Country Music - OT

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

So we had a conversation here a while back about how most of the new music is just the same old music being re-made, re-mixed or any other number of changes but very rare does it sound new.

Now I'm not really a country fan (it's growing on me) I use to be of certain country but not real big. Past few years I couldn't stand it because of certain artists. Lately I've been listening to it more and I hear a lot of comments from people about how certain groups that say they are country aren't country in their eyes.

FGL being one of the biggest names. Normally I wouldn't even involve myself in this but I'm generally a fan of all music and to me FGL is country but it's an edgy country not like your normal country and it doesn't sound bad.

The cross over that Nelly is doing is why I got into this conversation with some people. Some country fans are as against a rap artist releasing a country album. Anyone on here have any opinions on it?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

I have no idea what FGL means
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Florida Georgia Line
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

Getting drunk on a plane. Enough said
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Yeah, never really been much into it.

Though I feel bad for whoever is Taylor Swift's next ex-boyfriend. Considering some of her biggest hits come from ripping them up one side and down the other.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 43 times

fromolwyoming wrote:Though I feel bad for whoever is Taylor Swift's next ex-boyfriend. Considering some of her biggest hits come from ripping them up one side and down the other.
LOL There are rumors that she's a lesbian AND she has a relationship with one of the Victoria Secret models who looks almost like her like a doppelganger.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Some new country is ok, but I am listening to Chris Ledoux here at work. I can listen to George Strait, Ledoux, Sawyer Brown, etc most of time. This new age of country music seems like a lot of groups who couldn't make it elsewhere. Trying to carve a new niche. Most new country music is meh.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

djm19 wrote:Some new country is ok, but I am listening to Chris Ledoux here at work. I can listen to George Strait, Ledoux, Sawyer Brown, etc most of time. This new age of country music seems like a lot of groups who couldn't make it elsewhere. Trying to carve a new niche. Most new country music is meh.
Country music today is becoming more like pop music of the '90s. Used to be you could tell if a song was a country song or a pop song or whatever. But, now the lines that make them (songs) different have been blurred enough to where you can't tell anymore.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
djm19 wrote:Some new country is ok, but I am listening to Chris Ledoux here at work. I can listen to George Strait, Ledoux, Sawyer Brown, etc most of time. This new age of country music seems like a lot of groups who couldn't make it elsewhere. Trying to carve a new niche. Most new country music is meh.
Country music today is becoming more like pop music of the '90s. Used to be you could tell if a song was a country song or a pop song or whatever. But, now the lines that make them (songs) different have been blurred enough to where you can't tell anymore.
I don't think that line has blurred anymore now than any previous time but like other genres of music. Hiphop would be a prime example it spawned Rap, Gangsta Rap and a lot of other offshoot genres and country has that same thing happening. It's still country it's just a different type of it.

That is how I see it at least.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Wyokie wrote:
I have to agree. If this was the 90's, FGL would be considered alternative rock, not country IMO.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
I have to agree. If this was the 90's, FGL would be considered alternative rock, not country IMO.
Definitely not alternative that was where Green Day and Offspring made it happen and it's nothing like that, I suppose you could classify it as more of a southern rock but it still has a country beat.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

I think more like Shelton here. I don't like that pop country stuff. F*ck C*rb Records and those other labels like 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90nyz0GmWCw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe you Western Boys should listen to Western music.
:)
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

alyssa wrote:I think more like Shelton here. I don't like that pop country stuff. F*ck C*rb Records and those other labels like 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90nyz0GmWCw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe you Western Boys should listen to Western music.
I'm more into 1980s rock and 1980s country. Although one of the greatest country songs came out in 1977....Kenny Rogers' The Gambler! Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote:
alyssa wrote:I think more like Shelton here. I don't like that pop country stuff. F*ck C*rb Records and those other labels like 'em.

I'm more into 1980s rock and 1980s country. Although one of the greatest country songs came out in 1977....Kenny Rogers' The Gambler! Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
You know, I don't really like Kenny Rogers. There's just something that's not there for me.

OK I'm laughin' but maybe y'all like to dance with Annie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1iXQ_1TpA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

alyssa wrote:
Wyokie wrote:I'm more into 1980s rock and 1980s country. Although one of the greatest country songs came out in 1977....Kenny Rogers' The Gambler! Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
You know, I don't really like Kenny Rogers. There's just something that's not there for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1iXQ_1TpA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

That's way WAY before my time.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote:
alyssa wrote:
Wyokie wrote:I'm more into 1980s rock and 1980s country. Although one of the greatest country songs came out in 1977....Kenny Rogers' The Gambler! Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1iXQ_1TpA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's way WAY before my time.[/quote]

Yeah but I grew up with some entertainers and there was all kinds of songs everywhere. I think I still know some songs that came from records that came off the records on the back of cereal boxes. You know, kind of like cardboard records lol.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

alyssa wrote:Yeah but I grew up with some entertainers and there was all kinds of songs everywhere. I think I still know some songs that came from records that came off the records on the back of cereal boxes. You know, kind of like cardboard records lol.
Sadly I know what you are talking about. Gawd, I'm old.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote:
alyssa wrote:Yeah but I grew up with some entertainers and there was all kinds of songs everywhere. I think I still know some songs that came from records that came off the records on the back of cereal boxes. You know, kind of like cardboard records lol.
Sadly I know what you are talking about. Gawd, I'm old.
Like the Sugar Bears. I still may be able to work out the words etc. to song #5 of 5 called "Anyone But You" but I don't wanna. If played it I would be sayin' remember this? Isn't it funny?
I found the records on images.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

I was gonna start a thread but I'll just use this one.
I'm looking for some "new" songs to sing. I have always liked Tish Hinojosa singing "Crazy Wind and Flashing Yellows" written by James McMurtry (I don't know if I spelled his name right).

Do y'all like the song or is it too boring for y'all or whatever? See I'd like songs that aren't really well known.

Tish's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY3Df9lO8-o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

James'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow5Po40Xwdk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, Brantley Gilbert, etc. = Bro Country. The new phenomenon taking over tank top wearing, hair gelling, fist pumpin douches.

I think the best new aged country is Zac Brown and after hearing his new CD, Im not even sure if he qualifies as country.