Cheyenne South is a joke, not only do they steal the mascot

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
307Realist
Buckaroo

wylrae wrote:Oh well, maybe tweeking Louis L'Amour's "Riding for the Brand" will be successful; if not, maybe getting a couple more sets of uniforms so the Pokes can wear a different combination for every football game during the season will be successful.
I'd guess UW choosing "Ride for the Brand" had more to do with this http://cowboyethics.org/TenPrinciples.php than with Louis L'Amour. You'd think UW would just stop releasing slogans considering how miserably "Bring the Wood" failed. Maybe Christensen should spend less time worrying about slogans (Let's not forget he spawned "It's a whole new rodeo.") and uniforms and more time working on tackling drills and pass coverage.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

it is only lame because it is the same mascot AND colors, obviously. Duh, colors will be duplicated and mascots will be duplicated, but no reason for both
For what it is worth, both Sheridan and Cody are blue/yellow, broncs and played in the 4A North. Moorcroft and Green River and green/black and the wolves. Burns and Jackson are both black/orange and the broncs. Cokeville and Powell share both colors and mascots. I am surprised that there is not a duplicate of Rock Springs with black/orange colors and a tiger mascot.

In Cheyenne's defense, black and gold seems like an obvious choice for the color combination to me simply because the other schools in the city had combined black with red (Central) and blue (East). The only remaining primary color to pair with black was yellow or gold. As for the mascot, it seems to me to have a link to the Native American theme that they appear to have adopted as a nod to the city's namesake. It is also about as politically correct as expect sone can get while making that nod.

I don't particularly like the CU resemblance, but it seems to fit Cheyenne so well that it doesn't bother me that much. Besides, there are no other black/gold schools in 4A, which is more than I can say for the multitude of blue/yellow, black/orange and red/white/[fill in the blank] combinations. Besides, if you look around the state, no matter what the official colors are, everyone orders all-black uniforms and only changes the color of the numbres.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

until they get good doesn't really bother me that much: Buffalo has been dominant in 3A for many years and even beat South in a few things the past few years until their step up! But I'm kinda with you, wish they woulda been a bit more original on the name/mascot and colors, oh well....in the next few years hoping South takes a bite outta the Capitol City teams!!!
Go Bison(Buffalo that is)