2014 starting line-up.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:I think we will see a mass exodus after spring ball from our receiving corps. They will figure out that their part in this scheme has been greatly diminished and they will go looking for a spread style team after Spring ball. I can tell you there is a lot of talk already....Many are considering transferring to a National Powerhouse JC for a year and then on to another D1 program. Arizona Western is on many of their radar screens.
Mass exodus?
SR's, Rufran, Berger, Claiborne, Montgomery, and Norman.
JR's, 0
Soph, Brown, Gentry, Maulhart, Nezocha, Sewell, and Simpson
RSF, Gilbert, McGarvin.
So who's leaving. None of the SR's. Soph's Gentry and Maulhart were the first player's to welcome him to the team on twitter. Nezocha's bro will most likely be a starting LB again, why would he not want to continue playing with him? Simpson isn't going to leave, born to be a Cowboy. So that leaves Brown, Sewell and the two walk-on RSF, None who have done squat in their time here. But you are the insider so tell me.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I know this is a long ways out, but I am hoping we can keep this constantly updated kind of like the recruiting thread.

Right now we are likely looking at:

QB- Young
RB- Wick

O-Line- I have no idea.

WR- Rufran, Claiborne, maybe Tanner Simpson? I put Tanner on here because the kid works his ass off, and Bohl values toughness.

Anyone care to help fill in the potential starting lineup for the Montana game?
Drinking when you posted this? I know you know better ... on all accounts.
Because of Young?
Yes. We don't even have a courtroom built to host what jury may exist (to be out far enough) on this guy.

:twocents:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
KansasPoke
Ranch Hand

Young probably does have a substantial lead for the QB race. Not only likely more talented than the other QB's but most importantly he actually already knows the system. Knowing the Pro-Style offense and having coaching/time from under center is a factor some aren't thinking about. We will be going from a shot-gun spread system to a under the center Pro-Style. Sure we will work from the shot-gun at times but those returning better know how to take a snap from under center and know their drops. To many kids know a days just can not operate from under center and have never been coached to.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

zappinpoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:I think we will see a mass exodus after spring ball from our receiving corps. They will figure out that their part in this scheme has been greatly diminished and they will go looking for a spread style team after Spring ball. I can tell you there is a lot of talk already....Many are considering transferring to a National Powerhouse JC for a year and then on to another D1 program. Arizona Western is on many of their radar screens.
Mass exodus?
JR's, 0
RSF, Gilbert, McGarvin.
So who's leaving. None of the SR's. Soph's Gentry and Maulhart were the first player's to welcome him to the team on twitter. Nezocha's bro will most likely be a starting LB again, why would he not want to continue playing with him? Simpson isn't going to leave, born to be a Cowboy. So that leaves Brown, Sewell and the two walk-on RSF, None who have done squat in their time here. But you are the insider so tell me.
Nice analysis.......However I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of things happen here. Berger and finish his time at a D2 school. His stock fell off dramatically this year to the point he was relegated to the scout team. He is a JC kid anyhow so D2 may be appealing to him. Now the one caveat here is he may be big enough to play TE. Rufran will stay,as will Claiborn and Montgomery. Norman and Maulhardt could both play TE but I could see Trey leaving to play D2 as well. Which brings us to the Soph........Nico has been a washout and will look to leave....however he may posses the size to play TE as well. Tanner Gentry came here to catch the ball he had big time offers to go play Saftey so he may consider leaving time will tell here. He is a hard one to read. Trent has been on a slide since he got sick....he lost a bunch of weight over the break and looks good but I hope it wasn't at teh expense of strength. Eric stays simply because his brother is going to play. Simpson wants to play D1 his work ethic reflects that, If he isn't in the equation I could see him looking to upgrade his standing by virtue of a JC then another D1 school. Mcgarvin lacks the skills to ever play at D1 so he will either hang it up or transfer...my guess is he becomes a full time student very soon.

Disclaimer: all of this is my opinions and doesn't reflect anything I may or may not have discussed with each player! ;-)
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

KansasPoke wrote:Young probably does have a substantial lead for the QB race. Not only likely more talented than the other QB's but most importantly he actually already knows the system. Knowing the Pro-Style offense and having coaching/time from under center is a factor some aren't thinking about. We will be going from a shot-gun spread system to a under the center Pro-Style. Sure we will work from the shot-gun at times but those returning better know how to take a snap from under center and know their drops. To many kids know a days just can not operate from under center and have never been coached to.

Kansas, did you look at his huddle? I only saw him under center a couple of times... Interesting that the majority of the snaps were from the gun.
KansasPoke
Ranch Hand

True but that is a highlight vid showcasing his passing ability and how he works out of the pocket. What it didn't show you all the time they were running from under the center running the ball.

A WCO offense runs mostly from under the center but does go from the shot-gun as well. It is a good mix but the staple is from under the center.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

KansasPoke wrote:True but that is a highlight vid showcasing his passing ability and how he works out of the pocket. What it didn't show you all the time they were running from under the center running the ball.

A WCO offense runs mostly from under the center but does go from the shot-gun as well. It is a good mix but the staple is from under the center.

True enough.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote:We haven't employed one since Breske was here. :D
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

zappinpoke wrote:
Mass exodus?
JR's, 0
RSF, Gilbert, McGarvin.
Thanks. Contrary to some, Bohl's teams are pretty balanced. It isn't like the receivers are all the sudden not going to be involved and/or have passes thrown their way.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Granted it is way too early to project any starters, but since this is an offseason thing, I think what Beav was going for (and I agree) that it would be fun to sticky this thread and just keep a running list of starters that is modified as the offseason progresses. We start with the best idea we have right now and as we get commitments, defections, spring ball updates, etc. we update the lineup. It would be fun to look back in August at what we were thinking and say "wow, we weren't even close".
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Hopefully we'll see what Sewell can do this year and having May back in a running based offense could be huge. Remember, May had great stats in games where he had more than a handful of rushing attempts.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Furthermore, I was curious how a starting lineup would look as far as 1-2 WRs, 1-2 TE, etc. So i went back and compiled the starting lineups that NDSU used in 2013. Bohl mixed it up a bit, this is what they used:

Obviously every lineup used a QB, LT, LG, C, RG, RT...

1WR, 2 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB - 4 times.
3 WR, 1 TE, 0 FB, 1 RB - 4 times.
1 WR, 1 TE, 0 FB, 3 RB - 1 time.
4 WR, 0 TE, 0 FB, 1 RB - 1 time.
2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB - 5 times.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

What is this "lot of talk" you speak of? I guess I don't see why receivers would even want to transfer. We have a lot of seniors and guys that are excited to be here.

Is there some information about people that are actually looking to transfer or just fan speculation?

I think this comes from DC leaving, Brett going to the draft, and Thompson transferring. The speculators must think the wide receivers want to go as well. DC leaving is good for the team. You can't be too broken hearted that Brett is going to the NFL. Aside from that, do our receivers really care that we lost a pretty boy back-up qb with a career record of 0-1? I doubt our receiving core is basing their future on the decision of a bench rider that has been trying to quit Laramie since he got here.

I would be surprised if all of our receivers aren't back next year. They have to be looking forward to running a different route then a bubble screen.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:
What is this "lot of talk" you speak of? I guess I don't see why receivers would even want to transfer. We have a lot of seniors and guys that are excited to be here.

Is there some information about people that are actually looking to transfer or just fan speculation?

I think this comes from DC leaving, Brett going to the draft, and Thompson transferring. The speculators must think the wide receivers want to go as well. DC leaving is good for the team. You can't be too broken hearted that Brett is going to the NFL. Aside from that, do our receivers really care that we lost a pretty boy back-up qb with a career record of 0-1? I doubt our receiving core is basing their future on the decision of a bench rider that has been trying to quit Laramie since he got here.

I would be surprised if all of our receivers aren't back next year. They have to be looking forward to running a different route then a bubble screen.
LOL well there you have it. :lol: