In Heaven There is no Beer

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

This is kind of random, but...

as you may know, I'm one of those Euro turds. I used to make fun of American beer, until in 2003 (I believe), a friend introduced me to the phenomenon that is American craft beer when we had dinner at Altitude.

Fast forward a decade, and I'm loving trying new microbrew/craft beers, and living in Colorado is awesome for that, especially since the company I work for has a couple of kegerators. It's one of the best work benefits I've ever had.

But... I know nothing about Wyoming beers, and as I'm hoping to bring a bunch of my childhood friends through Wyoming one of these days, I would love to give them the full experience.

So, what do you like to drink that's local? Hell, even if you don't live in Wyoming, what do you drink? And if you drink Whiskey instead/too, what floats your boat?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Altitude is hands down the best craft beer in Wyoming, in my opinion. Cheyenne has a couple of micro breweries, but they don't hold a candle to Altitude. As far as favorites, I'm big on O'Dell and Left Hand Brewery.

Stranahan's in Denver makes a hell of a good whiskey. It's a little sweet, but it's damn tasty.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Can't really help. Not a big drinker.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote:Altitude is hands down the best craft beer in Wyoming, in my opinion. Cheyenne has a couple of micro breweries, but they don't hold a candle to Altitude. As far as favorites, I'm big on O'Dell and Left Hand Brewery.

Stranahan's in Denver makes a hell of a good whiskey. It's a little sweet, but it's damn tasty.
Those are my two favorites too, and not exactly randomly, I have beer from both in the fridge currently (5 Barrel Pale Ale and Milk Stout).

I do enjoy Altitude's beer whenever I'm in Laramie too. It's got a special place in my heart, since that's where my beer snobbery was born.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:Altitude is hands down the best craft beer in Wyoming, in my opinion. Cheyenne has a couple of micro breweries, but they don't hold a candle to Altitude. As far as favorites, I'm big on O'Dell and Left Hand Brewery.

Those are my two favorites too, and not exactly randomly, I have beer from both in the fridge currently (5 Barrel Pale Ale and Milk Stout).

I do enjoy Altitude's beer whenever I'm in Laramie too. It's got a special place in my heart, since that's where my beer snobbery was born.
Left Handed Milk Stout is one of my favorites. I haven't made it down to the brewery yet, but it's on my to-do list for the summer.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote:Left Handed Milk Stout is one of my favorites. I haven't made it down to the brewery yet, but it's on my to-do list for the summer.
It's a pretty nice spot in an ugly part of Longmont. I don't know what their food truck/stand schedule is like at the moment, but I'd try and go at a time when they had tacos or something there. Also, I'd recommend stopping by Mountain Sun (about to open a brew restaurant on Main Street (US 287)), as their beer is very solid too, and if you're in Longmont anyway, it sure beats driving down to their location in Boulder.

Also, if you're planning on trying more than one of the stronger Left Hand brews (Like Fade to Black and Wake Up Dead), you probably want to figure out what to do about transportation that day. They hit you pretty hard, and you don't want to drive after a couple of those.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:It's a pretty nice spot in an ugly part of Longmont. I don't know what their food truck/stand schedule is like at the moment, but I'd try and go at a time when they had tacos or something there. Also, I'd recommend stopping by Mountain Sun (about to open a brew restaurant on Main Street (US 287)), as their beer is very solid too, and if you're in Longmont anyway, it sure beats driving down to their location in Boulder.

Also, if you're planning on trying more than one of the stronger Left Hand brews (Like Fade to Black and Wake Up Dead), you probably want to figure out what to do about transportation that day. They hit you pretty hard, and you don't want to drive after a couple of those.
I've got a buddy that lives in Frederick, so it'll be on a weekend I hang out with him down there. Thanks for the advice! I made it to the Pumphouse in January, but their owner forgot to resubmit for their liquor license. Food was awesome, but I was disappointed that I didn't get to try any of their beers.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Yeah, Pumphouse screwed up big time. Their beer is nothing special (in my opinion), though, so you didn't miss all that much. Then again, it's fun just to try new things.

Oh! And I need to mention Bootstrap in Niwot and Asher in Gunbarrel too - both quickly growing because they brew very solid beer. Avery is also building a huge new place in Gunbarrel like 500 feet away from Asher, so you'll be able to hit both at the same time without driving in between (unless you want to move your car, essentially). The company I work for (SparkFun) is within walking distance of Asher, but is soon moving closer to Bootstrap instead, as we're building a new building across from IBM by Niwot).
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Loveland has a couple of nice breweries not too far from the interstate. Verboten and Grimm Brothers. But, still like the nitro milk stout from Left Hand the best...
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

I don't drink alcohol. I was raised around too many alcoholics to be interested in it.
Oh I drink tea and water. Rarely I drink chocolate milk. I'm getting bad again though because this year I've drank some cokes.
I'm exciting in different ways.