just out of curiosity...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

could someone explain to me the deal with this board versus the GoWyoGo board? I'm still new to all of this, but I couldn't understand why someone would pay any kind of money simply for the privilege of posting on an internet message board (although I guess they get the rivals recruiting info etc.). Is there some kind of feud between the boards? Whats the history?
I lurk over there sometimes, it seems like the crowd over there is comprised more of older, more traditional wyoming cowboy fan types, whereas here I get a different impression, (based purely on people's style of writing, not meant to judge)

Basically I just want the good old fashioned soap opera gossip. I have been wanting to know for awhile now.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Good question...I can see why some folks would wonder...

About a year ago, the Rivals board "owner" for GWG (Ian McMakin or something like that), decided to take the site to 100% pay. Can't blame him, it is his deal, and his income...ah, the American Entreprenuer!

I chose not to pay, much for the same reasons you listed...and also the way it "went down"...even though I had been posting at GWG since 2003. That being said, I don't know for sure, but there probably isn't much difference in content, as to what is posted here, versus there. Wyoming has a small fan base, very little sneaks through without some kind of discussion on some (or either) message board. And as far as recruiting stuff, there are plenty of outlets to get that information, some better...some worse...than a message board, or pay message board.
Last edited by McPeachy on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

I don't know any of the drama, but I just didn't see the point in paying for an internet chat board. I lurk over at GWG often (you can still read the posts), but the information doesn't seem to be any better - or worse - than what's being posted over here.

I don't think there's any infighting or feuds, except maybe for a few personal grudges. We're all Poke fans, but I appreciate the free outlet.

GO POKES!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

As far as the admin of this board feuding with the admin of that board or any other board, it doesn't happen. WyoNation tries to keep things on an even keel. I know some of the posters we have on WyoNation don't get along with some of the posters on GoWyoGo, but that has nothing to do with WyoNation.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WYCowboy wrote:As far as the admin of this board feuding with the admin of that board or any other board, it doesn't happen. WyoNation tries to keep things on an even keel. I know some of the posters we have on WyoNation don't get along with some of the posters on GoWyoGo, but that has nothing to do with WyoNation.
I don't see any animosity, at least on our end, at all anymore. October of last year, maybe, but nothing for quite a while. And I agree, the board admin's have never fueded to my recollection, ever.
Dear Karma,

MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Hmm, where to start. Well, GoWyoGo went pay last football season, I don't remember the date exactly. They did it from a purely financial standpoint.. Ian wanted to make some scratch off of his site and keep some of the riff-raff out.. so by going pay, that was the quick and dirty of doing it, and he accomplished what he set out to do. I think he was getting a lot of drive-by traffic that was probably a moderating nightmare, so he did something about it. People that want to troll forums and be a-holes aren't going to pay in order to do so. At the time this website had been up about a year, but didn't get a ton of traffic. Wyokie, WYCowboy, tttgowyo I think were a few of the original posters leftover from the original WyoNation, then Chris and I came in and took it over in 2007. So 2007 was pretty dead around here for the most part, 2008 came along, GWG went pay, WyoNation took off like a bat out of hell. But I think UW fans need a "free" site.. because paying isn't for everyone, I know that first hand.. because I won't do it. :) GWG is still the original, and that's why they get as much traffic as they do.. it's been around since what.. 2000? Maybe before? Plus they get the "inside" stuff on recruiting, which I can't provide.. but there's a few posters on here that provide that kind of info and it works out well.

I suspect that as Cowboy athletics starts winning, and the more we spread the word about WyoNation, and the more we get indexed in Google, we'll become one of the elite free websites on the 'net. Chris has a great model in place to get it done, as evidenced by his success with eGriz.com and championshipsubdivision.com. He also has cuseorange.com which is also been very popular so far as well. I see no reason why we can't do the same. So right now I'm just working on building my fan base, putting as much content on the main page as possible, trying to put info up that even Wyo Athletics doesn't have posted, and getting some user interaction going as well.. so I think as we build on that, you'll see even more traffic on this site. Lots of good things to come.

Phew.. need anymore info? BTW, I don't hate Ian.. or even dislike him.. but we both see the value of each other's websites, even though we compete for the same market.
ImageImageImageImage
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Wyokie, WYCowboy, tttgowyo I think were a few of the original posters leftover from the original WyoNation
Im original :)
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

I've been here since day 1.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Thanks for the info everyone, I was a little curious.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

gopokes1399 wrote:
Wyokie, WYCowboy, tttgowyo I think were a few of the original posters leftover from the original WyoNation
Im original :)
You are indeed.. beautiful!
ImageImageImageImage
gopokes1399
Blog Team

You are indeed.. beautiful!
Thanks! Made my day ;)
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 106 times

I remember the old wyonation site. Didn't post much, but I was there.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I think the board admin from that site disappeared off the face of the Earth once Chris and I took it over.. he couldn't get rid of that place fast enough. haha.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

MrTitleist wrote:I think the board admin from that site disappeared off the face of the Earth once Chris and I took it over.. he couldn't get rid of that place fast enough. haha.
J-Rod and I ran that board. LOL
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

I think Texas really helped this site out. Lots of interest, but many fans like me don't want to pay to post to a silly forum. Ian wanted to clean up his board from trolls and make a little moolah. He did clean it up. It's now very boring.

I personally like to yank a little chain every once in a while. The trolls come and go and the true Pokes fans stay. Eventually, most of the people on GWG will die off and Ian will be left with his very clean site with 12 people whacking each other off, telling each other how great it is. The real fun will be here.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

CowboyCO wrote:Eventually, most of the people on GWG will die off and Ian will be left with his very clean site with 12 people whacking each other off, telling each other how great it is.
:rofl:
Dear Karma,