Some Fresnecks already talking smack

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

yoda u will be shocked to see how hard our team plays and that they will come through in tough situations because our kids our tough we may not win this game and we might win this game but regardless the MWC is stronger than the WAC and typically we have more than 5 bowl eligible team... DC has our team on the rise and if we meet in the future i would say we will be the ones complaining
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

My my Yoda, that is an awefully long post for someone who doesn't care about this bowl game.

Put something besides food where your mouth is. I'll take your 20 points for ANYTHING you want to wager. ANYTHING!
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
Yoda
Buckaroo

gopokes1399 wrote:yoda u will be shocked to see how hard our team plays and that they will come through in tough situations because our kids our tough we may not win this game and we might win this game but regardless the MWC is stronger than the WAC and typically we have more than 5 bowl eligible team... DC has our team on the rise and if we meet in the future i would say we will be the ones complaining
I'm not arguing with you. I'm not agreeing with your last point, but I'm not arguing.

My point wasn't to do smack but to explain some of the things that you may have read on the MWC board in a more reasoned and less passionate way.

Enjoy the next two weeks!

Yoda out...
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

Sorry Yoda, I see where you are going, but your statistics are extremely misleading as you played six teams that probably wouldn't have won a game against a MWC schedule. I can't prove it, but I would guess that the MWC's bottom two, CSU and UNM, would do pretty well against the likes of San Jose State, New Mexico State (yes, I know UNM barely lost to the Aggies), Utah State, La. Tech and Illinois. In fact, I would bet that CSU would run the table against those teams. I'm sure you remember who CSU is. Additionally, is UC Davis even FCS? The fact that you have five gimme games each year, if you want to include Hawaii mainland games, they seem to be pretty decent on the islands, even Nevada and Idaho's won-loss record seems a little suspect.
Meanwhile, we played what has been documented in the media as the eighth toughest schedule in the nation and we were one of only eight teams in the nation to play two top five teams. Your statistical comparisons are hardly against equal caliber teams.
Yoda
Buckaroo

Cheywypoke wrote:Sorry Yoda, I see where you are going, but your statistics are extremely misleading as you played six teams that probably wouldn't have won a game against a MWC schedule. I can't prove it, but I would guess that the MWC's bottom two, CSU and UNM, would do pretty well against the likes of San Jose State, New Mexico State (yes, I know UNM barely lost to the Aggies), Utah State, La. Tech and Illinois. In fact, I would bet that CSU would run the table against those teams. I'm sure you remember who CSU is. Additionally, is UC Davis even FCS? The fact that you have five gimme games each year, if you want to include Hawaii mainland games, they seem to be pretty decent on the islands, even Nevada and Idaho's won-loss record seems a little suspect.

Meanwhile, we played what has been documented in the media as the eighth toughest schedule in the nation and we were one of only eight teams in the nation to play two top five teams. Your statistical comparisons are hardly against equal caliber teams.
The problem with that is that the MWC is as bad as the WAC is at the bottom -- five of your nine teams are ranked #94 or worse in Sagarin -- only four of ours are (although we have a couple more in the 80s). You've gotten stronger at the top than you were a few years ago. But one of the reasons for that is that you've gotten weaker at the bottom. A couple of years ago, iirc, you had one team ranked lower than #70. Something like that.

We also played a tough schedule, including two of the top six in the BCS and #25 as well. Your SOS is slightly higher than ours -- but not much and not enough to account for the wide variation in stats.

As for the CSU game last year, recall that we had more than 40% of our team out injured for that game. We were only traveling 53 players by season's end.

Incidentally, we opened for the NM bowl as a 10/11 point favorite. So my 20-30 point prediction is a bigger leap than I was expecting. I expected about an 18 point betting difference...

Yoda out...
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

Worst team in the MWC -- CSU -- beat Nevada who beat Fresno. Every team in the MWC beat CSU. On the other hand, Fresno beat Idaho who beat CSU this season. Add it all up and it says Fresno is on par with the worst team in the MWC who coincidentally beat Fresno last season. Quote computer rankings all you want (you must have typed Sagarin at least 100 times in the last 3 or 4 days) but this has been decided on the field.
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Gosh, Yoda. Your stats sure indicate that the Pokes are no match. Why don't we just play till FS gets a 50 point lead, then shake hands and call the game. Then we can all go out and have beers - probably before the scheduled half-time.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

After it is all said, and before it is ever done...

I am going to get loaded with a huge bunch of WYO fans, and raise some hell...COWBOY style...in Albequerque! GO POKES!!!!!

The win will make my 4 day binge hangover fade away nicely! :D
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Yoda
Buckaroo

Dread_Pirate_Cowboy wrote:Worst team in the MWC -- CSU -- beat Nevada who beat Fresno. Every team in the MWC beat CSU. On the other hand, Fresno beat Idaho who beat CSU this season. Add it all up and it says Fresno is on par with the worst team in the MWC who coincidentally beat Fresno last season. Quote computer rankings all you want (you must have typed Sagarin at least 100 times in the last 3 or 4 days) but this has been decided on the field.
Just recognize that I draw a distinction between "on paper" and in real life.

The only reason that I quote Sagarin so often is that it is, to my knowledge, the only "objective" view of so many teams that has it's last 10 years or so results available on line. So you can use it to get trending over time. For example, the comment that your have 5 teams rated #94 and lower vs. only one team below #70 a few years back is important information. Is there another source out there that gives you access to so many teams over so long a period of time? I'd be happy to use it instead -- I have no particular loyalty to one computer ranking system over any other. It's purely a quantity of available data decision.

Yoda out...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Hey, Yoda....

I posted on the MWC board as OKC Poke years ago. Haven't been on in over a year. Is RebelRobert still on there yakking how it's only a matter time before the PAC-10 expands with UNLV and Nevada? :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Yoda
Buckaroo

Wyokie wrote:Hey, Yoda....

I posted on the MWC board as OKC Poke years ago. Haven't been on in over a year. Is RebelRobert still on there yakking how it's only a matter time before the PAC-10 expands with UNLV and Nevada? :roll:
Sure, I remember you...

RR's still there but now days he's mostly talking about getting one or another of UNLV's coaches fired for not being good enough -- and nobody ever is. He might like the basketball coach -- I don't remember as I try not to read him very often. I mean it's hard to read another know it all. LOL...

So why did you leave that board? My sense is that the board has devolved into mostly a smack board. Unmoderated boards often do. I've made the claim that many of the long time posters have been driven off by it but can't say for sure why so many have left. They so rarely tell me. LOL...

Anyway, take care.

Yoda out...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

Yoda wrote:So why did you leave that board? My sense is that the board has devolved into mostly a smack board. Unmoderated boards often do. I've made the claim that many of the long time posters have been driven off by it but can't say for sure why so many have left. They so rarely tell me. LOL...
THAT'S why I left. Too many retards on there. They're good for a laugh once in a while but after a while, it got to the point of why bother going there.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Yoda,

What the hell are you doing over here? You already piss off enough ppl on the MWC board. Go away

Sincerely,

cowboyfromhell
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

dapokes wrote:Yoda,

What the hell are you doing over here? You already piss off enough ppl on the MWC board. Go away

Sincerely,

cowboyfromhell
His tone here is significantly more civil than on the MWC boards. As far as trolls go, he seems pretty tame.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 106 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:

Sincerely,

cowboyfromhell
His tone here is significantly more civil than on the MWC boards. As far as trolls go, he seems pretty tame.
I wouldn't say he is trolling over here (MWC board is a different story). We have fans from different teams that come to discuss games we play against their teams. I for one welcome Fresno fans onto our board for discussion on the upcoming bowl game.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WYO1016 wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:

Sincerely,

cowboyfromhell
I wouldn't say he is trolling over here (MWC board is a different story). We have fans from different teams that come to discuss games we play against their teams. I for one welcome Fresno fans onto our board for discussion on the upcoming bowl game.
That was kind of my point. I guess it didn't quite come across as I wanted it to, though ;)
Oh well, to err is human. At least I didn't pull a Tiger.
Yoda
Buckaroo

The fact of the matter is, I would be much more civil over there if that was really an option. But it's an unmoderated smack board. An outsider like me can't utter a word that does not glorify the MWC and praise it to the heavens without some idiot going on the attack. I don't walk away when they do but defend my school and my conference the best that I can -- which only makes it worse.

I come to message boards to learn and to educate. Everything else is BS.

Anyway, I don't enter into spitting contests very often at all on school boards as I feel a particular responsibility to not poop on the carpet of my hosts. So I think you will find me a reasonable visitor for the next few weeks.

Yoda out...
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 106 times

Yoda wrote:The fact of the matter is, I would be much more civil over there if that was really an option. But it's an unmoderated smack board. An outsider like me can't utter a word that does not glorify the MWC and praise it to the heavens without some idiot going on the attack. I don't walk away when they do but defend my school and my conference the best that I can -- which only makes it worse.

Anyway, I don't enter into spitting contests very often at all on school boards as I feel a particular responsibility to not poop on the carpet of my hosts. So I think you will find me a reasonable visitor for the next few weeks.

Yoda out...
Works for me. Glad you're here.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Yoda wrote:The fact of the matter is, I would be much more civil over there if that was really an option. But it's an unmoderated smack board. An outsider like me can't utter a word that does not glorify the MWC and praise it to the heavens without some idiot going on the attack. I don't walk away when they do but defend my school and my conference the best that I can -- which only makes it worse.

Yoda out...
K, good to know you only poop on the MWC's carpet on that board. Oh boy, do you poop on that carpet a lot or what? Just stick to Fresno topics on here and I have no problem. I only have a problem with you when you pop up on random threads to make yourself feel a little more important *AKA TROLL*. Please don't do that sh*t over here.

cowboyfromhell
Yoda
Buckaroo

dapokes wrote:K, good to know you only poop on the MWC's carpet on that board. Oh boy, do you poop on that carpet a lot or what? Just stick to Fresno topics on here and I have no problem. I only have a problem with you when you pop up on random threads to make yourself feel a little more important *AKA TROLL*. Please don't do that sh*t over here.

cowboyfromhell
I don't want to debate it with you but I most certainly do not "pop up on random threads to make myself feel a little more important *AKA TROLL*." I don't consider myself a troll in any way, shape or form -- although occasional bad attempts at humor might reasonably be construed as such. I rarely start a thread that isn't about the MWC or some "thing" that I've learned that I think would be of interest. In fact, utenation ran a poll one time asking who was the bigger troll and he lost. (As smack-driven posters have continued to drive off content-driven ones, however, I think he'd win now -- probably in a landslide.)

Yoda out...