Rockies' Gonzalez locked up for 7 more years

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Rockies locked up CarGo for 7 more, along with Tulowitzki. Great offseason for Colorado.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

If they can just keep a good pitching staff (healthy) and a good catcher, they should be a solid team.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Didn't they just have to deal with Helton's big contract hampering what the front office could do as far as talent? Now they are paying big money to both Tulo and CarGo for the next 5-7 years. Enjoy watching your two big offensive studs, and a pitching rotations filled with washed-up veterans and low-upside rookies.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Helton's contract came later in his career and was bigger than these two. Tulo and CarGo haven't peaked yet, IMO, whereas Helton got his contract at his peak or near it.. which has made it very difficult. But they'll be out from underneath Helton's contract here soon when he retires. This is as I recall, I may be wrong. I think it's a great deal locking these two guys up, provided they continue producing.
ImageImageImageImage
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Yes, it probably cost the Rockies less money in the long run to lock up Tulo and CarGo now, before they hit free agency/arbitration. However, by locking up that much money ($214 million) in just two players for the next 7 seasons, they severely limit what they can do in free agency and with the rest of their staff. On average, just those two guys will be making over $20 million a season, while the remaining 38 players on the active roster make about $70 million. How are you going to fit a couple more $5-10 mil per season deals into that without significantly raising your payroll?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Who owns the rockies? Are they hampered by money or just the balls to man up to somewhere even in the same stratosphere as the Phillies?
W-Y, Until I Die!