How are you doing?

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Anybody else going a bit stir-crazy? Worrying about the economy long term? Did you get laid off?

Vent here! Or don't.

I miss discussing spring football with you guys and hearing what's going on with the team, but either way, I want to know what's going on with everybody regardless. Even though I don't know you guys in person, you're Pokes fans, which means you're good people.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

I work from home.. I've been ahead of this social distancing for a while! My team has been building wireless network to go into Covid testing tents that are in parking lots, etc. We're doing some pretty cutting edge and cool stuff. We put up pretty good sized tents in Medford, OR and Mission Viejo, CA last week.

I'm waiting for an appropriate buying time in the stock market. Good time to eventually make some money. I don't miss football yet, this time of year I always feel like I need a break from the non-stop coverage of it. I did watch some marble racing and Golden Tee Golf on ESPN8 yesterday though.

One of the grocery stores in Missoula last week was pretty well stocked up, so that's a plus. I went to Home Depot and bought a poop load of house project things to do in case they shut us in completely. Weird times we live in!

Hope you guys out there are all doing well and getting through this!
ImageImageImageImage
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

I work in tourism, so things aren't great at the moment. Luckily I'm considered essential to getting us back on track after all of this is over, so my job is safe.

Industry wide this is a worst-case scenario. We were looking at a record year for tourism in Wyoming and Laramie County. The new state lodging tax that was put into place to help offset the continued losses of the energy sector isn't going to have the effect it was projected to have. We're very concerned in Cheyenne that Frontier Days may be cancelled this year. It's still early, but if these shelter orders stay in place much past April 15th that could be the reality.

On the plus side, Google Stadia kicks ass! I've been playing the crap out of it for the past couple of weeks. I'm never buying another console.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 am On the plus side, Google Stadia kicks A$$! I've been playing the crap out of it for the past couple of weeks. I'm never buying another console.
You obviously don't have a Switch.
ImageImageImageImage
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:02 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 am On the plus side, Google Stadia kicks A$$! I've been playing the crap out of it for the past couple of weeks. I'm never buying another console.
You obviously don't have a Switch.
Nor do I need one. Wife wants to watch TV? Plug my controller into any laptop and go nuts! Bored in the airport? Hook that controller up to my phone and run a few races in GRID. Game just got a 40 Gb patch? That's already been taken care of on the back end. No waiting for a download! Seriously worth trying out.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Work(ed) as travel consultant at FEWarren AFB but as of last Tuesday I'm on layoff status, starting April 1st only working 2 day work weeks, unemployment upcoming etc....it truly sucks as no Military travel til mid May, im looking for other work but it'll be tough sigh, feels like something outta a strange weird movie....i try to go fishing when it's nice, but really going stir crazy for sure, cant wait for spring to truly get her
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Honestly? Been doing "quarantine" since January, but that was because of ankle surgery. So, really, its just extending what I was already doing to begin with.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Got furloughed on Friday. Unemployment should be a raise, though, so that's nice. I'm scheduled to go back to work on June 1. This has HAMMERED the tourism industry, which I work in. Our budget is looking like it will hit about 40% of projected.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

I feel for you all that got furloughed or layed off. Sucks. I'm getting extended past my 6 months in Afghanistan. Not sure when I'm getting home at this point..6 months will likely turn into 8-9, but who knows. Hard to explain it to my kids.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

Sorry to hear for those laid off. I hope the situations turns better for those folks.

I'm good, hanging in there. I work in the Lab in the chemical manufacturing industry, so I am considered essential. There is no way we would ever get shut down. However, with the downturn in the economy, all the OT has been cut. I will say it has been nice working my regular shift and getting my days off.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Nothing much has changed here for me in the DFW area.
I'm in a smaller town and I go outside and train, going on runs, etc. I'm writing some.

I miss seeing the kids, the nephews and nieces, and the great-nephews and great-nieces.
Four of them are 5 years-old and younger and I had the three older ones speaking Chahta and Spanish. The four-year-olds, I had started teaching them Italian, and then six months ago my nephew moved and now I don't get to see my great-nephew.

The others are being kept away too much too. They are only hearing English and some Spanish, really. So I'm upset about that. It brought me great joy when the babies would speak to me in Chahta without me speaking it to them first.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

We just had pay cuts announced today, but that was after HR reached out to each of us individually to let us know. It sucks, but we can deal with it, and it's infinitely better than layoffs and losing colleagues.

Leadership took a 30% pay cut, anybody making under $85k got a 5% cut, and then varying percentages for all salary ranges between those two. Pretty cool that they recognize it's harder for those making less to make ends meet, especially in the Boulder area. I was fine with losing 10% for now. Hopefully it's only for a quarter. I'm definitely blessed in that we had been fairly fiscally responsible as a family for a while, so we have at least a bit of a cushion.

It's incredibly scary to realize how easy it is to be completely screwed even if you're responsible, though. You lose your job, and suddenly that health insurance is going to be crazy expensive, and then if something happens, you still have a huge deductible to come up with on top of having the health issues.

I don't think Bernie's dreams are realistic when everybody in the healthcare chain wants to make a healthy (hurr hurr) profit, and you can't suddenly have the government foot the bill because everybody will try to take advantage of the cash cow, but man... something needs to happen. Who knows what, though?

Anyway, best of luck to all you who are feeling the squeeze. Hopefully this won't last too many more months.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Took a job at Sportsman's Warehouse in Cheyenne and dropped the manager tag in fishing so just a peeon and cut hours during the best sales year ever, yeah that makes sense. Was spozed to go back to base job Sept 1, but travel is not moving their needle so they are saying Jan.1, so took a doordash job(kinda fun) until i figure something out, damn covid bs
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:59 am Got furloughed on Friday. Unemployment should be a raise, though, so that's nice. I'm scheduled to go back to work on June 1. This has HAMMERED the tourism industry, which I work in. Our budget is looking like it will hit about 40% of projected.
Following up on this. Furlough turned into a significant pay cut and drastic change of job duties. Couldn't take the cut and had to resign. Luckily I landed on my feet with the Department of Insurance.