Q for historian Wyokie

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Mr. Wyokie did your history degree teach you that some Southerners went to Brazil after the Civil War?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Today their descendants celebrate their ancestry with a festa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wcRYYFN7E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ-xK0W8iZg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are more videos on the internet.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

alyssa wrote:Mr. Wyokie did your history degree teach you that some Southerners went to Brazil after the Civil War?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Today their descendants celebrate their ancestry with a festa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wcRYYFN7E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ-xK0W8iZg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are more videos on the internet.
No I did not know that. Thank you for the information, ma'am.

EDIT: I just remembered a host of a travel show, The Americas, on PBS Create Channel talking about how a lot of former Confederates moved to Central and South America. Especially around Nicaragua. One in fact tried to turn a lot of the local poor people into slaves but they rebelled and he got killed for it.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

I was gonna talk some about some stuff but I changed my mind 'cause it was some Civil War stuff.

Did you see the video of Mr. Seymour, the guy who was on "I've Got A Secret" on TV in 1956, and is credited as an eyewitness to the Lincoln assassination. It's hard to see him in the video but there are articles too.
Lucille Ball was on the panel (I know you watched I Love Lucy) but she doesn't participate because Jayne Meadows guessed the secret first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_iq5yzJ-Dk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

alyssa wrote:I was gonna talk some about some stuff but I changed my mind 'cause it was some Civil War stuff.

Did you see the video of Mr. Seymour, the guy who was on "I've Got A Secret" on TV in 1956, and is credited as an eyewitness to the Lincoln assassination. It's hard to see him in the video but there are articles too.
Lucille Ball was on the panel (I know you watched I Love Lucy) but she doesn't participate because Jayne Meadows guessed the secret first.
Speaking of Jayne Meadows, she passed away on April 26, 2015. She was the wife of Steve Allen until his death in 2000.

Funny how you talking about the Civil War. 'Cos I volunteer at the Oklahoma History Center three times a week and right now they have me doing data entry of ALL the applications for membership into the Daughters of the Confederacy for the State of Oklahoma from as far back as the 1910s for every county in the state. Incidentally, there was a DOC Chapter in Casper where I'm from back during the 1940s-1950s that was called the Yellowstone Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy. The Chapter disbanded in the 1960s I believe.

The information I put in the computers will help people with their genealogy research into their families.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote:
alyssa wrote:I was gonna talk some about some stuff but I changed my mind 'cause it was some Civil War stuff.

Speaking of Jayne Meadows, she passed away on April 26, 2015. She was the wife of Steve Allen until his death in 2000.

Funny how you talking about the Civil War. 'Cos I volunteer at the Oklahoma History Center three times a week and right now they have me doing data entry of ALL the applications for membership into the Daughters of the Confederacy for the State of Oklahoma from as far back as the 1910s for every county in the state. Incidentally, there was a DOC Chapter in Casper where I'm from back during the 1940s-1950s that was called the Yellowstone Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy. The Chapter disbanded in the 1960s I believe.

The information I put in the computers will help people with their genealogy research into their families.
That's interesting. I've talked to a few old ladies before but very briefly who were DOC.
Yeah, I've been thinkin' again recently about some uncomfortable stuff like an older friend who is an entertainer, mostly singer. She is from the South (Virginia) and White and was bused to a black school and was targeted and hit a couple of times for being White. She's 6 feet tall and lanky. Finally, she got to change schools eventually. It came from that your family enslaved my family BS when her family didn't own slaves and most of her family fought on the North side and others in her family were not yet in America during that time.
I thought of that because of all the protesting and rioting goin' on.............

I've also been thinkin' of how many Afrikaners I know who have been living in the USA for 5 years and longer because of the Afrikaner farm murders taking place like crazy. One of my friends has been here for over five years but doesn't want to admit publicly that she is afraid to go back to her farm in South Africa.
In South Africa there are newer places like Orania and Kleinfontein where Afrikaners have made their own successful towns.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orania,_Northern_Cape" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleinfontein" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like to be aware of these things. I think it is because of my ancestors who were maltreated and forced to reservations etc. in the not too distant past.

I was thinking one symbols has different meanings to different people again recently.
I'm finding it pretty scary out there with all the fighting I'm seein' lately with the things that people fight about.

I'm so much fun right now! LOL.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Oh and some of this worry was set off by what happened in Garland, Texas where 2 guys came to shoot a lot of people at a drawing contest.

And I made a rare post on the championship subdivision website and some ASSHOLE said something to me like cute post next time let your husband post.
I told him f-word you dickless bitch.
I sometimes read what they are talkin' about. It had to come from someone with a name some like alpha and griz or something like that. Way to go Montana fan.

I thought this was funny from the Civil War Vets doing the rebel yell. Of course, they are old and well yeah....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jSqt39vFM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

alyssa wrote:Oh and some of this worry was set off by what happened in Garland, Texas where 2 guys came to shoot a lot of people at a drawing contest.

And I made a rare post on the championship subdivision website and some ASSHOLE said something to me like cute post next time let your husband post.
I told him f-word you dickless bitch.
I sometimes read what they are talkin' about. It had to come from someone with a name some like alpha and griz or something like that. Way to go Montana fan.
Now be nice, ma'am, Mr. Titliest is a Montana alum but is from WYOMING.
I thought this was funny from the Civil War Vets doing the rebel yell. Of course, they are old and well yeah....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jSqt39vFM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They still do that at SEC stadiums mainly at Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Hell, the SEC is the South's revenge for losing the Civil War.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Now be nice, ma'am, Mr. Titliest is a Montana alum but is from WYOMING.

Yeah, some of the South still does that rebel yell stuff but it's kind of funny watching the old guys do it.
69er (John) told me to stop watching the news. That's true that I will watch the news until I worry myself too much.
And that Grizzly guy is a coward. He'd be down before he knew he was hit!! LOL. Those guys over there are pretty nasty. That's why I only have about 45 posts.
Yeah, I remember that Mr. T is an alum. I'd fight that Griz one loser or whatever his name is, LOL.
What set me off was the word 'husband" LOL!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

alyssa wrote:What set me off was the word 'husband" LOL!!
I could see that setting off a woman. :lol: Me...I'm all about equality. I take my homestate's nickname, the Equality State, very seriously.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

I've seen part of something on the history channel called "Avenging the Alamo: The Road to Texas Rising". Now there is something called "Texas Rising". I haven't watched it. I don't know if I will watch it but it's interesting to me.
Some of my ancestors through my mom's side were in Texas a "long time ago". They were here under many flags.

Are you watching it or going to watch it on the history channel Mr. Historian Wyokie?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

alyssa wrote:Are you watching it or going to watch it on the history channel Mr. Historian Wyokie?
I'm not but my father is watching the whole miniseries. My parents have the series DVR'd.

My favorite history is anything on WYOMING, the U. S. Constitutional Convention, the American Revolution, and World War II.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote:
alyssa wrote:Are you watching it or going to watch it on the history channel Mr. Historian Wyokie?
I'm not but my father is watching the whole miniseries. My parents have the series DVR'd.

My favorite history is anything on WYOMING, the U. S. Constitutional Convention, the American Revolution, and World War II.
Oh. But there's so much more out there! You can broaden your hysterical knowledge. I had some language courses with WW II concentration camps survivors before and WW II soldiers etc. I really liked them and had a lot of respect for them. There were things about them that I envied too. But I didn't have any courses with any American Revolution survivors though.

Later dude. I'm gonna do some vocal practices and opera stuff right now.
And the thunder and lightning is here!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

alyssa wrote:
Wyokie wrote:

Oh. But there's so much more out there! You can broaden your hysterical knowledge. I had some language courses with WW II concentration camps survivors before and WW II soldiers etc. I really liked them and had a lot of respect for them. There were things about them that I envied too. But I didn't have any courses with any American Revolution survivors though.
I love reading about WWII partly since my grandfather was a part of the landing force on D-Day. But I only read about the Holocaust no more than once a year. Needs to be read and remembered but damned depressing at how LOW humanity can go in destroying part of its' own kind.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Parts of the American History are not that shiny either.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

WYCowboy wrote:Parts of the American History are not that shiny either.
No but least we didn't gas anyone to death....well....outside of the death penalty.