Considering a move to WY, thoughts & advice?

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about a move to Wyoming from the East Coast. Really looking for a change in scenery and environment. Grew up my entire life out east. I prefer a more rural environment. Also have family in CO. Plus can't stand high cost of living here. My long-term (within a year or two) goal is to go back to school. I'd like to work in WY and become a resident, then go back to school. Target is UW.

My background and skills are in science (chemistry) and technology. Have about 1-1.5 years of living expenses saved up. Time frame to move is roughly 4-6 months from now.

Questions -

Suggestions as to where to live in WY? Does not have to be a larger city; could put up with small town.

Chances of finding a job in science/outlook for job market?

Any advice, tips, suggestions would be great & very much appreciated. :thumb: Many thanks!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote:Hey guys,

I'm thinking about a move to Wyoming from the East Coast. Really looking for a change in scenery and environment. Grew up my entire life out east. I prefer a more rural environment. Also have family in CO. Plus can't stand high cost of living here. My long-term (within a year or two) goal is to go back to school. I'd like to work in WY and become a resident, then go back to school. Target is UW.

My background and skills are in science (chemistry) and technology. Have about 1-1.5 years of living expenses saved up. Time frame to move is roughly 4-6 months from now.

Questions -

Suggestions as to where to live in WY? Does not have to be a larger city; could put up with small town.

Any advice, tips, suggestions would be great & very much appreciated. :thumb: Many thanks!
The chemistry and technology skills would work in the energy industry and there are openings in that field quite often. First off, I am not a resident of Casper or Gillette, but Casper & Gillette seem to be the center of the energy industry in Wyoming. Casper has a job fair - I think it is usually in the spring. I would contact their Chamber of Commerce for more info.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

Thanks, WYCowboy. I'll take a look at your suggestions.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

http://www.trihydro.com/about-us/careers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

Applied. Thanks. :cool: Also found several opportunities in Casper. :thumb:
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

WYCowboy wrote: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:20 am
WYO_Fan_inPA wrote:Hey guys,

Questions -

The chemistry and technology skills would work in the energy industry and there are openings in that field quite often. First off, I am not a resident of Casper or Gillette, but Casper & Gillette seem to be the center of the energy industry in Wyoming. Casper has a job fair - I think it is usually in the spring. I would contact their Chamber of Commerce for more info.
What do you think about Laramie or Cheyenne?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

Laramie is very focused around the university (though with a few exceptions, mainly blue collar work though). And the town is being expanded quite a bit, with houses and apartments going up all over the place.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

In Laramie you have TriHydro, Western Research Institute, and Snowy Range Instruments/Metrohm Raman that you could consider.

WRI does a lot of chemistry stuff so I'd recommend filling out an application and sending a cover letter straight to HR letting them know what your goals are. It's a small company with a lot of great people and one division is on campus so you could potentially work and go to school.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:12 am What do you think about Laramie or Cheyenne?
Cheyenne has Microsoft, Green House Data, Dyno Nobel, and Frontier Oil that would most likely be great fits for your skill sets
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I know a visit to the state is in order. I'm thinking possibly next month. When does the first snow fall typically occur for the southern half of the state - Laramie, Cheyenne, etc.?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:57 pm Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I know a visit to the state is in order. I'm thinking possibly next month. When does the first snow fall typically occur for the southern half of the state - Laramie, Cheyenne, etc.?
Generally, around Halloween, for the first big snow at least. But it being Wyoming, it could be next week, the way the weather works here.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

DVDA wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:24 pm In Laramie you have TriHydro, Western Research Institute, and Snowy Range Instruments/Metrohm Raman that you could consider.

WRI does a lot of chemistry stuff so I'd recommend filling out an application and sending a cover letter straight to HR letting them know what your goals are. It's a small company with a lot of great people and one division is on campus so you could potentially work and go to school.
UL seems to be growing a lot in Laramie
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:30 am
DVDA wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:24 pm In Laramie you have TriHydro, Western Research Institute, and Snowy Range Instruments/Metrohm Raman that you could consider.

UL seems to be growing a lot in Laramie
Thanks. I sent you a PM.