Montana Gris Move to FBS Thread

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

So MrTitlest, I have been hearing for years about Montana moving up. Whats your view on it? Will it benefit for UM? What is there to gain? You will be joining a level in which the best you will EVER be able to do is a 3rd place BCS Bowl game(Meaning the days of national titles is over) How will Montana handle the recruiting change? There will be no more "drop downs". What happens to fan support if they struggle for years? Please share your views. Where do you want the Griz to be in 10 years.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

I go back and forth about the subject. I think a move to the WAC or MWC would be cool and I think most of our fans would be really excited about it. I hate seeing the same crap-ass schools come to Missoula and leave with a loss. The Big Sky conf. is home to two of the worst schools in 1-AA football, Sacramento State and Northern Colorado. Northern Colorado took a BRUTAL loss to Chadron State this year, Montana State lost to them last year. So in some aspects I'd love to move up just to see better competition.

A lot of people feel that a bowl game is kind of a slap in the face because any swinging dick of a team can play them.. 6-5? No problem, come play in the HolidayInn.com Bowl sponsored by [Insert internet company here]. 6-5 wouldn't get you into the 1-AA playoffs. 7-4 doesn't usually get you into the playoffs. I love how 1-AA football decides its champion on the field.. the best team wins. Last year's Boise State fiasco is the reason I wouldn't want the Griz to move up. Anyone else know of a sport where an undefeated team doesn't win the championship? Anyone? Me either. It's poop.

If Montana were to move up it would go one of two ways: Boise State or Idaho. Montana has better facilities, recruiting, prestige, and fan support than Idaho did when they moved up. Idaho was coming off of some nice Big Sky conf. titles and a national championship, but after Dave Dickensen bitch slapped them in the 1995 semi finals game, they went to pot shortly afterward. Their Sun Belt and WAC games have been less than memorable. Boise State on the other hand has had much success, and to a lesser extent, Nevada. Boise had all of the factors that Montana has, except Boise has corporate backing.. people to finance and boost the program. Montana does not have that. Boise State has several LARGE companies in their area who help the program (not just football).. Montana really only has St. Patrick Hospital, Washington Corp., and that's about it. That's what makes me think Montana would go the way of Idaho.. we don't have the big money backers to help the programs out in their initial years.

The facilities at Montana are great.. football stadium is top notch and probably outdraws some MWC/WAC teams in terms of attendance. The Adams Center is pretty decent, seats about 8000 or so. In terms of student population we're right about the same as Wyoming. One thing that would disappear is Cat/Griz.. one of the oldest college football rivalries in the game today. 104th (??) meeting is this year.. that's a lot of damn football between the two schools! If Montana moved up, the game with MSU would go away.. unless the Montana Board of Regents (the ones in charge of the MT university system) decided that we had to bring our bratty little sister with us, in that case the Cats would be f'ed.

In 10 years I'd like to see Montana move up.. I think if we continue to see the success that we have, coupled with some national titles, and increased fan support that would require ANOTHER addition be built onto the stadium (this year it's being expanded to 25,000+), then I'd say the time is right. Missoula is growing economically, the support reaches all over Montana, Northern Idaho, Eastern Washington, and a little into Northern Wyoming.. I'd say that's a big enough fan base to move up. If we start drawing 25-27K every game, I think they'll pull the trigger, assuming the WAC and MWC would want us. However, there's a moratorium for moving up until 2011, so it'll be at least then until you see Montana with the big boys.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:I go back and forth about the subject. I think a move to the WAC or MWC would be cool and I think most of our fans would be really excited about it. I seeing the same crap-ass schools come to Missoula and leave with a loss. The Big Sky conf. is home to two of the worst schools in 1-AA football, Sacramento State and Northern Colorado. Northern Colorado took a BRUTAL loss to Chadron State this year, Montana State lost to them last year. So in some aspects I'd love to move up just to see better competition.

A lot of people feel that a bowl game is kind of a slap in the face because any swinging dick of a team can play them.. 6-5? No problem, come play in the HolidayInn.com Bowl sponsored by [Insert internet company here]. 6-5 wouldn't get you into the 1-AA playoffs. 7-4 doesn't usually get you into the playoffs. I love how 1-AA football decides its champion on the field.. the best team wins. Last year's Boise State fiasco is the reason I wouldn't want the Griz to move up. Anyone else know of a sport where an undefeated team doesn't win the championship? Anyone? Me either. It's .

If Montana were to move up it would go one of two ways: Boise State or Idaho. Montana has better facilities, recruiting, prestige, and fan support than Idaho did when they moved up. Idaho was coming off of some nice Big Sky conf. titles and a national championship, but after Dave Dickensen bitch slapped them in the 1995 semi finals game, they went to pot shortly afterward. Their Sun Belt and WAC games have been less than memorable. Boise State on the other hand has had much success, and to a lesser extent, Nevada. Boise had all of the factors that Montana has, except Boise has corporate backing.. people to finance and boost the program. Montana does not have that. Boise State has several LARGE companies in their area who help the program (not just football).. Montana really only has St. Patrick Hospital, Washington Corp., and that's about it. That's what makes me think Montana would go the way of Idaho.. we don't have the big money backers to help the programs out in their initial years.

The facilities at Montana are great.. football stadium is top notch and probably outdraws some MWC/WAC teams in terms of attendance. The Adams Center is pretty decent, seats about 8000 or so. In terms of student population we're right about the same as Wyoming. One thing that would disappear is Cat/Griz.. one of the oldest college football rivalries in the game today. 104th (??) meeting is this year.. that's a lot of damn football between the two schools! If Montana moved up, the game with MSU would go away.. unless the Montana Board of Regents (the ones in charge of the MT university system) decided that we had to bring our bratty little sister with us, in that case the Cats would be f'ed.

In 10 years I'd like to see Montana move up.. I think if we continue to see the success that we have, coupled with some national titles, and increased fan support that would require ANOTHER addition be built onto the stadium (this year it's being expanded to 25,000+), then I'd say the time is right. Missoula is growing economically, the support reaches all over Montana, Northern Idaho, Eastern Washington, and a little into Northern Wyoming.. I'd say that's a big enough fan base to move up. If we start drawing 25-27K every game, I think they'll pull the trigger, assuming the WAC and MWC would want us. However, there's a moratorium for moving up until 2011, so it'll be at least then until you see Montana with the big boys.
Exactly, well said. There a lot of pros and cons. But a move up would build Montana as a program and as a school over the years. Attendance wise you guys would already be in the Top 5 for attendance in the WAC. Hawaii averages 40K, along with Fresno and soon to be Boise, but the rest are pathetic. Your former Big Sky rival Nevada can barely manage 15K a game :roll:
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Quick note: Montana has a losing record vs. Idaho, Boise, and Nevada... however, we still own Idaho's brown jug because they're too chicken poop to come get it back. We took it from them and kept it.... after they joined 1-A.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:Quick note: Montana has a losing record vs. Idaho, Boise, and Nevada... however, we still own Idaho's brown jug because they're too chicken to come get it back. We took it from them and kept it.... after they joined 1-A.
You guys can beat Nevada and Idaho. Also you might have a shot at Boise, Portland State was an INT away from beating them on the blue turf 3 years ago. Its tough to win there though, Boise has a home field advantage like no other.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

We'd pound Idaho's faces into the ground.. just like 2003. Nevada is a lot tougher than most give them credit for.. I think they're a good team in a bad city.. hard to get a lot of excitement for the team in Reno.. since it's not the only game in town. Boise's home field advantage = Montana's home field advantage. Very hard to win in Washington-Grizzly. The sound level is only going to be louder next year when the expansion is built and done.. new level, 2000 more people, a little more enclosed.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:We'd pound Idaho's faces into the ground.. just like 2003. Nevada is a ugher than most give them credit for.. I think they're a good team in a bad city.. hard to get a lot of excitement for the team in Reno.. since it's not the only game in town. Boise's home field advantage = Montana's home field advantage. Very hard to win in Washington-Grizzly. The sound level is only going to be louder next year when the expansion is built and done.. new level, 2000 more people, a little more enclosed.
So that would bring it to 25K? A little higher? That is unheard of for an FCS school.

As for Nevada, I can't stand a team that attacks players and coaches like they do. They are hands down the most undisciplined team on the west coast

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ufhtIUAWDFQ

There is one difference between the Griz's home field advantage and Boise's, the Griz don't have a dark red football field that they blend in with :lol: I can't stand the Donkies either, looking forward when they play Hawaii, 50,000 people strong. Every single one of those people is sick and tired of BSU winning the WAC. Boise has no clue what they are in for :twisted:

Anyways back to topic. How are Montana's other athletic programs? I remember their B-Ball squad sending Nevada home early in the tourney 2 years ago.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

25,000 is a lot, but Appalachian packs in 28,000 (lots of grass end of the endzone tickets sold..), plus Grambling and Southern pack in a ridiculous amount occasionally.

And believe me, I'd LOVE to see a maroon field.. haha. The other athletic programs are good.. womens backetball has been at the top of the Big Sky for YEARS.. consistently one of the best in the Western US. Mens team is coming back around, sent Nevada packin' a couple years ago.. they're getting there.
ImageImageImageImage