WYO vs NM Game Thread

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

It's pretty clear this coaching staff is clueless about how to foul at the end of a game and does nothing to prepare these guys. They wasted 20 seconds looking around at each other before they decided to foul someone. That is not acceptable.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Moral victories suck, but I really do like the way this team competes. Refreshing to see from a Wyo bball team.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

I think we've learned not to put it in Granberry's hands with the game on the line. Choked twice in OT when we needed points badly.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud we went on the road without a starter and without a coach and were in it, but we lost. We had it, we lost it.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:DamniT!!!!!!!! What a wasted opportunity. Had the win and gave it away. Its games like this why we won't make a post season worth anything.
Lack of size and depth. Couldn't keep Kirk and Bairstow off the boards and got tired at the end. If any of the scholarships taken up by Sellers, Herndon, Haldorson or Vernon had yielded a productive front court player, this would be a tough team. Too much to ask Nance to carry the load and to have Granberry play the 4.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote:Moral victories suck, but I really do like the way this team competes. Refreshing to see from a Wyo bball team.
We seem to have a lot of these.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:DamniT!!!!!!!! What a wasted opportunity. Had the win and gave it away. Its games like this why we won't make a post season worth anything.
Lack of size and depth. Couldn't keep Kirk and Bairstow off the boards and got tired at the end. If any of the scholarships taken up by Sellers, Herndon, Haldorson or Vernon had yielded a productive front court player, this would be a tough team. Too much to ask Nance to carry the load and to have Granberry play the 4.
Bingo.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote:I think we've learned not to put it in Granberry's hands with the game on the line. Choked twice in OT when we needed points badly.
There were a lot more chokes than granberry.... Grabau had two turnovers in OT, Sobry disappeared, and nance disappeared. Can't win if you're three remaining studs can't take care of business. I most definitely do not blame this on guys like granberry or hankerson. In fact it's because of their play we were in it at all
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Well constructed game except for the last 10 seconds of regulation.
1) NM knew Nance was going to take the last shot.
2) Nance knew, no matter what, that he was.
3) And he forced a shot he was not familiar with. If the shot was was designated to any open man the last 10 secs, might have been a different game.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

DVDA wrote:It's pretty clear this coaching staff is clueless about how to foul at the end of a game and does nothing to prepare these guys. They wasted 20 seconds looking around at each other before they decided to foul someone. That is not acceptable.
That was pretty bad, but did you honestly watch this game and think the Wyoming coaching staff does nothing to prepare the team? I can assure you that New Mexico is the more talented team. Bigger, faster, stronger. Pokes kept themselves in it due to effort and preparation. They weren't perfect (way too many bad passes) by any means, but considering the team is operating without the head coach, it was a pretty solid effort.

Keep in mind the resource limitation that puts on the staff. Coaching college basketball during the season is more than a full-time job and to have to do it with 3 people instead of 4, particularly when the one missing is the leader? That's tough. Doesn't excuse the recruiting mistakes that put the team in this position, but I think the staff does a pretty good job.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

NowherePoke wrote:
Yup. New Mexico missed 31 shots tonight, got the ball back on 16 of those misses. Where's Uche??
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:Well constructed game except for the last 10 seconds of regulation.
3) And he forced a shot he was not familiar with. If the shot was was designated to any open man the last 10 secs, might have been a different game.
This x10000

Everyone in the arena knew what play we drew up. Waste time, waste time, dump it to nance for a miracle. Terrible coaching displayed in the final 30 seconds of regulation and the entire OT
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:Not able to watch, just following on Gamecast. Looking like we are getting CRUSHED on the boards....13 total rebounds 3/4 through the game?? wow
For the last time- we are one of the best shooting teams in the nation and we play quick-transition defense. Rebounds, other than defensive ones, are practically meaningless. It's like focusing on 3rd down conversions with a team that scores on every possession in football.
I understand that, but when we have 13 defensive rebounds, and New Mexico has 11 offensive rebounds....that's not good. Giving up an offensive rebound results in the same outcome as a turnover. An extra shot for the opponent.

Take away 11 shots from New Mexico in a 4 pt game? Yes please.
Correct. We are a poor defensive rebounding team, which kills us. The lack of offensive rebounds is a strategic decision. The lack of defensive rebounds is a combination of personnel limitations and effort.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:I think we've learned not to put it in Granberry's hands with the game on the line. Choked twice in OT when we needed points badly.
There were a lot more chokes than granberry.... Grabau had two turnovers in OT, Sobry disappeared, and nance disappeared. Can't win if you're three remaining studs can't take care of business. I most definitely do not blame this on guys like granberry or hankerson. In fact it's because of their play we were in it at all
Yeah, Grabau turning the ball over was way worse than Granberry missing a quality look. Granberry hitting a big time shot is the reason the Pokes had a chance at OT.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

What an awesome game! I legitimately expected us to lose by 10+ in that building, and the fact of the matter is, we were one Larry Nance missed shot away from completely stunning a team that has a lot more talent than we do. I firmly feel that without question we're the most well coached, cohesive team in the conference, we're simply just short on talent. But man!! This team defends, doesn't get rattled, and is in every single game they play, and in my opinion that is a PLEASURE! esp given recent teams at wyo have been loaded with talent and couldn't beat a junior high team.
Good to see Grabau hitting some big threes, but his two turnovers in overtime were absolutely killer.
Last edited by FarmerPoke on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:Well constructed game except for the last 10 seconds of regulation.
Bingo. But that's on Nance.

Drive and be aware- look for the shot, look for the dish.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

We are the winningest f-word school in America in moral victories. The staff, in general, does a great job getting effort and with x's and o's, but our recruiting "misteps" are killing us. We need to cut loose about 4-5 guys.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:Not able to watch, just following on Gamecast. Looking like we are getting CRUSHED on the boards....13 total rebounds 3/4 through the game?? wow
For the last time- we are one of the best shooting teams in the nation and we play quick-transition defense. Rebounds, other than defensive ones, are practically meaningless. It's like focusing on 3rd down conversions with a team that scores on every possession in football.
I understand that, but when we have 13 defensive rebounds, and New Mexico has 11 offensive rebounds....that's not good. Giving up an offensive rebound results in the same outcome as a turnover. An extra shot for the opponent.

Take away 11 shots from New Mexico in a 4 pt game? Yes please.
Correct. We are a poor defensive rebounding team, which kills us. The lack of offensive rebounds is a strategic decision. The lack of defensive rebounds is a combination of personnel limitations and effort.
As a team, we definitely failed on the defensive board, which, heretofore upon, we've been proficient
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

LasCrucesPoke wrote:We are the winningest f-word school in America in moral victories. The staff, in general, does a great job getting effort and with x's and o's, but our recruiting "misteps" are killing us. We need to cut loose about 4-5 guys.
There are no moral victories. We lost tonight. If we were "Cowboy Tough", we win.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

LasCrucesPoke wrote:We are the winningest f-word school in America in moral victories.
Hahaha cracked me up, but I would agree. But I'm sure excited about the direction we're headed, which is alot more than could be said just a couple seasons ago!