic fit anyways. I just can't see SDSU dropping football.. I think it's a lot of nothing right now. The Chargers may not get a new stadium if they keep this losing up.
ImageImageImageImage
dapokes
Ranch Hand

I know that NMSt's football isn't high quality, but isn't there basketball program pretty good? Didn't they go dancing the past couple of years?? Idk, just a thought.
Do you really think that Montana's other sports would be near the level of the MWC? Same with Boise.
I'm thinking that Fresno St. may be a better replacement...
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

This is even more depressing after Saturday.,... MAN I HATE LOSING STREAKS!!

GO POKES!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Anyone else see the rumors kicking about that Air Force could be leaving the MWC to go independent?
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:Anyone else see the ors kicking about that Air Force could be leaving the MWC to go independent?
Really???? :?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

J-Rod wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:Anyone else see the rumors kicking about that Air Force could be leaving the MWC to go independent?
Really???? :?
Cowboy Blitz had something about it posted last week.. pretty much the same thing that Army, Navy, and Notre Dame have done.. the big three on AFA's schedule every year. It would make sense in that respect, but to drop out of the MWC would be dumb.. very dumb. They'd lose too much.
ImageImageImageImage
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

That would suck.. I love the tradition of playing AFA

GO POKES!!
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Just because they wouldn't be in the MWC anymore doesn't mean they wouldn't get to play Wyoming just about every season. Notre Dame plays essentially the same schedule each year while being an independent, and if this was to happen, I don't see AFA paying big bucks to travel all over the nation to play other opponents when they could just play the teams "of their choice" right here in Mid-West/Western regions. The only downside to becoming an independent is the loss of conference revenue when teams play in bowl games. The only way I see them leaving the MWC is if they get a sweet TV deal and a sweet BCS exemption (a la ND, which is about the worst rule in the whole BCS). Since they are a service academy, and athletics are about 10th on their list of priorities, I really don't see either of those two happening. The AFA isn't going anywhere.