Semi OT: NFL dropping extra point?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

The NFL is considering dropping extra points and just making TDs worth 7.

Thoughts? Personally, I see it for the NFL, though I do like the opportunity for 2 every now and then, but I don't think they are as automatic in college. The justification the NFL is using is that they are essentially automatic. I hope college does not consider dropping extra points.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

sounds like a solution looking for a problem
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

If extra points are too boring why not move all extra points to the 30 yard line and make it less routine.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Eliminating the try would take a lot of the excitement away from close games (i.e. coaches no longer can choose to go for 2 for the win or perhaps 2 is necessary for the tie).

I like the idea of moving the extra point back and leaving the 2-pt conversion where it stands. There would certainly be many more 2-pt conversion tries and increased excitement.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The rule proposal calls for TD's to be 7 points. An extra point can be attempted to make it 8 by run or kick, but if missed the TD counts as 6 instead of 7.

This is ridiculous. Who would not try for the extra point, given that in around 1200 extra point kick tries this year only 5 were missed?
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:The rule proposal calls for TD's to be 7 points. An extra point can be attempted to make it 8 by run or pass, but if missed the TD counts as 6 instead of 7.
Fixed it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:The rule proposal calls for TD's to be 7 points. An extra point can be attempted to make it 8 by run or pass, but if missed the TD counts as 6 instead of 7.
Fixed it.
That isn't a bad option at all. However, what is the point of making the TD worth 7 rather than 6??? Is there going to be an option whereby a team can decline to attempt the conversion? Otherwise, if you autmoatically go to 6 for missing the conversion, just leave the touchdown as worth 6.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:Is there going to be an option whereby a team can decline to attempt the conversion?
As I understand it, yes. Teams will have the choice to go straight to a kick-off and the touchdwon will be worth 7. Or they can attempt a 2-point conversion...if good = 8 points; if no good = 6 points. It would certainly add more strategy into the game.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Absolutely right. My mistake. Extra point by run or pass NOT kick. I don't know what the percentage of 2-point tries were successfull this year.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

As kicker I'm offended by this idea!! :tickedoff:

Just another reason not watch the NFL... Baseball is now following in the path of the NFL. Replays for any questionable call and no more homeplate collisions. Sad to think I have no interest in watching my 2 childhood sports anymore.
I'm good for 3!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

If they want to make the PAT more interesting they should do it like rugby. Keep a TD as 6, but the PAT has to be spotted directly out from where the TD occurred. So if it's a fade to the corner of the end zone, the PAT is spotted at the 2 just inside the sideline...now that would make things interesting.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:If they want to make the PAT more interesting they should do it like rugby. Keep a TD as 6, but the PAT has to be spotted directly out from where the TD occurred. So if it's a fade to the corner of the end zone, the PAT is spotted at the 2 just inside the sideline...now that would make things interesting.
i like it
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

It would speed the game up without any real change to it. If you want to go for two you still have either 6 or 8 points. If you want 7 point you just eliminate a near automatic play. I wouldn't mind this change. Not pushing for the change but if they decided to make it ,I would be fine with it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote:As kicker I'm offended by this idea!! :tickedoff:

Just another reason not watch the NFL... Baseball is now following in the path of the NFL. Replays for any questionable call and no more homeplate collisions. Sad to think I have no interest in watching my 2 childhood sports anymore.
I feel for the kickers. But, it is hard to argue that the extra point in the NFL is not the most boring and pre-determined play.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:
Cornpoke wrote:As kicker I'm offended by this idea!! :tickedoff:

I feel for the kickers. But, it is hard to argue that the extra point in the NFL is not the most boring and pre-determined play.
No way... Kneel down play is :D
I'm good for 3!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I dunno, most NFL kickers have to consider an extra point pretty much useless also. I guess they won't get as many points scored in the stat sheet?
Hayduke
Cowpoke

I think this is a stupid idea.

Leave the extra point and two point conversion alone.

If it's so automatic, then maybe we can take it a little further. Whoever is favored in a game just automatically wins. No game necessary.

For Christ's sake, play the freakin' game!
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hayduke wrote:I think this is a stupid idea.

Leave the extra point and two point conversion alone.

If it's so automatic, then maybe we can take it a little further. Whoever is favored in a game just automatically wins. No game necessary.

For Christ's sake, play the freakin' game!
Of course by this logic, Touchdowns would still be worth 4 points, the forward pass would be illegal and facemasks wouldn't exist.

If the game weren't modified for the sake of both increased safety and better entertainment, it would look vastly different today than 100 years ago.

Having said that, I'm not necessarily pushing for the abolishment of the PAT, but I welcome the discussion of any ideas that could add some excitement to the game.
CitizenCane
Buckaroo

I don't know. Sometimes, especially late in the game after a long drive, just the commercials aren't long enough and that extra minute or so you get from the PAT is useful and needed. Maybe I will just need to stay home and not go to the bar to watch the Broncos. This could be bad for the economy.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Don't buy NFL tickets.
The NFL is not really interesting anymore.