Griz Invasion? Or not?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MTcowpoke
Buckaroo

One metric for assessing the size of a fan base is the amount of royalties generated by a school from the sale of licensed merchandise. According to the Collegiate Licensing Company, for the FY ended 06/30/14, Montana was ranked #54 and Wyo was ranked #61. Texas has been ranked #1 for the last nine years.

This metric suggests that Montana may have a larger fan base than Wyo. There will be a lot of maroon around Laramie this weekend.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

MTcowpoke wrote:One metric for assessing the size of a fan base is the amount of royalties generated by a school from the sale of licensed merchandise. According to the Collegiate Licensing Company, for the FY ended 06/30/14, Montana was ranked #54 and Wyo was ranked #61. Texas has been ranked #1 for the last nine years.

This metric suggests that Montana may have a larger fan base than Wyo. There will be a lot of maroon around Laramie this weekend.
One small problem with this method - a simple "Montana" shirt/sweater won't tell you anything about what college team you support, while a "Wyoming" one does.
MTcowpoke
Buckaroo

Not a problem. The rankings are only based on sales of licensed merchandise for the U of Montana and the U of Wyo.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I just dug through a bunch of stuff I've bought from the Brown n Gold outlet over the years. I don't see any reference to the Collegiate Licensing Company on there. Some of the things I've bought from Walmart/etc appear though.

Does anyone know if the BnG is included in that listing? I know there are a few other shops around - like Big Horn Design in Sheridan - that might not be included in there.

Interesting way to look at it anyways.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming has a decent sized loyal fan base. It is currently the 2nd biggest in the MWC.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0 ... blogs&_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GetEmGriz
Buckaroo

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
MTcowpoke wrote:One metric for assessing the size of a fan base is the amount of royalties generated by a school from the sale of licensed merchandise. According to the Collegiate Licensing Company, for the FY ended 06/30/14, Montana was ranked #54 and Wyo was ranked #61. Texas has been ranked #1 for the last nine years.

One small problem with this method - a simple "Montana" shirt/sweater won't tell you anything about what college team you support, while a "Wyoming" one does.
It's extremely easy to tell which Montana team you support... One is maroon and just says "Montana". The other is some stupid blue and gold that says "Montana State".
gopokes1399
Blog Team

When you compare populations that shows WYO is right there and UW's logo also represents the state and a lot of merchandise is sold that is brown and gold and says Wyoming that isn't licensed merchandise. I live in Billings and the support the Griz get is next to none and they will show up in Laramie, no doubt. It is stupid to sit here and bicker about who has a better fan base etc. It is an argument that has no end because there is no counter. Both are impressive IMO and I think they are two fan bases that will get along this weekend
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

kdwrightuwyo wrote:Aranderson, Montana gave a 1000 of theirs back...
Right I understand that was just responding to a previous post stating that it did go up due to that.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

Doubtful, depending on what you consider a lot.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Brew_Poke wrote:

Doubtful, depending on what you consider a lot.

No kidding. They can't even sell the allotment that was provided and they come over here beating their chest about the hordes of Griz that are going to overtake the stadium.

They will bring a nice contingent, more than the average FCS opponent for sure, but it will hardly be a big deal.

I suspect their on-field product will be more impressive than whatever fan support they bring. Tough game for Bohl to start his tenure. A lot of downside, but not much upside in this one.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Buckaroo

FYI UM was selling those tickets for $12 more than face value. Why would anyone buy a ticket from them when you can get plenty of Wyoming tickets for less?
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:FYI UM was selling those tickets for $12 more than face value. Why would anyone buy a ticket from them when you can get plenty of Wyoming tickets for less?
Grizz,

Give us 5'4" midget bull riders an idea of your association with the program at UM, graduate of university or what?
Spewing a lot of testosterone on this board is good, but nobody has checked your credentials yet. Good luck getting here, I take it your coming in on a Peterbilt rig stocked with Yukon and Grainbelt. You will find a couple good hibernation spots in the Snowy's, not far from the Gem City.....f'ing awesome country.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Buckaroo

6'3 245lbs........went to UM for about 5 weeks decided it was too hippy liberal for this gun slinger so I headed south for college in AZ.

Lifelong Montanan born and raised.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:6'3 245lbs........went to UM for about 5 weeks decided it was too hippy liberal for this gun slinger so I headed south for college in AZ.

T-shirt fan alert!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:6'3 245lbs........went to UM for about 5 weeks decided it was too hippy liberal for this gun slinger so I headed south for college in AZ.

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

I like the look of this:

VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I like the look of this:

Me too.. except the graphics guy who couldnt fit the text in the endzones :|

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

VisorHair wrote:Me too.. except the graphics guy who couldnt fit the text in the endzones :|
Somehow I didn't even notice that.
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

NDSU brought 3000 in 2008 Montana can't even bring 1000. Wow that's sad
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Sounds like a lot of Montana fans bought their tickets through other means (stubhub, through UW ticket office, etc.). Probably will be more than 1000 there, but will it be more than 3000?? That I don't know.