GTS - WYOMING vs. North Dakota

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
braves84
Buckaroo

Gotta agree with ragtime with everything he said und's defense is to good to let the pokes run to wild
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 115 times

28 - 17 Pokes

We're not a very good football team yet, and the first game is going to have a LOT of growing pains because of how young our team is.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 123 times

CowboyNV wrote:Pokes 38 - 13, no problems at all as they control the clock with a potent running attack. Wick and Hill should both have 100+ rushing yards and Coffman throws for 200+ in a runaway.
^ THIS ^ :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

As of this minute, looking into UND, if we don't dumptruck them, we will be in for a long season. On paper, UND does not look very good IMO. If our O Line can open some holes, Hill and Wick should (literally) have a field day.

Pokes win 31-14

I would guess more, but I don't know what to expect from our D. Until we prove we can score more points, regardless opponent, I am hesitant to guess scoring more than four scores.

-----------------------------

I was just reviewing the 2015 Big Sky Media Guide.

Hard to say what caliber of players they have. In the Media Guide, it says that they have an "All-Conference Kicker" coming back. Yet, the guide then lists SEVEN "All conference Kickers" coming back. Did everyone get an award?

So, immediately I question the source. Anyhoo, they have an "All Conf" TE, Kicker, DE, ILB

In 2014:

-UND held opponents rushing to 102.5 YPG. That put them #5 overall in FCS. If Wick and Hill don’t have that by end of first quarter, we could be screwed.
- #5 in FCS with punt returns
- Last in the Big Sky in Points per game (15.9)
- Last in Big Sky in Total Offense (254 ypg) Balance of rush/pass yards
- #1 in Big Sky in total defense
- Last in Big Sky in pass efficiency
- Third to last in defensive efficiency
- Last in Big Sky in First Downs

Section Two > See page 21 of 52 for UND info
http://www.bigskyconf.com/sports/2015/8 ... px?id=1186&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keaton Studsrud started late in the season as a true freshman at quarterback. North Dakota closed the season with wins over Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado.

Their leading riusher (on the worst offensive team in the conf) graduated as well.

Classic doozy I found per http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Per media day, RB Oscar Nevermann decided to stay with the UND Football program and will sit out this fall after transferring to UND from Wyoming last winter. He was going to transfer to UT-Permian Basin, a startup D2 program but did not. Because Wyoming childishly wouldn’t release the former walk-on to an FCS program, he has to sit out and presumably play on the scout team this fall.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Good stuff djm19.

Enough is enough. Bugs me and everyone else that Wyoming struggling with inferior opponents has become a thing. When the top MW teams face schools like this, I'm instantly thinking "49-7, 52-10, 45-3" type scores. At Wyoming it's "Gawd I hope we don't lose to these guys".

If Wyoming can't beat UND and EMU by at least 21 each, buckle your seat belts folks. This will be a bumpy ride. If 3-9 SJSU bulldozed the f-word outta that team, so should the Cowboys.

No excuses. September 5th should be a fun experience for Wyoming fans.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Bohl made a comment last year to the effect, "Getting the win is all that counts." Yes, in the W-L column, but I am tired of it, and disagree with that.

Watching us roll Fresneck State last year was enjoyable. Beating FCS teams (including Montana...sorry MrTitleist) 17-12 is inexcusable.

If we don't win this opener handily, ugh.... :brick:
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

UND defense will likely be very good against the run - I don't think we will score the high numbers that some are predicting. We should have a solid and convincing win, but score may not look that lopsided. I predict 30-13.

Also, no one has talked about this...Bohl may have a minor axe to grind against UND from his NDSU days. UND cancelled out of the rivalry games at a time NDSU was struggling mightily to schedule teams as they moved into Division I FCS...although UND has all different coaches and admin now.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

yopaulie wrote:UND defense will likely be very good against the run - I don't think we will score the high numbers that some are predicting. We should have a solid and convincing win, but score may not look that lopsided. I predict 30-13.

Also, no one has talked about this...Bohl may have a minor axe to grind against UND from his NDSU days. UND cancelled out of the rivalry games at a time NDSU was struggling mightily to schedule teams as they moved into Division I FCS...although UND has all different coaches and admin now.
Good point about Bohl possibly having an axe to grind. UND and NDSU had the longest continous rivalry west of the Missouri..going well over 100 years in football when NDSU moved to FCS. Bohl could have used the UND game for scheduling and recruiting, but my undergrad school childishly refused to play NDSU and UND has went on to regret it. The only time Bohl faced UND was their final year of D2...NDSU lost. This, btw, is the first season in many that NDSU will play UND. NDSU made UND sign a two game agreement in order to play...both games in Fargo. UND needs these games, so they signed. The chickens came home to roost.

Honestly, I wouldn't blame Bohl for wanting to put a smack down on UND.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

We only put up over 30 points twice last year (CSU and FSU) and 14 points in the CSU game was essentially garbage time. The FSU score was because of big plays. If UND doesn't give up big plays (I predict they won't), we won't score that many points.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:We only put up over 30 points twice last year (CSU and FSU) and 14 points in the CSU game was essentially garbage time. The FSU score was because of big plays. If UND doesn't give up big plays (I predict they won't), we won't score that many points.
I think we will be quite a bit better offensively this year though. I appreciated Kirkegaard's effort, but he was not a FBS level quarterback. Coffman is an experienced FBS starting QB. That will make a tremendous difference. It was amazing to watch the other team just pack everyone in the box against us last year because there was zero respect for our passing game. There were a couple of times that it backfired on the defense because once Wick/Hill broke through they had a lot of daylight, but we will have a much better chance to sustain drives and score points consistently this year.

The problem, IMO, will be on defense. Can we hold anybody under 30 this year? Our best defense will be our offense controlling the time of possession. I can't remember a team with less experience, size, and depth (particularly in the secondary, I think the DL is a relative strength). That is saying something because we have had some incredibly bad defenses at UW.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

NowherePoke wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:We only put up over 30 points twice last year (CSU and FSU) and 14 points in the CSU game was essentially garbage time. The FSU score was because of big plays. If UND doesn't give up big plays (I predict they won't), we won't score that many points.
I think we will be quite a bit better offensively this year though. I appreciated Kirkegaard's effort, but he was not a FBS level quarterback. Coffman is an experienced FBS starting QB. That will make a tremendous difference. It was amazing to watch the other team just pack everyone in the box against us last year because there was zero respect for our passing game. There were a couple of times that it backfired on the defense because once Wick/Hill broke through they had a lot of daylight, but we will have a much better chance to sustain drives and score points consistently this year.

The problem, IMO, will be on defense. Can we hold anybody under 30 this year? Our best defense will be our offense controlling the time of possession. I can't remember a team with less experience, size, and depth (particularly in the secondary, I think the DL is a relative strength). That is saying something because we have had some incredibly bad defenses at UW.
You could be right, but we averaged 21.1 points a game last year and 32 minutes TOP = .67 points per minute. Even if we increase offensive output by 30% and TOP doesn't change (granted this could change but I don't think it can by much--we were already ranked very high in this category), we would only average 27 points/game. Probably not the best way to look at it, and I do think our O will be better. I just question if our scoring will be substantially better?

I guess I'm saying it won't surprise me if we blow them out and score lots but it also won't surprise me if we don't. If I had to bet right now, I'd put money on the averages which means we score near 30 and they should be less than 20.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

POKES 29
North Dakota 19
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Holy crap!! DINO and I pretty much agree on something. Check the Devil; he might have an icicle on his ass. :lol:
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Holy crap!! DINO and I pretty much agree on something. Check the Devil; he might have an icicle on his ass. :lol:
I can check one of the things important to me now off of my bucket list.

It has been my life's desire to see us agree on something, RTJ.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

Pokes - 38
UND- 17

Yarborough scoops 1 up, rambles for 6. Offense churns out 400+. 220 on ground.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

HAYDUKE has to call a doctor after 4 hours because his true team is playing at Wyoming.
He joined the day Coach Bohl came here so he could try & run down NDSU.

Wyoming 42
The fake und 7

Und = u of Notre Dame so they stole their logo. Classy

Football wise und lost their big 10 nose guard transfer from last year that basically controlled the weak big fluffy line of scrimmages. He's gone, they don't have a QB, RB OR WR & pathetic online and secondary.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

lakesbison wrote:HAYDUKE has to call a doctor after 4 hours because his true team is playing at Wyoming.
He joined the day Coach Bohl came here so he could try & run down NDSU.

Wyoming 42
The fake und 7

Und = u of Notre Dame so they stole their logo. Classy

Football wise und lost their big 10 nose guard transfer from last year that basically controlled the weak big fluffy line of scrimmages. He's gone, they don't have a QB, RB OR WR & pathetic online and secondary.
The logo thing is funny. My coworker came and looked at my printed schedule and was like "Sweet, the POkes play Notre Dame this year?"

All I replied, was "Yeah, they play UND...."
Hayduke
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:
The logo thing is funny. My coworker came and looked at my printed schedule and was like "Sweet, the POkes play Notre Dame this year?"

All I replied, was "Yeah, they play UND...."
It is kind of funny. They argue in Grand Forks all the time that UND used it first. I've seen old pictures of students about 100 years ago wearing an interlocking ND at UND. However, I doubt any of that was trademarked. Technically, from what I have heard, because the letters are slightly different, neither school could sue the other for trademark infringement.

Obviously, when someone walks around with an interlocking ND, they are mistaken for a Notre Dame fan. Once, in Mexico, I was snorkeling on some remote beach and came to my palapa bar and sat for a cold one. I put on my hat that just had an interlocking ND, and the couple next to me said, "Hey, did you go to school at North Dakota?" That threw me. However, it was an old hockey player from UND...so It wasn't like UND was that well known. Generally, when wearing hat like that, I get mistaken for a Notre Dame fan.
Last edited by Hayduke on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 247 times

You need to wear your Cowboys hat in Mexico
Hayduke
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:You need to wear your Cowboys hat in Mexico

I have. And a shirt...above some nasty American Crocodiles in Jalisco state. I'll pm if you want... :D
Frank Zappa