Coming to University of Wyoming for masters

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
CountryRoadsNate
Buckaroo

Hey y'all, first off my names Nate an I'm from West Virginia, I'm currently looking into the University of Wyoming for my masters an I figured this would be the best place to get insight,opinions, what I should expect an what life is like in Laramie. So have it an let me know anything an everything will be appreciated! Thanks
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Welcome to Wyoming! I know from experience that WV is a bit different than Wyoming. My mom lives in Huntington.
W-Y, Until I Die!
CountryRoadsNate
Buckaroo

hopefully she's not a Marshall fan, kidding. How much different is the weather?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Hello. Laramie native here. Laramie is pretty much paradise weather-wise from June to mid September, any time outside of this range you never know what you are going to get, but if it were like the front range weather-wise we'd be overrun with yuppie douches. Hearty people live in Laramie.

Laramie is not a big city, but it is within 2.5-3 hours of anything I could ever want civilization-wise so to me it's perfect. Laramie is a great place for outdoor enthusiasts with Vedauwoo to the east and the Snowy Range to the west.

I love it there and will be moving back, too, soon so my wife can go to pharm school this fall. Very excited to be back close to family and my Pokes. Laramie is the best of both worlds in my eyes: small town feel still with plenty to do. Small town with excellent university and D-1 athletics? At least for me that's pretty dang good, but I may like Laramie so much because I grew up there and liked it a lot. :twocents:
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CountryRoadsNate
Buckaroo

Thanks Landerpoke, sounds a lot like Morgantown or WVU where I'm graduating this spring. How is the bar scene? We like to drink a fair amount in Morgantown, an being from West Virginia I do love the outdoors as we don't have much else to do besides hunt an fish.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Got a quick question for ya, CountryRoadsNate,

How does the folks in West Virginia like being a part of the Big 12?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
CountryRoadsNate
Buckaroo

Wyokie for the most part we are split hate the travel, love the competition, wish we had a regional opponent adding Cincinnati an East Carolina would be nice, however doubt Texas an Oklahoma ever let that happen. The B12 has allowed us to grow in athletics far more than the Big East ever would have let us. In a perfect world we would be in the SEC where we belong.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

CountryRoadsNate wrote:Wyokie for the most part we are split hate the travel, love the competition, wish we had a regional opponent adding Cincinnati an East Carolina would be nice, however doubt Texas an Oklahoma ever let that happen. The B12 has allowed us to grow in athletics far more than the Big East ever would have let us. In a perfect world we would be in the SEC where we belong.
The Big 12 made the biggest mistake ever by not inviting Louisville. SEC doesn't feel right for WVU. Either the ACC or the American is better fit for WVU.

I live in OKC and most people here aren't crazy about having the Mountaineers in the conference.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
CountryRoadsNate
Buckaroo

Wyokie even with Louisville thats still only 11 I guess you could say Louisville Cincy an WVU all would have joined then. In my opinion the American is to weak, an the ACC wouldn't take us academics aren't up to par. The school has no problem spending all our money on athletics though so the B12 an SEC seem like the best fit at least for now. We would never accept a B10 invitation even if they offered one. Lots of bad blood between WVU an Penn State also OSU because of them refusing to schedule us. Maryland is our biggest rival an we get them every year so the B10 is pointless.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

CountryRoadsNate wrote:Thanks Landerpoke, sounds a lot like Morgantown or WVU where I'm graduating this spring. How is the bar scene? We like to drink a fair amount in Morgantown, an being from West Virginia I do love the outdoors as we don't have much else to do besides hunt an fish.
Laramie has 30,000 people (20,000 during the summer) and 21 bars/liquor stores. Tailgating at football games is also a way for many to drink.

So overall, not a whole lot of difference. It's a quiet town, and close enough to a major city that if you need anything Laramie doesn't have (or even Cheyenne), Denver is just a 2 1/3-3 hour drive away. Fishing and hiking are to be had a plenty in the surrounding areas. In town, there is a movie theater, bowling alley, and a number of bars. Just watch yourself for the first few weeks here while drinking. Laramie is 7,220 feet above sea level. It takes time to adapt. Even people from other "high elevation" places sometimes need the time to adapt.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

WV! Couch burnin' and ginseng....
CountryRoadsNate
Buckaroo

we do burn couches alyssa YEEYEEE! :D :thumb:
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

If you're an outdoorsy kind of person, you'll be in heaven. Laramie is within minutes of some of the best fly fishing in the world, the hiking and biking trails are endless, and the sheer beauty of this is state is unmatchable. In the winter, winter sports are under an hour from Laramie. Skiing and snowmobiling are easily accessible and fantastic.

If you are not a outdoorsy person but a city person who loves city perks, you may hate it in Laramie. There is isn't much in the way of night life except for the Buckhorn bar....

Hope Wyoming works for you and you fall in love with the state and the Cowboys. It can easily get in your blood and will stay there forever if you let it. Welcome!