Shyatt?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

I didn't get to listen to Dave and Kevin and haven't seen any reports in the paper - do we know what is going on with Papa Shy?

As for the suspension, I think Adams will learn a lot from it. It will hurt us at UNM, but I think he will grow from this experience.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Shyatt is still sick and won't coach at New Mexico. They don't know if he'll be back in time for UNLV or not. Scott Duncan will be interim coach for the New Mexico game.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

Saw that he has a virus in the press. Hope he is OK. All in all, though, the wins at AFA and against USU indicate that we have some good assistant coaches and that the players respond very well to them.

Hope Shy is on the mend and can rejoin the 'boys for UNLV.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

Something more serious than meet's the eye is going on here. For Shyatt to miss 3 games (possibly more) in the heart of the MWC basketball season, he must be very sick. This is not a typical cold/flu virus or "the crud" as some other posters have eluded to. It sounds like he is on complete bed rest and may even be staying in a hospital. I have a feeling this is going to be something that lingers for the rest of the season. I expect the seriousness of his illness will become more evident in the offseason. Hopefully this isn't something that will threaten his career.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

It sure seems like they are covering something up. But why? Why don't they state the exact nature of the illness, rather than some vague reference to a "virus"?
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Maybe it's just a normal flu virus. He wouldn't want to be in close contact with the flu, because he would jeopardize spreading it to his team during the heart of the season.

I hope it's just that and Shyatt will be back soon.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
cowboyforlife
Buckaroo

If it was anything like I had, I was running fevers of 103-104 for about a week. It completely saps any energy you have. I wasn't put on bed rest, but the doc told me not to try to do anything. Wasn't the flu. Just a virus that was going around.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Probably being cautious because they don't want to get players sick
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

People, especially fans, like to look WAY too far into things.
He is sick, with a virus, the doctor said take time off and get better. If he doesn't, then he will just make his recovery even harder, not to mention getting the entire team sick.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

this illness is running rampant in SE Wyoming, so i know (kinda) what he's going thru, we don't need Larry to be sick like he was last year at this point either(as for others as well), i can't think it's all that tho
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Only thing that makes me curious is that this is going on 2+ weeks now, if it's truly just a virus, then something is wrong with his immune system. Otherwise, something else is going on that we're not aware of. Hope we see Papa Shy back on the sideline soon.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:Only thing that makes me curious is that this is going on 2+ weeks now, if it's truly just a virus, then something is wrong with his immune system. Otherwise, something else is going on that we're not aware of. Hope we see Papa Shy back on the sideline soon.
Don't some virus' stay contagious after symptoms have gone away?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:Only thing that makes me curious is that this is going on 2+ weeks now, if it's truly just a virus, then something is wrong with his immune system. Otherwise, something else is going on that we're not aware of. Hope we see Papa Shy back on the sideline soon.
Most viruses stay contagious as long as they are alive. The question is how prevalent is someone to spread a virus. If you are still fighting the virus, it means that there are still millions of viral particles in the body. Once the body has slowed their reproduction rate and begins killing off these particles this is when symptoms start to reside. So yes, someone could be contagious without symptoms, but conversely this means they have less virus in their body and thus a smaller likelihood of contaminating anyone. Theoretically, a person could be healthy for quite a while but still contagious even if there are only a few viable particles left alive. The biggest example of this is HIV where even though someone is showing know symptoms, they are still infected and contagious.

My only concern was that even a nasty virus should be seeing a conclusion around 10 days, so the fact this is finishing its 2nd week and going into a 3rd is somewhat troubling.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Most viruses stay contagious as long as they are alive. The question is how prevalent is someone to spread a virus. If you are still fighting the virus, it means that there are still millions of viral particles in the body. Once the body has slowed their reproduction rate and begins killing off these particles this is when symptoms start to reside. So yes, someone could be contagious without symptoms, but conversely this means they have less virus in their body and thus a smaller likelihood of contaminating anyone. Theoretically, a person could be healthy for quite a while but still contagious even if there are only a few viable particles left alive. The biggest example of this is HIV where even though someone is showing know symptoms, they are still infected and contagious.

My only concern was that even a nasty virus should be seeing a conclusion around 10 days, so the fact this is finishing its 2nd week and going into a 3rd is somewhat troubling.
Since my background is medical, I think a little virus education is in order. This link provides basic information about viruses and the most important thing to know is they are not ALIVE. Outside of their host, they act simply as non-living chemicals. The link in case you are interested:

http://faculty.clintoncc.suny.edu/facul ... iruses.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

I am aware they are not living, for the sake of a message board I said live, however you will note that I said viable once, I should have gone with that instead. Also, I didn't refer to cells as they are particles, not cells. My background is also in medical, I was just trying to explain it in the easiest way.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:I am aware they are not living, for the sake of a message board I said live, however you will note that I said viable once, I should have gone with that instead. Also, I didn't refer to cells as they are particles, not cells. My background is also in medical, I was just trying to explain it in the easiest way.
No problem, you did just fine.....some folks just think they are living critters. I think the more educated people are about viruses the better off we all will be.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

one thing I do know, they SUCK!!!! battling one now, but getting better everyday