Student loan forgiveness

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Indefensible.

Can someone explain how Biden can do this unilaterally? I don’t understand
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

The student loan program is federally funded. Because of the funding source the executive branch has the power to forgive the debt.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:41 pm The student loan program is federally funded. Because of the funding source the executive branch has the power to forgive the debt.
This is incorrect.

They are trying to use "emergency powers" as both Pelosi and Biden have both said he did not have the power to do so unilaterally. "The Heroes Act, passed after the Sept. 11 attacks, gives the secretary of education the power to “waive or modify” any provision of the law “in connection with a war or other military operation or national emergency.” The executive executes the laws, they cannot just decide not to enforce certain parts of a law or magically create law through the bureaucracy. It's what most lawsuits are over, like when the ATF just decides that pistol braces are no longer legal with no legislative authority.

It doesn't surprise me that you have poop take on student loan forgiveness as all your takes are poop.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:52 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:41 pm The student loan program is federally funded. Because of the funding source the executive branch has the power to forgive the debt.
This is incorrect.

They are trying to use "emergency powers" as both Pelosi and Biden have both said he did not have the power to do so unilaterally. "The Heroes Act, passed after the Sept. 11 attacks, gives the secretary of education the power to “waive or modify” any provision of the law “in connection with a war or other military operation or national emergency.” The executive executes the laws, they cannot just decide not to enforce certain parts of a law or magically create law through the bureaucracy. It's what most lawsuits are over, like when the ATF just decides that pistol braces are no longer legal with no legislative authority.

It doesn't surprise me that you have poop take on student loan forgiveness as all your takes are poop.
The Secretary of Education is part of the executive branch. We've been in a state of emergency since March 13, 2020. The provisions of law that are being waived are the repayment principles of student loans outlined in USC § 1087.

It doesn't surprise me that you don't know how the government works, as it hasn't yet been explained in crayon.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:52 am
This is incorrect.

The Secretary of Education is part of the executive branch. We've been in a state of emergency since March 13, 2020. The provisions of law that are being waived are the repayment principles of student loans outlined in USC § 1087.

It doesn't surprise me that you don't know how the government works, as it hasn't yet been explained in crayon.
I suppose people believing this grants the authority would technically be disabled so they would then be eligible to have their loans forgiven. Makes sense, democrats are retarded.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:04 pm I suppose people believing this grants the authority would technically be disabled so they would then be eligible to have their loans forgiven. Makes sense, democrats are retarded.
Did I hurt your little snowflake feelings by proving you wrong? It's ok little buddy. That's why the grownups run things while you whine about it on the internet.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:05 pm
laxwyo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:04 pm I suppose people believing this grants the authority would technically be disabled so they would then be eligible to have their loans forgiven. Makes sense, democrats are retarded.
Did I hurt your little snowflake feelings by proving you wrong? It's ok little buddy. That's why the grownups run things while you whine about it on the internet.
You think you're right about the authority? LOL There's only a handful of liberal law scholars that think this is true. Even Nancy Pelosi said he never had the authority. Will it stop him from trying? No, but since the extreme shift of demorats to the authoritarian side of governance, they'll sure try any and everything. As when the EPA, ATF and others try to create law through the bureaucracy, they'll get sued and lose. It's a little scary how bad you all want a dictator that could do anything they want.

'Without authorization by Congress of a specific loan forgiveness program, the President does not have the authority to forgive student loan debt. As the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Whitman v. American Trucking Assns., Inc., (531 USC 457, 2001), Congress does not “hide elephants in mouseholes.”
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:24 pm You think you're right about the authority? LOL There's only a handful of liberal law scholars that think this is true. Even Nancy Pelosi said he never had the authority. Will it stop him from trying? No, but since the extreme shift of demorats to the authoritarian side of governance, they'll sure try any and everything. As when the EPA, ATF and others try to create law through the bureaucracy, they'll get sued and lose. It's a little scary how bad you all want a dictator that could do anything they want.

'Without authorization by Congress of a specific loan forgiveness program, the President does not have the authority to forgive student loan debt. As the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Whitman v. American Trucking Assns., Inc., (531 USC 457, 2001), Congress does not “hide elephants in mouseholes.”
I'm not saying I'm right. I'm conveying that the Department of Justice said there isn't an issue, and they're the authority on this. In fact, they specifically addressed Whitman v. American Trucking Ass'ns:
When Justice Scalia used the mousehole metaphor for the first time in the U.S. Reports, he used it to express the idea that Congress “does not alter the fundamental details of a regulatory scheme in vague terms or ancillary provisions.” Whitman v. Am. Trucking Ass’ns, 531 U.S. 457, 468 (2001). There is no mousehole here because there is nothing “vague” or “ancillary” about the HEROES Act. The HEROES Act expressly gives the Secretary sweeping authority to “waive or modify any statutory or regulatory provision applicable to the student financial assistance programs under title IV,”
Stop parroting what you hear on OAN, Fox News, or whatever other crackpot "media" sources you follow and read a legal opinion. If you disagree with said opinion I would encourage you to go to law school so you can change it.

https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/f ... es-act.pdf
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:39 am
laxwyo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:24 pm You think you're right about the authority? LOL There's only a handful of liberal law scholars that think this is true. Even Nancy Pelosi said he never had the authority. Will it stop him from trying? No, but since the extreme shift of demorats to the authoritarian side of governance, they'll sure try any and everything. As when the EPA, ATF and others try to create law through the bureaucracy, they'll get sued and lose. It's a little scary how bad you all want a dictator that could do anything they want.

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm conveying that the Department of Justice said there isn't an issue, and they're the authority on this. In fact, they specifically addressed Whitman v. American Trucking A$$'ns:
When Justice Scalia used the mousehole metaphor for the first time in the U.S. Reports, he used it to express the idea that Congress “does not alter the fundamental details of a regulatory scheme in vague terms or ancillary provisions.” Whitman v. Am. Trucking A$$’ns, 531 U.S. 457, 468 (2001). There is no mousehole here because there is nothing “vague” or “ancillary” about the HEROES Act. The HEROES Act expressly gives the Secretary sweeping authority to “waive or modify any statutory or regulatory provision applicable to the student financial assistance programs under title IV,”
Stop parroting what you hear on OAN, Fox News, or whatever other crackpot "media" sources you follow and read a legal opinion. If you disagree with said opinion I would encourage you to go to law school so you can change it.

We all know that the so called Justice Department has devolved into the Democrat Stasi. They will say and do whatever Biden wants them to say or do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ZapPoke wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:16 pm

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm conveying that the Department of Justice said there isn't an issue, and they're the authority on this. In fact, they specifically addressed Whitman v. American Trucking A$$'ns:
When Justice Scalia used the mousehole metaphor for the first time in the U.S. Reports, he used it to express the idea that Congress “does not alter the fundamental details of a regulatory scheme in vague terms or ancillary provisions.” Whitman v. Am. Trucking A$$’ns, 531 U.S. 457, 468 (2001). There is no mousehole here because there is nothing “vague” or “ancillary” about the HEROES Act. The HEROES Act expressly gives the Secretary sweeping authority to “waive or modify any statutory or regulatory provision applicable to the student financial assistance programs under title IV,”

We all know that the so called Justice Department has devolved into the Democrat Stasi. They will say and do whatever Biden wants them to say or do.
For real.

did you hear that the FBI told Zuckerberg to censor the Hunter Biden laptop story on Facebook. This is getting scary. I'm not sure we are living in a free country anymore. Blow up D.C. and all those office buildings, agencies, etc and start over with a new capital somewhere else... in Oklahoma or something.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

ZapPoke wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:16 pm We all know that the so called Justice Department has devolved into the Democrat Stasi. They will say and do whatever Biden wants them to say or do.
How did I know this was going to come up? "Back the Blue! (Unless they do things we don't like, then defund the FBI!)"
ZapPoke
Cowpoke

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:08 pm
ZapPoke wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:16 pm We all know that the so called Justice Department has devolved into the Democrat Stasi. They will say and do whatever Biden wants them to say or do.
How did I know this was going to come up? "Back the Blue! (Unless they do things we don't like, then defund the FBI!)"
WYO1016 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:08 pm
When the mayor of Casper politicizes the police to go after his opponents I will not “back the blue”. You are making a silly argument.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:52 am
This is incorrect.

It doesn't surprise me that you have Sh#t take on student loan forgiveness as all your takes are Sh#t.

State of emergency.

That sounds like... Semi-fascist or something to me.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

So, to put simply, because WY1016 posted the direct link to the law that was being questioned, you "refute" it by throwing out baseless accusations/conspiracy theories that you heard on facebook, than OAN, then whatever further right wing site you go to when those became "too left" (had to admit right wing conspiracies were wrong) for you.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:54 pm

So, to put simply, because WY1016 posted the direct link to the law that was being questioned, you "refute" it by throwing out baseless accusations/conspiracy theories that you heard on facebook, than OAN, then whatever further right wing site you go to when those became "too left" (had to admit right wing conspiracies were wrong) for you.
Try clicking on the link. It says Page Not Found. Furthermore, the link, when it worked, showed the DOJ opinion, hence my comment that they will say whatever Obiden wants them to say. It was their opinion.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Doesn't make it right. The action itself is indefensible regardless of the legal loopholes used to execute the action. Very similar to using budget reconciliation to pass legislation which is equally indefensible. Go nuclear and own it or don't.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:31 am
Doesn't make it right. The action itself is indefensible regardless of the legal loopholes used to execute the action. Very similar to using budget reconciliation to pass legislation which is equally indefensible. Go nuclear and own it or don't.
What isn't right about it? It's not right that tuition has skyrocketed so much that people are in debt for their entire careers.

The cap on this is $10k for anyone that earns less than $125k/year, so the doctors/lawyers/engineers camp mostly won't see it. It's $20k for people that had Pell grants, which you have to be flat broke to be able to get. That $125k/year cap still stands for that too, by the way.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the outrage of forgiving student loans when the feds gave $17.4 billion to GM and Chrysler in 2008. They also gave $651 billion in tax breaks to large corporations in 2020. When the feds pass out money to corporations no one seems to care. When they are actually helping individuals there is outrage all over the place. Seems pretty backwards to me.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:09 am
The cap on this is $10k for anyone that earns less than $125k/year, so the doctors/lawyers/engineers camp mostly won't see it.
Can't say anything about lawyers and engineers but doctors will qualify if they apply for it early on. Medical/surgical residents make between 55-65k a year for 3-7 years depending on what area of the country they're training in. Med school debt averages over 200k, so giving them 10k is a fart in the wind and really just a waste of money.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

What isn't right about it? It's not right that tuition has skyrocketed so much that people are in debt for their entire careers.

The cap on this is $10k for anyone that earns less than $125k/year, so the doctors/lawyers/engineers camp mostly won't see it. It's $20k for people that had Pell grants, which you have to be flat broke to be able to get. That $125k/year cap still stands for that too, by the way.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the outrage of forgiving student loans when the feds gave $17.4 billion to GM and Chrysler in 2008. They also gave $651 billion in tax breaks to large corporations in 2020. When the feds pass out money to corporations no one seems to care. When they are actually helping individuals there is outrage all over the place. Seems pretty backwards to me.
Signed a loan and knew the conditions. Like everyone else in the adult world, pay it back or don't take the loan. If it is such a problem, why isn't the problem fixed? Going to keep giving people free passes who take college loans out?

Trade school? Business loans? Forgiving loans is buying votes. It isn't forgiving anything. It's transferring debt from those who chose to take it to those who have no choice. There simply is no rational way to argue how it's right or fair.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:48 pm

Signed a loan and knew the conditions. Like everyone else in the adult world, pay it back or don't take the loan. If it is such a problem, why isn't the problem fixed? Going to keep giving people free passes who take college loans out?

Trade school? Business loans? Forgiving loans is buying votes. It isn't forgiving anything. It's transferring debt from those who chose to take it to those who have no choice. There simply is no rational way to argue how it's right or fair.
And both sides do it, so who the f-word cares.