Rockies Manager Jim Tracy NL Manager of the Year

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/stor ... NHeadlines
NEW YORK -- Jim Tracy of Colorado won the NL Manager of the Year award on Wednesday -- and earned a new contract, too -- while Mike Scioscia of the Los Angeles Angels was selected for the AL honor.

Angels manager Mike Scioscia and Rockies manager Jim Tracy were named the AL and NL managers of the year. A breakdown of the voting:

Tracy became the second manager to win the award after taking over during the season, joining Jack McKeon for Florida in 2003. Less than an hour after the honor was announced, the Rockies said Tracy had been rewarded with a three-year contract.

Tracy received 29 first-place votes and two seconds for 151 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Scioscia got 15 first-place votes, 10 seconds and one third for 106 points.

The Rockies promoted Tracy from bench coach after Clint Hurdle was fired in late May and won the wild-card race. Scioscia kept the Angels going after the death of pitcher Nick Adenhart, and they won their fifth AL West title in six years.

"This award is a true honor and a testament to the perseverance of our players and staff," Scioscia said in a release. "As a team, we overcame several obstacles to put together a successful season in 2009."

Ron Gardenhire finished second in the AL voting for the second straight year and fifth time during his eight seasons as Minnesota manager. He also placed third in 2002, when Scioscia was honored for the first time, but has never won the award. Tony La Russa of the Cardinals, a four-time winner, was a distant second in the NL with 55 points.

Lou Piniella of the Cubs and Joe Maddon of the Rays were honored last year.

Colorado was 18-28 and 14½ games behind NL West-leading Los Angeles when Tracy was promoted from bench coach following Hurdle's dismissal on May 29. The Rockies responded to Tracy's steady hand, going 74-42 the rest of the way and taking the division race to the final weekend before settling for the wild card.

There was no Rocktober this year -- Colorado lost to Philadelphia in the division series -- but it was still quite the turnaround for the club and Tracy, who was fired after the Pittsburgh Pirates finished 68-94 in 2007.

The 53-year-old Tracy was out of baseball before he became the Rockies' bench coach in November 2008.

Scioscia managed the Angels to their third consecutive division title during one of his most difficult seasons in the dugout. Los Angeles has earned six postseason berths in the last eight years under Scioscia, who was a catcher for the Dodgers for 13 seasons and retired in 1994.

The Angels used 14 starting pitchers and played without sluggers Torii Hunter and Vladimir Guerrero for long stretches due to injuries. The team's biggest challenge was moving past the sorrow they felt when Adenhart was killed in a car accident in April.

Scioscia, who turns 51 on Nov. 27, was credited for giving his players time to grieve while gently insisting on accountability as an early slump lingered. Los Angeles responded by surging to another division title and making it to the AL championship series, eliminating postseason nemesis Boston along the way.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1039 ... op-manager

DENVER - Jim Tracy received his rewards on Wednesday for taking over a last-place club in late May and leading the Colorado Rockies to the postseason.

Tracy was selected NL Manager of the Year by the BBWAA, and moments later the Rockies announced he agree to a three-year contract to remain the manager of the team.

The Rockies also announced Wednesday that the entire coaching staff from 2009 will return. Specifically, those coming back for 2010 are pitching coach Bob Apodaca, hitting coach Don Baylor, third base coach Rich Dauer, bench coach Tom Runnels, first base coach Glenallen Hill and bullpen coach Jim Wright.

Tracy, 53, led the Rockies to a record of 74-42 (.638) in his four-plus months as manager of the team. The fifth manager in club history, he took over on May 29, 2009, when the team had a record of 18-28. From May 29 through the end of the season the Rockies were 32 games over .500 and posted the second-best record in the Major Leagues in that span, trailing only the World Champion New York Yankees' mark of 76-39 (.661).

The club finished with a franchise-record 92 wins (92-70) and a franchise-best .568 winning percentage. Colorado earned a postseason berth by capturing the National League wild card for the second time in the past three years. The Rockies also were the NL wild card in 1995.

Tracy became the 16th manager in history to take over a team midseason and guide it to the postseason.

Tracy became the third manager in Rockies history to lead his team to the postseason, joining Baylor (1995) and Clint Hurdle (2007).
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

I don't agree with him being the NL manager of the year. He took over a team, mid-season, that was poised to get out of a funk. 2 days after he took over...the Rockies did just that...and hence, Tracy becomes the NL Manager of the year? What?

And I don't agree with Ringolsby or his assessment...that Tracy will bring a WS championship to Colorado...it takes more than just a manager Wyopoke!!!

"The next few years will be about spelling out a world championship in Colorado, an opportunity Tracy was denied in both Los Angeles and Pittsburgh."

Huh?!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Mcpreachy how can you argue this he deserved it
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

gopokes1399 wrote:Mcpreachy how can you argue this he deserved it
2 words...Charlie Manual. Or maybe 3 more...Tony La Russa.

Tracy, are you kidding me? It is like putting on new underwear, of course things changed! Mickey Fricken Mouse could have managed the Rockies to that finish...it was inevitable.
Dear Karma,

MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I don't know if the Rocks would have won with Hurdle.. it's possible. But.. Tracy got credit for the Rocks putting together the best record in MLB after May or June or whenever he took them over. His job was just not to screw their momentum up.
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:Tracy got credit for the Rocks putting together the best record in MLB after May or June or whenever he took them over. His job was just not to screw their momentum up.
You must be confusing the Rockies with the Cards or Yanks Mr. T. Either that, or you have been hitting the homer-sauce this morning. Which, if so, I am jealous.
Dear Karma,

MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Didn't Colorado have the best record in the majors after May 15 or May 28 or something? I heard that several times throughout their September/October run.. or something.

And yes, the homer sauce is delicious.. I haven't had near enough this week. :beer:
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:Didn't Colorado have the best record in the majors after May 15 or May 28 or something? I heard that several times throughout their September/October run.. or something.
They could have had the best whatever, and they still didn't make the playoffs, win a playoff game - divisional or championship series, or the big dog, so who cares. Kind of like Dave & Kevin commenting that the cowboys (last night) only needed XX points to break the all time record for scoring at the AA...who cares, it means nothing. ;)

Charlie Manual should have won it...back to back series appearances & all.
Dear Karma,

gopokes1399
Blog Team

regardless of what you think the right man won
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

gopokes1399 wrote:regardless of what you think the right man won
I say the same in reverse to you...regardless of what you think the wrong man won.

That is the beauty in a message board. We agree to disagree, and can banter the why's all day, but you are not going to change my mind, nor am I going to change yours! :twocents:
Dear Karma,

MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I want to see if you guys can try to change each other's mind. FLOOR IS OPEN FOR DEBATE!!

:thumb:
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:I want to see if you guys can try to change each other's mind. FLOOR IS OPEN FOR DEBATE!!

:thumb:
Troublemaker. :tickedoff:
Dear Karma,

gopokes1399
Blog Team

everyone expected the Phillies to be good they were the returning champs the Dodgers have amazing talent everyone expected it from them but you could argue joe torre because without manny they won stil the cardinals had a good team in a terrible division and were on top all year the rockies had to climb out and with a new manager they did so
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

gopokes1399 wrote:everyone expected the Phillies to be good they were the returning champs the Dodgers have amazing talent everyone expected it from them but you could argue joe torre because without manny they won stil the cardinals had a good team in a terrible division and were on top all year the rockies had to climb out and with a new manager they did so
Ah poop. Here we go.

Do you know how difficult it is for a team to make just "make" the WS? Now multiply that by 1000, and you get how difficult it is to have back-to-back trips. Chuck kept it all together, and got them there. Attitudes, egos, and all. That was great team management.

Like I have said before...the turnaround was bound to happen, and Tracy just happen to be there, right time, right place. Put anyone in place at that transition point, and the same result transpires. The true stick will be to see what happens in 2010...will Tracy get fired for not finishing above .500, or not making the playoffs? From NL MOY to unemployed...whoops! ;)
Dear Karma,

gopokes1399
Blog Team

I agree Charlie Manuel is a great manager no dispute there at all and I also believe the Rockies were bound to turn it around but they werent going to get it done under Hurdle that was evident, Tracy got the most out of his players as does Manuel but without 4 MVP caliber players I am not disagreeing with the Manuel statement but i think the manger of the year award went to the right person the one i was upset with was that Ron Gardenhire did not get the AL award