Hunter Thompson at Pine Bluffs

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

So is anyone taking note on this kid out East, 6-10 and still growing as a sophomore!!! Being recruited by many, many schools such as Kansas etc.....I sure hope that UW is looking closely at this kid and if he hits our mold, we truly could use a potential 7 footer in the future.
I'm going out on Friday night to watch him play and excited to do so.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

There has been positive press about him...some including coming to Wyo, I think. But I think he has said that his dream would be to play at Kansas or somewhere big and has history like that. So, if they come calling, the Pokes don't really have a chance.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

The :57 mark is great. Poor Burns players look like little kids.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2961108/hig ... /216685428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I think Hunter's most definitely on our radar. It would be awesome to see him play for Wyoming!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

He has a sweet jumper. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2961108/hig ... /207966392" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come to UW Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Our families are close. Hunter is a great kid who is going to be a monster in college. He's been tearing up the AAU scene in Utah for a few years now. I know for a fact that Papa Shy and company have been pulling out all the stops with him. He's gotten the full VIP treatment to the CU game, as well as taking a few unofficial visits with his team to watch games this season. He's high on Wyoming, but he's also said that his dream is to play for Kansas. As long as the Jayhawks stay away I think we've got a pretty good shot at him.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote:Our families are close. Hunter is a great kid who is going to be a monster in college. He's been tearing up the AAU scene in Utah for a few years now. I know for a fact that Papa Shy and company have been pulling out all the stops with him. He's gotten the full VIP treatment to the CU game, as well as taking a few unofficial visits with his team to watch games this season. He's high on Wyoming, but he's also said that his dream is to play for Kansas. As long as the Jayhawks stay away I think we've got a pretty good shot at him.
How likely is that? Has he received interest from teams outside the Rocky Mountain area?

This is not meant as a knock on him, he looks legit. My concern is that he is playing against kids that are not at the same level. That video showed him playing kids obviously outmatched by his size as well as his skill. Is the attention he's getting because his size or his skill or both? I don't know and was just curious how he matches against kids his own skill level i.e. you see some of our recruits this upcoming season and they are dominating against kids going to other colleges. I can say with a high level of certainty that the kid guarding Hunter at the :57 mark of that video will not be taking his talents to South Beach.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:How likely is that? Has he received interest from teams outside the Rocky Mountain area?

This is not meant as a knock on him, he looks legit. My concern is that he is playing against kids that are not at the same level. That video showed him playing kids obviously outmatched by his size as well as his skill. Is the attention he's getting because his size or his skill or both? I don't know and was just curious how he matches against kids his own skill level i.e. you see some of our recruits this upcoming season and they are dominating against kids going to other colleges. I can say with a high level of certainty that the kid guarding Hunter at the :57 mark of that video will not be taking his talents to South Beach.
I'm not sure how likely or unlikely it is. Last I checked I hadn't heard anything about Kansas being in contact with him.

Hunter's getting a lot of attention because of his size (obviously), but he's been blowing up at his AAU team in Utah, too. He was invited to an AAU "all-star" camp earlier this fall and got high marks. There are some recruiting services that are starting to pick up on him, but I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of hype until next season. He's only a sophomore in high school right now, so there's no sense in hyping him up too much until they can see him progress. I've seen how much progress he's made over the years, and I can guarantee that he's a legit D1 prospect.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

WYO1016 - Since you know Hunter and his family it's your personal responsibility to try to persuade him to be a Cowboy :winky:
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Maybe you should give his family a sweet "deal" on some insurance...That's not the definition of recruiting violation at all...is it? ;)
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:Maybe you should give his family a sweet "deal" on some insurance...That's not the definition of recruiting violation at all...is it? ;)
Not at all highly illegal in the insurance world either, so I guess I'll give it a shot ;)
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

he's got a sweet outside shot and I liked what i saw, i think he'll be even better once he puts on lbs on, noticed he didn't like to bang down low, but coulda been that game. Sky's the limit for this kid, as I'm excited for him with KU looking at him, but he'd contribute to UW way better, but that's my bias coming out, lol
Looking forward to keeping him on my radar to go watch and develop even more!!!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:Our families are close. Hunter is a great kid who is going to be a monster in college. He's been tearing up the AAU scene in Utah for a few years now. I know for a fact that Papa Shy and company have been pulling out all the stops with him. He's gotten the full VIP treatment to the CU game, as well as taking a few unofficial visits with his team to watch games this season. He's high on Wyoming, but he's also said that his dream is to play for Kansas. As long as the Jayhawks stay away I think we've got a pretty good shot at him.
How likely is that? Has he received interest from teams outside the Rocky Mountain area?

However I think his talent levels will be accurately assessed in the AAU arena not Wyoming High school. If he is playing in the AAU tournaments he will get a lot of looks from big time schools! He looks like a stud to me!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:

Good to know. I am not familiar with high school sports in the slightest. What is AAU? I have heard it brought up on other threads. Is this like a "traveling team" league where only the best players play?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Good to know. I am not familiar with high school sports in the slightest. What is AAU? I have heard it brought up on other threads. Is this like a "traveling team" league where only the best players play?
AAU is the Association of Amateur Athletics. It's pretty much exactly what you said, traveling basketball teams that you have to try out for that play against each other. It takes a lot of dedication to be on one of these teams, so only the kids that are really serious about playing at the next level even try out. It's the best of the best from each region playing against each other. College scouts love to go to the games because they get to watch their prospects against other high level players, and they get to see a lot of prospects in one trip.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

WYO1016 wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Good to know. I am not familiar with high school sports in the slightest. What is AAU? I have heard it brought up on other threads. Is this like a "traveling team" league where only the best players play?
AAU is the Association of Amateur Athletics. It's pretty much exactly what you said, traveling basketball teams that you have to try out for that play against each other. It takes a lot of dedication to be on one of these teams, so only the kids that are really serious about playing at the next level even try out. It's the best of the best from each region playing against each other. College scouts love to go to the games because they get to watch their prospects against other high level players, and they get to see a lot of prospects in one trip.
Amateur Athletic Union to be technical.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:
Amateur Athletic Union to be technical.
Derp. Got my acronyms mixed up. Stupid day job...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Thanks for the info guys. Lets hope Hunter is as legit as he seems and hope harder that he likes the brown and gold.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

I know reading that article about him in the Utah All-star game that that guy the covered the event had some good things to say about Hunter. Stay in Wyoming and then go beat Kansas! That would be a lot more fun than playing for the jayhawks. haha
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

yeah, unless he likes coming off the bench, hence what probably would happen at KU, but who knows for sure, we still got over 2 years to see his progression, time will tell