New Forum, New Smack

Keep it clean, but this is the place if you want to smack talk!
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

How many times has Virginia been on the Cover of Sports Illustrated?
hoosgonnabeatwyo?
Buckaroo

Kansan Cowboy! wrote:How many times has Virginia been on the Cover of Sports Illustrated?
I hope that's an honest question and not sarcasm. Ralph Sampson owned the Sports Illustrated cover for a good four years. As for football I'm not sure. How many Pokes have succeeded in the NFL?
Thought it would add this to increase some of your inferiority complexes

dapokes
Ranch Hand

Also, I hope thats a serious question.
One you may have heard of is Jay Novacek. He was an all-american TE for us for after setting an NCAA record for recieving yds per catch by a tight end. That season (1984) he had 83 grabs with over 1,500 yds and 10 TDs. That same year he was also all american in track. Professionally, he was mainly known for in his contribution of helping the Dallas Cowboys getting 3 rings. He was a 5-time pro bowler, being selected each year from '91-'95..all this isn't bad for a 6th round pick, huh? (btw John Wendling was drafted in that round this year, and was one of the steals of the later rounds)
For more about our current pros, check out the 'wyoming in the pros' under the football section.
UVAMan04
Buckaroo

Based on what I've read, tttgowyo I want to thank you for saying you will root for VT this year. You seem like the type that will fit right in. Remember though, you will only have one brief season to be their fan. Like them, you will live in shame and talk about nothing but football the rest of the year. Like North Carolinas battle cry "WTBBS", VT's is "WTFBS".

WTBBS = Wait Till Basketball Season
WTFBS = (?)

Can you fill in the (?)? If not, then you truely will qualify as a Hokie supporter, i.e. not the sharpest crayon in the box. :)
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Umm, you guys split last season in bball... and they had one more win that you guys did..seems they got you there man. Just stating the facts.
UVAMan04
Buckaroo

We were co-champions of the regular season in BB with UNC. Their BB has improved and the ACC has mandated that they improve in all Olympic sports. As a general rule though, they suck in everything but FB. Now if you want to nit pick, they have had a couple good wrestling teams and an occasional winner here and there, like last year they did have a swimming and diving individual national champion or something along that line. But, as a rule... they suck. I grew up 8 miles from VT... there is NOTHING there (besides some beautiful countryside) but football. The closest Professional sports are in DC, Atlanta and Charlotte. VT football is everything to them. I have no problem with that, only when people somehow think VT is all that because they are an ESPN darling in football. This year will be especially sickening as somehow everyone thinks the football team deserves some special recognition because of the tragedy that occurred there. It rocked the student body, the families of those slain but in no way has anything to do with the football team. However, they will use it to their advantage. My heart goes out to those actually touched by that tragedy. Sorry, I ranted.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

UVAMan04 wrote:We were co-champions of the regular season in BB with UNC. Their BB has improved and the ACC has mandated that they improve in all Olympic sports. As a general rule though, they suck in everything but FB. Now if you want to nit pick, they have had a couple good wrestling teams and an occasional winner here and there, like last year they did have a swimming and diving individual national champion or something along that line. But, as a rule... they suck. I grew up 8 miles from VT... there is NOTHING there (besides some beautiful countryside) but football. The closest Professional sports are in DC, Atlanta and Charlotte. VT football is everything to them. I have no problem with that, only when people somehow think VT is all that because they are an ESPN darling in football. This year will be especially sickening as somehow everyone thinks the football team deserves some special recognition because of the tragedy that occurred there. It rocked the student body, the families of those slain but in no way has anything to do with the football team. However, they will use it to their advantage. My heart goes out to those actually touched by that tragedy. Sorry, I ranted.
Breathe in........

......breathe out. :rant:
ImageImageImageImage
Irish Hokie
Buckaroo

Why thank-you for the sentiments hoo man! To the point of your previous posts, just a few thoughts to share with you and the Pokes (by the way, thanks for your kind words in your most recent post):

* I agree with Mr. Titleist, I think some breathing exercises are in great need...

* I am on the planning committee at VT involved in the construction of an new football only practice facility .. The Pokes new indoor facility is actually one of the facilities we have reviewed, along with a few others including the new one at Iowa State. I have had the opportunity see the Pokes committment to their program through this new facility, which was the point of one of my original posts. The Charles Rector field house at VT can in no way be described in this capacity as it is more of a track and field facility...You can't kick the ball very well due to the low ceiling, etc.

* Also, since I was born at VT, my parents went to VT, went to Grad school at VT, I know a thing about our campus...which is absolutely beautiful and the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere makes us very happy, thank-you very much.

* Have been a season ticket holder at VT for over 10 years, and am on several Hokie Club planning committees as well...to your point that I know nothing about VT or Wyoming.

* To that end; I have been to 3 Poke FB games over the years, including the great bowl game victory over UCLA, compliments of Casey Bramlett, the Poke QB...I have also been to the WAR, and it really does present a home field advantage especially to foes coming in from the east who aren't prepared for the different environs, challenges that are presented here...Again, I have always liked the Pokes and have followed them consistently over the years. Especially that great Bball team led by Fennis Dembo!!! What a name!

Now, onto the game: Pokes 17 Hoos 10...and here's why:

I know the Hoos are downplaying the altitude, but trust me, the environment in Laramie is surreal like, and given its high altitude, let alone the travel into and out of Laramie (which is not easy to get to), will definitely have an impact on the Hoos. The Wyoming D is vastly underrated, and will crowd the line and put 8 in the box, forcing Sewell to win via the air...Problem is, he's not a passer (yet..), and the Hoo wide outs are unproven, and do not posses the speed necessary to beat Wyoming consistently. I also think the Hoos are hoping their D will win the game, and there's a chance that could occur, but I see Wyoming wearing down the Hoos deep into the 3rd/4th quarters, where Sween and Moore will have the greatest impact. Sween will throw for over 200 yards, and Joe Glenn will have a great gameplan put together, who again is being underestimated. A late Poke TD followed by a late tunrover by UVA will seal the deal for the Pokes...

Long post, so fire away...
UVAMan04
Buckaroo

Amazing how that "low ceiling" accomodated the practices I've watched in the field house. While I cannot argue your ascertion that VT is considering a facility like Wyoming's, after all VT's was built as I said, in the early/mid 70's. I have not only watched VT practice in that building, I have played in it with friends on Sundays many times myself. While we were not pro's we never had a problem with punts and the like. You do a really nice job of research and an occasional error is to be expected.

Bottom line, I'm not here to debate a Hokie. I'm here to chat with WY fans. I get my fill of your type on the free board on the Sabre. Another of your types hangouts.... during football season or when you rarely win against us in other sports.

Have a good day!
Irish Hokie
Buckaroo

Wow! I guess you put me in my place. I must say I love the seething display of self righteousness you exhibit on every post. At least you're consistent, if not unfortunately immature.

Again,

Pokes 17
Hoos 10

If you want to debate that, I am all ears...
UVAMan04
Buckaroo

Hmmmm, second time I have seen you call a UVA poster immature. Any time now I expect to see "I know you are, but what am I". Your immediate responses have been to tell actual WY posters that we come and act tough, we do this and we do that. Obvious jealous Hokie blabber. I have talked football with these people and it really bothers you that they respond and have no issue with me. That my friend, makes you the sad individual in this. Again, you do not dispute what I say about the fieldhouse, you resort to calling me immature, thanks for the laugh. I was really impressed with your rundown of your VT related credentials, another nice touch. I almost immediately posted an apology for having doubted anything you say. LMAO

The game being played Sat. is between THE University of Virginia and Wyoming University, shouldn't you be over on the ECU board or maybe practicing up what you will say to the LSU fans? As stated, as nicely as I know how, I am NOT here to talk to you. This will be my last reply to anything you have to say. You are not worth my time and it has nothing to do with feeling superior. I am here to talk football with actual WY fans, not someone who begins their appearance trying to make themselves feel superior by attempting to cut UVA and it's posters.

Have a nice day little pathetic one. ;)
Irish Hokie
Buckaroo

You clearly require more than deep breathing my sad, little depressed hoo man...something more along the lines of medication might do the trick. Your lunatic ramblings need immediate psychiatric oversight. I do wish you safe travels to Laramie though..I trust and hope someone else will handle the driving, as you might get over anxious and do something crazy.

Now, onto the game....I think the biggest match up in this game will be the contest between UVA's D line versus the Poke offensive line. The winner of that match-up will decide the game. Any thoughts?
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Well, although their D-Line is really good, it just doesn't scare me as much as TCU's Ortiz/Blake. TCU will likely get a handful of sacks against Texas.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

This is great.. Hokie and Hoo fans smacking.. I can't wait to see what your boards look like during game week! :)
ImageImageImageImage
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

UVAMan04 wrote:Based on what I've read, tttgowyo I want to thank you for saying you will root for VT this year. You seem like the type that will fit right in. Remember though, you will only have one brief season to be their fan. Like them, you will live in shame and talk about nothing but football the rest of the year. Like North Carolinas battle cry "WTBBS", VT's is "WTFBS".

WTBBS = Wait Till Basketball Season
WTFBS = (?)

Can you fill in the (?)? If not, then you truely will qualify as a Hokie supporter, i.e. not the sharpest crayon in the box. :)

UVAman04,

You are welcome. Just to clarify, I will only be rooting for them when they play UVA, and only because of people like you. I probably shouldn't base this on one idiot as I am sure there are many great UVA fans out there. Anyway, I am allowing you to steer me way off track. I apologize, I should not be tlaking about VT on this forum, we are not playing VT (THANK GOD) It is a very good thing we are playing the second best program in the commonwealth of Virginia. Depite our differences, can you believe it is SO close to kickoff? Soon the smack talk won't matter. I hate preseason.... I can't wait.. Go Pokes..

GO POKES!!
UVAMan04
Buckaroo

I have no "differences" with you WY fans, with the obvious exception of who we pull for. ;) I personally cannot wait for kickoff and all that leads up to it on Friday and Saturday. Thank goodness I'm busy enough at work to make these next two days go by quickly.

Read a really nice article about your LB's that was linked on The Sabre. It spoke most of the 4 seniors though and I couldn't help but wonder about that. Two of them are back-ups. It didn't talk a lot about the other two starters. I fully expect our O line to be able to pick up your blitzes and give Sewell time to find his receivers, while maybe not for the deep bomb too often, I think a taste of our big pass catching tight ends and 245 lb fullback out of the backfield will be a test for your DBs. I sincerely hope WY does try to put 8 in the box as someone has mentioned. We saw that a lot last year and will be ready to take advantage of it. If you don't, then I expect you will see a lot of Peerman, Pearman and company. Look for Santi (listed as TE) to line up all over the field also. On the other side, with your young O line, I expect to see Sween quite often running for his life and unable to utilize your WR advantage. I'm still picking the Hoos by 2+ TDs and I think our defense will score at least once. This is not a slam, just my take on what will happen. Our guys will suck Oxygen or whatever it takes, they will not quit, they didn't quit last year and won't this year. Someone also said they think TCUs D line is better than ours. I have no issue saying that I sincerely believe you will hear much about our front 7 as the year progresses as one of the best in college football. We have an excellent rotation at Nose, two possible all american DEs and a core of LBs that will impress. Best defensive front 7 in Charlottesville in years. Of course, this is based on pre season. The games have yet to be played, that is the beauty of talking it up now. Everybody is right, to some degree or the other.
hoosgonnabeatwyo?
Buckaroo

Irish Hokie wrote:You clearly require more than deep breathing my sad, little depressed hoo man...something more along the lines of medication might do the trick. Your lunatic ramblings need immediate psychiatric oversight. I do wish you safe travels to Laramie though..I trust and hope someone else will handle the driving, as you might get over anxious and do something crazy.

Now, onto the game....I think the biggest match up in this game will be the contest between UVA's D line versus the Poke offensive line. The winner of that match-up will decide the game. Any thoughts?
If you really believe that is the key match up in this game then you should already know the outcome. While other position battles are debatable it's pretty unanimous that the 'Hoo D-Line is miles ahead of the Pokes big boys.

Go to the ECU board. You have no business here, and if you feel that you do, can it wait a week? I really SERIOUSLY doubt we will see you posting before the Pokes week 2 game. You put up a good front, but you're here to incite argument with 'Hoos. You don't know much about Wyoming as you claim you do. Fennis Combo? Great, anyone can look up a list of Wyomings most prolific athletes. It doesn't make you any more of a fan.

Uvaman04, like me, was here to talk with Wyo fans. Tech fans are like a parasite, they really are.
Thought it would add this to increase some of your inferiority complexes

UVABy20
Buckaroo

I love that these simpletons are still buying into IrishHokie's BS....This board is like a window into the world of the retard...I'm lovin it.....
Irish Hokie
Buckaroo

You Hoos are pathetic...I really don't give a rats droppings what you weenies think about my respect for the Pokes....oh and by the way, its Fennis Dembo, moron. You all prove your stripes to the Pokes in your needless, bitchy little remarks. You act like a bunch of cackling hens...

My personal favorite Poke is Jay Novacek...I grew up hating the Cowboys, but this guy was true class. Freaking Aikman throwing those 10-15 yards button-hooks (for you hoos that's a receiver option ) across the middle....nearly impossible to defend.

Now, onto the game: I observed a post about TCU's D line being at UVAs level or better. I contend you will need to minimize the disruption of their ends, Fitzgerald and Long, as they are the best players. Will be interesting to see if you can work the middle of their lines, and pass plays across the middle. Seeing Sween play, he appears to make mistakes often when he tries to do too much...thoughts?
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

So you have a better D Line huh? Yeah, I can agree with that. But, Who has the better Linebackers? Corners? Safeties? Wide Outs? Quarterback..Or Quarterbacks? I'd even put Jake Doss, or Ian Hetrick above Sewell. It takes more than just a D line to win games. And we pretty much have you beat everywhere else.
Wait! You might have a better Kicker, And I'd say that our coaching staffs are pretty equal. Considering yours are mediocre, and ours have been rebuilding since they've been here.
And let's not forget, Your in our House now. We show no compassion. You don't think our guys are holding a personal grudge for losing that game in Virginia? We come out hard and strong.

One other thing. I was on a Board in 04 when we went to the Vegas Bowl. We had a certain UCLA fan come into our board and start tearing up our team. Saying, we were too small. We shouldn't even have been considered to play against such a team as UCLA. That we were going to get our little tight assed jeans beat. That our players didn't even compare to the talent on the otherside of the field.
In the first quarter of that game the disrespect showed in the UCLA players. When a play was blown dead our defense was getting up off the ground and UCLA players would push them back down. Our players never retaliated against the UCLA players, until the next play. a 5-8 250 pound Dusty Hoffschnieder knocked not 1 but 2 UCLA lineman averaging 320 pounds back on their butts and sacked the quarterback. Just so you know, we won that game 24-21. We have better talent than that team, and the same coaches that brought us there. And we don't take to well to disrespect. Keep it up, We feed off of it.