Farmers: Curious How You Feel About...

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

This issue: http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I think it's absolutely horrible, but I love to tinker and repair my own things rather than spending tons of money letting somebody "licensed" do it.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Personally, I'm not rich enough for the newer JD tech. My newest tractor is a 94. But honestly, this is down right stupid of them, what farmer is not going to work on THEIR equipment.
I don't know if I want to support JD if this passes. I might go for another color than JD green. It's not going to be worth the hastle. I mean even now, if I have a repair that is beyond me I have to wait almost three days for our BTI JD mech to come and work on the problem. I can't imagine the wait, if we had to go through them for every damn thing!
And General Motors, seriously?! You make it a point to screw yourself time and again. Geeze, so I guess if I chose to buy a GM car I can go into the dealership and tell them I just want to borrow a car, because my paying for it and tagging it, and being taxed on it, and having the title myself is not enough to be called the owner of the vehicle. And then when in my possession I'm not allowed to take care of my own vehicle?
What will they think up next. I guess I'm just borrowing my house, my property, my powertools, etc. Can't own a thing anymore.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:Personally, I'm not rich enough for the newer JD tech. My newest tractor is a 94. But honestly, this is down right stupid of them, what farmer is not going to work on THEIR equipment.
I don't know if I want to support JD if this passes. I might go for another color than JD green. It's not going to be worth the hastle. I mean even now, if I have a repair that is beyond me I have to wait almost three days for our BTI JD mech to come and work on the problem. I can't imagine the wait, if we had to go through them for every damn thing!
And General Motors, seriously?! You make it a point to screw yourself time and again. Geeze, so I guess if I chose to buy a GM car I can go into the dealership and tell them I just want to borrow a car, because my paying for it and tagging it, and being taxed on it, and having the title myself is not enough to be called the owner of the vehicle. And then when in my possession I'm not allowed to take care of my own vehicle?
What will they think up next. I guess I'm just borrowing my house, my property, my powertools, etc. Can't own a thing anymore.
This was exactly how I felt about it too - and I believe not only don't you own the things you buy if ALL of this passes, but you could also be in serious trouble if you even TRIED to fix it yourself and they found out. Which, it's not that big of a step to have something that's always connected to the new "Internet of Things" that would essentially tattle on you.

I wonder if this will make old equipment more valuable?
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:Personally, I'm not rich enough for the newer JD tech. My newest tractor is a 94. But honestly, this is down right stupid of them, what farmer is not going to work on THEIR equipment.
This was exactly how I felt about it too - and I believe not only don't you own the things you buy if ALL of this passes, but you could also be in serious trouble if you even TRIED to fix it yourself and they found out. Which, it's not that big of a step to have something that's always connected to the new "Internet of Things" that would essentially tattle on you.

I wonder if this will make old equipment more valuable?
It probably will. The older farmers will be wanting something tangible that they can use without any delay. Younger farmers? Who knows how they think. I mean I'm 30 and definitely not a fan of this. It will waste each farmers time drastically to have to wait for parts or a mechanic. And then most of all we just added another huge annual expense to the budget. Instead of saving several thousand dollars fixing your tractor yourself, you now have to add in not only the part(s) but also spend thousands of dollars more on paying the mechanic. Just another way to screw the farmer...
But don't worry, city folk can get in on being screwed by now having cars that are no longer theirs, just barrowed. Spend more money on your car than necessary.
This is for the birds!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Guess we're just all going to have to drive Teslas, since they're pretty much the only car brand speaking out against this... then again, in many states car companies have worked to successfully ban the sales of Tesla as well since they don't use traditional dealers.

Too bad I can't afford one anyway.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

It may not be the "Wyoming" or "Cowboy" way, but f-word it...if I could afford a Tesla, I'd buy one, those cars are bad ass.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:It may not be the "Wyoming" or "Cowboy" way, but f-word it...if I could afford a Tesla, I'd buy one, those cars are bad ass.
Agreed. Got to play around with one at the Denver Auto Show last year. I need one!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:It may not be the "Wyoming" or "Cowboy" way, but f-word it...if I could afford a Tesla, I'd buy one, those cars are bad ass.
Well, there's at least some history with Tesla and Cowboys...

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Only time I ever saw a Tesla was the rock band who opened for Def Leppard in Casper on July 4, 1988. Great concert btw,.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:This issue: http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I think it's absolutely horrible, but I love to tinker and repair my own things rather than spending tons of money letting somebody "licensed" do it.
I don't like it.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

I can afford one and I don't have one.
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

If only John Deere and their who tech support/technicians department would address, and take necessary steps to correct problems, they wouldn't be in this hole. Btw JD should be turned into the better business bureau for those departments.