WYO vs NM Game Thread

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Before the game half of Wyonation was saying we have no chance especially without Adams and Shyatt, and we should pretty much accept the loss.
Then after taking NM to OT in The Pit, those same people are freaking out about how we have no depth and how Nance shouldn't have taken that shot.
He has taken that shot A LOT and won many games for us because of it, but now it was a bad move?

Fickle fans. Ridiculous.
I don't really know why, but I looked through most of the posts leading up the game and none of the guys who said we had no chance without Adams have posted in this thread yet (except maybe stymeman). Just throwing that out there.

Also noticed you agreed with those who said we didn't have a chance, soo....
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 57 times

To be clear, I never said the Pokes had no chance. I said they had a small chance, 15% to be exact. In the end, we did leave The Pit with a loss. Is it encouraging that we were able to keep the game close against a talented team in a tough environment? Sure it is, but that isn't going to be factored in to where we finish in the MWC this season. That depends solely on wins and losses, and whether we lost by 10 in regulation or in OT has no bearing.

Frankly, nothing about the UNM game has changed my opinion on the outlook for the team this season. Like I've consistently said, I still think this team is a .500 MWC team. Just like i did after the road losses at Nevada and Fresno State. Just like I did after the road win at Boise State and our 4 game win-streak.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

There are only 2 teams that have more talent on their team than we do - SDSU & UNLV. SDSU also has good coaching - UNLV does not. People don't give Wyoming credit with having any talent (with the slight exception of Larry Nance) because the players weren't ranked with 4 or 5 stars when they were recruited - big mistake. Besides that, we have one of the best coaching staffs in the conference. We are still working on the depth issue, and that was the main reason we lost at the Pit when we were missing Josh Adams. I'll be disappointed if we don't make some noise in the MWCT.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

WYCowboy wrote:We are still working on the depth issue, and that was the main reason we lost at the Pit when we were missing Josh Adams.
We still shot pretty well, with the exception of Nance. Granberry hit a couple big 3's and Hankerson was in double figures on 75% shooting with 6 assists, he did pretty good in my opinion filling in for Josh.

UNM had 17 more scoring opportunities (FTs) than us. We lost by 5.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 57 times

WYCowboy wrote:There are only 2 teams that have more talent on their team than we do - SDSU & UNLV. SDSU also has good coaching - UNLV does not. People don't give Wyoming credit with having any talent (with the slight exception of Larry Nance) because the players weren't ranked with 4 or 5 stars when they were recruited - big mistake. Besides that, we have one of the best coaching staffs in the conference. We are still working on the depth issue, and that was the main reason we lost at the Pit when we were missing Josh Adams. I'll be disappointed if we don't make some noise in the MWCT.
Interesting take.

I do not agree that we are the 3rd most talented team in the MWC. In addition to the two teams you mentioned, I believe UNM and BSU to both be more talented basketball teams. I also believe UNR's talent to be on par with ours. I'm speaking strictly of raw, natural talent, and that doesn't always translate into being a good basketball team. Arguing over which team has the most talent may actually be a mute point.

I do agree that we have a top coaching staff. The only other coach I would put in Shyatt's league would be Fischer. We are very lucky to have Shyatt at the helm, and if he starts landing some of his top priority recruits that he missed out on in recent years...this team is going to get very good, very quickly.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I don't know who has the best overall talent.....but I bet Wyoming leads the league in dunks. Teams without much natural ability won't be leading any league in that category.

I think we are talented but thin. Really need to improve depth to have a shot at the conference title next year. However, I think this team is capable of beating any team in the MWC this year. The tournament is going to be fun.

Go Pokes!!!
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

JimmyDimes wrote:I don't know who has the best overall talent.....but I bet Wyoming leads the league in dunks. Teams without much natural ability won't be leading any league in that category.

I think we are talented but thin. Really need to improve depth to have a shot at the conference title next year. However, I think this team is capable of beating any team in the MWC this year. The tournament is going to be fun.

Go Pokes!!!
Yep, dunks and blocked shots are signs of athletic ability, and we seem to do well in both categories.

I agree that our biggest issue is depth. Fortunately our guys play smart and usually don't get into foul trouble, but when it happens (like Grabau against UNM) we really feel it.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

The depth issue can be a real problem as this team comes down the stretch and then the mwc tournament. Usually, we have 4 starters playing more than 30 minutes a game. Hopefully, those players don't get worn out. Having to play as many as 3 or 4 games in as many days in the tournament will really test a team with a short bench. They will need marathon type stamina.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

bladerunnr wrote:The depth issue can be a real problem as this team comes down the stretch and then the mwc tournament. Usually, we have 4 starters playing more than 30 minutes a game. Hopefully, those players don't get worn out. Having to play as many as 3 or 4 games in as many days in the tournament will really test a team with a short bench. They will need marathon type stamina.
We are in better shape than we were last year, but we better hope we don't get too many players in foul trouble.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Where can I listen to it online. I'll see if I can listen to some of it if y'all can tell me which radio station has it on.
I'm too lazy to look up anything. I'm tired.
:)
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

It is ESPN3, so you can watch it online. If you want to listen just go to gowyo.com.