WY culture to outsiders

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

Hey guys, question here about the culture in WY. I read several threads on different message boards about WY residents and their attitudes to out-of-state folks who either move to WY to live or are just visiting.

The impression that I read was native WY folks, once they find out you are from out-of-state, won't give you the time of day. I find it hard to believe. Is the state really like this?

I grew up in PA, have lived & traveled all over the USA, and if I am wearing WYO apparel in WY, I would doubt that people would give me the cold shoulder like that.

Your thoughts and feedback is appreciated, guys. Thank you.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I would say the determining factor in a native’s attitude towards a newcomer is that person’s attitude. If they come in and start complaining about the way things are done here they are not going to be welcomed. It’s like the old bumper sticker “welcome to Wyoming, I don’t give a poop how you did it back home”
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

ZapPoke wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:22 am I would say the determining factor in a native’s attitude towards a newcomer is that person’s attitude. If they come in and start complaining about the way things are done here they are not going to be welcomed. It’s like the old bumper sticker “welcome to Wyoming, I don’t give a poop how you did it back home”
this exactly. especially after seeing what's happened to colorado, i think we're even more suspicious of outsiders. I've never know anyone to be rude/hostile to an out of stater that's moved here and embraced wyoming for how it is. The problem is that (mostly with liberals) they come with some kind of superiority complex and feel like wyoming needs to change to whatever dumped they just left.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

Thanks, guys. This is helpful.

I think people moving to new areas overlook the fact they are in a DIFFERENT place that is going to be DIFFERENT than where they came from. If they aren't going to embrace it fully, then why move there?!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

And what happens is people move into Wyo places and after 3-5 years they then want to run for city councils and county offices because they think and remember what it was like where they came from and want to try to change philosophies to how it was where they escaped from in the 1st place. I can feel the change trying to come into Cheyenne, as it feels like Denver North anymore. Texas, California, Utah and Colorado sure are making itself known anymore, moreso than we really thought possible thanx to the pandemic for the most part. Drive from Cheyenne to Burns and u will see the influx. Can't stop it, just wish people would accept Wyoming for it's being Wyoming. Like No(other) Place on Earth!!!! Nothing stays the same I guess, unfortunately!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Don't get me started on the billionaires pushing the millionaires outta Jackson Hole and to places like Cody, Sheridan, Buffalo, Pinedale, Saratoga...Wyoming sure isn't like it used to be 25 years ago for sure(glad I remember it for what it was like)
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

Thank you for all the insight, guys. It is appreciated.

I can say with all certainty that, if I ever move to WY, I enter will open arms to embrace the state and people for what it is. I will have no intention to change what it is. I always think, well, if people hate it there so much (who aren't from there), leave! There are no barbed wire fences stopping you. Lol.