John Fox...FIRED!

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

What do you all think?

Myself, I think he's a nice guy who needed to go. Time to get an innovator in a league that has passed him by.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.2075297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

He got them to the play-offs every year. And honestly, the game against the Colts, that falls on the offense (Fox is a defensive guy), which barely had over 200 yards despite a couple of INTs. Some bad drops and continuing to throw the ball deep and not changing it up (no adjustments from the OC, where have I seen that before?) ultimately doomed them. And Manning did not have a good game either.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

This is shades of Schottenheimer in San Diego. The grass ain't always greener, Denver. I predict next season will not be pretty for them.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Bye, John!
ImageImageImageImage
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

He will get picked up instantly, Letting someone go with the best winning percent in team history, There has to be more to it than this season.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

His teams were soft, usually.
ImageImageImageImage
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

His biggest curse was having Peyton as a QB. I love Manning, he is a GREAT regular season QB; but in the playoffs...he bad.

Case in point: Peyton Manning has 9 career one-and-done playoff runs...no other QB in NFL history has more than 4.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

Not a surprise to me. Somebody had to take the blame for not living up to team expectations. When a franchise has Peyton Manning, a Top 5 offense & Top 5 defense, and a great home field advantage, going to the Super Bowl is what must happen. Didn't help that in Fox's tenure, the Broncos lost games in the playoffs in a "choke" manner. Example - Sunday's defeat & getting blown out in SB XLVIII.

At the end of the day, Elway was not going to get rid of Manning or step down. So Fox had to take it. I do wish him well. No doubt he will be employed again soon.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:His biggest curse was having Peyton as a QB. I love Manning, he is a GREAT regular season QB; but in the playoffs...he bad.

Case in point: Peyton Manning has 9 career one-and-done playoff runs...no other QB in NFL history has more than 4.
+1 million. Terry Bradshaw was right on the money on his comments months ago about this.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

WestWYOPoke wrote:His biggest curse was having Peyton as a QB. I love Manning, he is a GREAT regular season QB; but in the playoffs...he bad.

Isn't there 53 players on a team? It wasn't Peyton Manning who couldn't beat press coverage. It wasn't Peyton Manning not getting an Andrew Luck's face. It wasn't Peyton Manning who stopped running CJ Anderson when he was gaining yards. It wasn't Peyton Manning who chose to drop seven in to coverage most of the game. It wasn't Peyton Manning who took away the middle of the field. It's plain and simple being out-coached. Chuck Pagano's defensive staff took the Seahawk Super Bowl game plan and beat the Broncos over the head, and Adam Gase didn't learn a single thing from that SB last year.
ImageImageImageImage
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

No, but it was Peyton who consistently was over throwing and under throwing his passes. It was Peyton who, just like in 2013 against the Ravens, was having very obvious accuracy issues for the majority of the game regardless of the coverage and even, to a lesser extent, the defensive pressure placed upon him. Again, I like Peyton, he's a great player, but I've been saying since his Colt days, he is not a clutch QB nor a good playoff QB. I am befuddled by Denver fans (or anyone else for that matter) trying to defend him and say the contrary when the statistics and visible evidence clearly back up what I've been saying.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Defense wins championships in the post-season.. when you base your team around one player, and an offense, things usually go off the rails. Every team Peyton has played on has done this.. and despite the Broncos having a highly ranked defense this year Del Rio went away from what made the Broncos defense great this year.. not getting pressure on the QB with Ware and Miller, and letting the three all-pros in the secondary do what they do. Luck literally had all day to make plays. This was prob the best defense Peyton's had with a team in his career and they couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.

Also.. overthrowing was a product of the Colts forcing the Broncos into tossing fade routes down the sidelines.. there wasn't anything else remotely open, and even then, DT was barely open on one or two of those shots.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I knew it had to be something related to that egomaniac Elway and it was they didn't see eye to eye on how to get to the next level. They better look log and hard for a coach it's not going to be easy to find one tat will win instantly.

Donkies defense this year reminded me of the Dallas Defense last year, Over payed played under performing.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:No, but it was Peyton who consistently was over throwing and under throwing his passes. It was Peyton who, just like in 2013 against the Ravens, was having very obvious accuracy issues for the majority of the game regardless of the coverage and even, to a lesser extent, the defensive pressure placed upon him. Again, I like Peyton, he's a great player, but I've been saying since his Colt days, he is not a clutch QB nor a good playoff QB. I am befuddled by Denver fans (or anyone else for that matter) trying to defend him and say the contrary when the statistics and visible evidence clearly back up what I've been saying.
Clearly injured throughout the last portion of the season. There is nobody to blame. Very few teams are going to survive an injury to their QB and keep going. The Broncos in particular are built around having a productive passing attack. That's football. Injuries happen and rosters fluctuate. It's why it is so hard to build consistency. What New England has done if frankly amazing however they haven't won a Super Bowl in over a decade even with Brady in his prime and Belichick pulling all the strings.

A lot of things have to go right to win the Super Bowl and it wasn't in the cards for the Broncos this year.

It's not like the Broncos had the chance to get Aaron Rodgers or something. They had Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton. Manning has been fantastic in Denver, but he played hurt the last few weeks of the season and it was plainly obvious. Once it became obvious that he couldn't make the throws anymore, the defenses took the middle away and played press coverage.

Manning will always belong to the Colts, so even as a Bronco fan I have no real desire to defend his overall legacy whatever it may be, but he has been a fantastic addition to the Broncos and the last 3 years have been the most fun as a Bronco fan since the Terrel Davis/John Elway days. What more can I ask for as a fan? There is nobody else the Broncos could have signed or drafted over the last 3 years that I would rather have.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote:No, but it was Peyton who consistently was over throwing and under throwing his passes. It was Peyton who, just like in 2013 against the Ravens, was having very obvious accuracy issues for the majority of the game regardless of the coverage and even, to a lesser extent, the defensive pressure placed upon him. Again, I like Peyton, he's a great player, but I've been saying since his Colt days, he is not a clutch QB nor a good playoff QB. I am befuddled by Denver fans (or anyone else for that matter) trying to defend him and say the contrary when the statistics and visible evidence clearly back up what I've been saying.
You are correct. Peyton Manning simply did not play his best game. Particularly in a game with extremely large implications. While that certainly does not help Denver, it cannot exist as the sole reason for defeat. The offense had opportunities. The defense kept them in the game. Unfortunately, Indy did just enough to win. I agree it's not all on Manning. But for him to not play well like this, he deserves some of the blame.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

John Fox is now head coach of the Bears. Not surprised he soon found work. Any thoughts on his prospects in Chicago?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Provided he has something to work with on defense and a decent o-line, probably the play-offs. He did it with Tebow at the helm in Denver.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

The defense was awful last year, particularly against the run. I think Fox is fairly focused on defense, so it should receive priority and a high level of attention.

There's also the Jay Cutler situation. He was benched for a game late last year for Jimmy Clausen. I imagine Fox sticks with Cutler. If he doesn't that could be an issue for the Bears. I'd say they are fine at RB with Forte.